1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What are you drinking right now?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by VMan, Oct 25, 2006.

1. b1os

b1os Senior member

Simple syrup costs like 4-5€ for 0.7l. It looks nice, doesn't cristallize and keeps for ages. Not sure whether it's that stupid, but you can obviously make it for yourself. ;) My rec for white rum is Pampero. So do you have vermouth rosso now?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  2. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

No, the only dry vermouth in my town was Martini brand. Which doesn't taste bad, but I can tell it isn't exactly nice.
    Anyway, homemade simple syrup is practically free, keeps for ages, and doesn't crystallize either.

Having a White Lady now. Holy hell, I totally understand the love this gets.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  3. b1os

b1os Senior member

Gin Basil Smash

4. cocostella

cocostella Senior member

To be honest, Zacapa is in that new "hmmm, taste kinda' like brandy" style... though it is DELICIOUS. For a less sweet rum, I'm really digging the Appleton Estate "Reserve."

5. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

That looks really interesting.

Tonight I had one of my mixes of OJ, amaretto and dark rum. A sweet and nutty standby.

6. Cunrad

Cunrad Senior member

After reading the last few pages I made a compulsory order of some (most) of the stuff mentioned. And some other liquors. :satisfied:

7. b1os

b1os Senior member

Well, have fun! :)

8. alexg

alexg Senior member

Ramos gin fizz. Probably not made up to SF standards but whatever.

9. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

JW Black is not that useful unless you drink scotch straight. I don't find myself reaching for white rum that often either. I would definitely buy CdV and StG before either. YMMV.

10. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Sidecar with Pierre Ferrand 1840 Cognac. Good stuff.

11. Crawford

Crawford Senior member

Cocktail:

1 oz Gin (Bombay)
    1 oz Dry Vermouth
    1 oz Triple Sec
    Juice of half a lime.
    Dash orange bitters.

Shaken over ice. I really enjoyed it. My girl enjoyed (less than me) but said she probably would not have more than one.

Followed by:

1.5 oz Cuban Rum
    Juice of quarter lime.
    Two lime wedges
    Topped with Coke.

Never actually added lime juice to the mixture before... Interesting, but I think I prefer it without the added lime juice.

12. b1os

b1os Senior member

Not to be nitpicky and such, just trying to help you replicate your drinks. Don't go by measures like half a lemon, half a lime etc. A lemon can have 4cl, 6cl, or even 3cl. Same with lime.

Just had 1oz of Chartreuse on the rocks as a digestif after I ate too much tartare.

@AC: Probably true. As always, it's to personal taste.
    Next on my list are Drambuie, St Germain and a bourbon. If I'll order Peychaud's online, I'll get some Gran Classico, too. BTW, anyone had Cocchi Storico?

Anyone got a recommendation for a decent Calvados for mixing (and probably enjoyable neat, too)?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  13. b1os

b1os Senior member

Yun Shan Yin Zhen. 4g, 200ml, 80°C, 3 minutes. 2nd brew 1.5 minutes. Not bad, but not my favorite.

Gyokuro Hikari. 6g, 100ml, 2 minutes. Following brews no more than ten seconds. Had like 7 or 8 brews, up to the sixth pretty flavorful.

Sidecar

Oh, and I have found a use for my Mariage Frères teas which I didn't use up in the last couple of months. :( One year (d'oh...) and they've -- obviously -- lost most of their flavor. Cold brew extracts most of it though without becoming overly bitter, so I'll use my Tama ryoku cha and fuji jama for that. Hopefully my Opium Hill (thé bleu (oolong)) from Vietnam has kept up... will try tomorrow.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  14. b1os

b1os Senior member

Three in a row...

Sencha Ariake. 4g, 200ml. First brew, 70°C, 1 minute. 2nd-4th brew 70°C, 2-4 seconds. Fifth, sixth brew 80°C, 12-15 seconds. Seventh brew 95°C, 30 seconds.
    I'm a little disappointed. The first brew was flavorful, the 2nd to sixth were too watery. I much prefer a stronger Gyokuro, even if it's twice the price.

Sazerac with Cognac.

15. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

Enjoying a bit of Highland Park.

16. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Russian standard vodka and tonic. Pretty damn good

17. b1os

b1os Senior member

Have you considered getting a gin for Gin & Tonics? Bombay Sapphire, Tanqueray or Beefeater. You'll be surprised. It will actually add flavor as opposed to add %.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  18. denning

denning Senior member

Last Night:
    Dalwhinnie Distiller's Edition
    Courvoisier 12
    Bookers bourbon

Carte Blanche

19. b1os

b1os Senior member

Mariage Frères' Opium Hill (Oolong). 200ml, 95°C. First brew with 100ml, seven seconds for "opening" up the leaves. 2nd brew 200ml, 55s. 3rd 45s. 4th 55s. 6th 1m05s. 7th 100ml, 1m30s.
    Less oxidized than the Fuji Jama or Tama Ryoku Cha but still lost most of it's flavor. :brick:

20. b1os

b1os Senior member

Sam Smith's cider with dinner.

Sazerac.