1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What are you drinking right now?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by VMan, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

I'll report back. Thanks.

2. cocostella

cocostella Senior member

Just cracked a bottle of High West Whiskey "Bourye" and enjoying it neat. Will add coupla' drops of branch water, then finish with a few rocks in a bit. Bummer they're not gonna' make this anymore. Glad I grabbed a bottle. Have any of you tried Temperance Trader bourbon? Distilled in Portland (so famous for their whiskey, I know) and pretty smooth for $27.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  3. Alter

Alter Senior member

Thanks! The local liquor store has the full range of Chartreuse so it was confusing. Haven't been to a bar recently due to futago chan but will order one next chance.

Having another Last Word now. Really nice cocktail.

Actually, the reason I bought the Chartreuse is because I have a near full bottle of Luxardo that I want to use up. Seems that SF groupthink is that The Last Word is just that so thought i would take a chance. Glad I did. I bought the Luxardo to make Aviations but found that the taste didn't do much for me. This cocktail is much more to my liking.

4. b1os

b1os Senior member

Although they are very different, +1

Had a Paper Plane thingy yesterday. Used what I had - 4 Roses, Campari, Ramazotti Amaro, lemon juice. Equal parts. It was ok, but just ok. Probably better with Nonino (and/or a different bourbon).

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  5. alexg

alexg Senior member

An old fashioned. I followed this recipe exactly, yet it tasted a bit off. Can anyone tell me where I went wrong?

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

6. b1os

b1os Senior member

Um.. why not give it a simple stir as opposed to spill half of it? Anyways, I'm far from an expert of Old Fashioned, but the IBA recipe is a little different. And I guess the IBA recipe is decent.

They use far higher Angostura:Bourbon-ratio. Like twice as much. Also, they don't muddle the orange and cherry. If you muddle, just slightly muddle orange peel.

Oh yeah, and the obvious...

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

PS: Yes, I realized you were kidding. At least I hope you were. :D

7. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Everything about that video is so bad, it should be a parody. That bartender does almost every single thing wrong:

• Glass is ridiculously oversized (yes, this matters)
    • If you want fruit, that orange slice had too much pulp and too little rind
    • You should never ever, EVER, EVER use one of those horrible dayglo red maraschinos
    • She didn't muddle
    • Crushed ice is an abomination
    • 3oz is too much spirit
    • An old fashioned is not AT ALL like a Manhattan. At all.
    • She's not really clear on why it is called an old-fashioned.

Trust me, we can save you. You first have to decide if you want fruit or no (this is a big debate). I like them both ways, but with fruit:

• Take an old-fashioned glass or tumbler
    • Add a chunk of orange with more skin than pulp
    • Add a REAL maraschino cherry (Google Fabri or Luxardo -- they'll blow your mind)
    • Add a few dashes bitters
    • Add either a sugar cube or some simple syrup (I use syrup)
    • Muddle, taking care to express some orange oil
    • Add ice (larger the better)
    • Add 2oz spirit of your choice (Rye or Bourbon generally)
    • Stir.
    • Enjoy.

Makes a world of difference to do a half-decent job with this cocktail.

~ H

1 person likes this.
  8. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

9. b1os

b1os Senior member

10. b1os

b1os Senior member

BTW, how long does a jar of maraschino cherries keep in the fridge? I always hesitate to buy one because of the price.

11. alexg

alexg Senior member

Sorry, I probably should've made it more clear that I did not actually attempt that monstrosity. Honestly though, I don't think I'd have too big a problem with being served that in a bar. She poured like half a bottle of bourbon into one drink. For more outrage, learn how to make a mint julep. It's basically like a mojito, but with bourbon.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

There's also this excellent instructional video from a profesional bartending instructor on how to make a daiquiri.

12. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

what are they in liquid-wise? I haven't had a jar in so long I can't even remember but I imagine they would last quite a while... on the order of months I would think. I do know, thanks to my great uncle, that cherries jarred in brandy or whiskey last for YEARS and still get you just as deliciously wasted! :happy:

13. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Some of the best tequila I've ever had I refer to as "The Porcelain Penis" due to the white ceramic bottle with blue trim that it comes in.

15. Kid Nickels

Matusalem mojito... never had the rum before so thought I'd try it.

16. alexg

alexg Senior member

Pineapple mojito with Appleton White. Probably not a Styleforum approved drink, but refreshing and delicious. Also made a Ramos Gin Fizz before.

17. Kid Nickels

c'mon... SF approved drink.. who gives a shit... sounds good! Did you just add pineapple juice or some kind of liqueur? How's the Appleton? I almost bought that instead of the Matusalem but from what I read I wasn't sure it would be right for a regular mojito. Of course it was mostly guesswork! :happy:

18. alexg

alexg Senior member

I just don't want the other kids to be mean to me for my fruity girl drink. :(

I had a fresh pineapple so I just muddled some into each glass. I'm not a big white rum drinker in general so I'm not really in a position to compare the flavor, but I thought it turned out pretty decent. The only other options the store had were Bacardi and Captain Morgan, so I was pretty much stuck with it. I've always assumed white rum was one of those things that has a small range of quality and wasn't worth splurging on. Is that wrong?

19. Kid Nickels

given the options I'm certain you choose wisely, but I'm no expert either.... if b1os comes around he can fill us in about the rum... he recommended one to me a while back but unfortunately I've forgotten what it was. Cheers!

20. b1os

b1os Senior member

I'm no expert either. Actually I'm pretty much on the same level of knowledge like you guys. Fact is that white rum just ages in metal cask, so they don't get the flavor from the casks that dark rum does (right?). Anyhow, I think there are noticeable differences w/r/t taste. The origin is probably the most important aspect.
    I have Pampero blanco at the moment, and it's - imo - much better than Havanna 3 (which was my standard before but unarguably is no good white rum). I strongly prefer dark rum neat though, just more going on there.

Last edited: May 6, 2012