What are you drinking right now?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by VMan, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Crawford

Crawford Senior member

1.5 CC Sherry Cask
    0.5 Sweet Vemouth
    0.5 Dubonnet
    3 Dashes Cherry Bitters
    3 Dashes Angostura Bitters

Stirred with three cubes, in a rocks glass, no garnish. Didn't really labour over this one, just quick and easy and delicious.

2. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

dill muddled w/juice from a myer lemon + angostura bitters + cayenne pepper, mixed w/tequila (bad choice, maybe?), poured over ice w/a splash of lemonade + a splash of soda

not sure how I feel about it, would serve as a palate cleanser if not for the tequila. thinking about trying it with vodka + no lemonade :-/

3. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Right now, about an ounce of my favorite grappa: Jacopo Poli Sassacaia. Over the weekend, some Verdehlo, French 75s, some Pennicillin, a Rusty Nail, and a Rum Old Fashioned. Yummy weekend.
    No surprise (first one I've made with Martin Miller's however):
    Nice! I really enjoy MM.

4. Jerome

Jerome Senior member

Laphroaig (10yrs), one litre bottle, still good but I also must admit that the quality has gone down a bit again...need to buy more of the 30 yr one its from 300€/per handle, though...

5. ama

ama Senior member

Laphroaig (10yrs), one litre bottle, still good but I also must admit that the quality has gone down a bit again...need to buy more of the 30 yr one its from 300€/per handle, though...

Maybe its a European thing but a handle of Laphroaig 30 would be amazing! I bought three bottles last year for $200 each. Its a classical whisky.

6. oDD_LotS

oDD_LotS Senior member

Had a Rogue Hazelnut Spice Rum earlier this evening. Once I knock out some Cost Management work I've got hanging over my head I might go for a Basil Hayden or some scotch (have a tasty cask-strength single malt I picked up over the weekend).

Trying to get my tolerance built up before the wine fest my wife's taking me to for my birthday!

7. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Having a short pour of Weller's 12 that's had vanilla bean and orange zest soaking in it. Heretical, but tasty nonetheless.

8. ama

ama Senior member

Having a short pour of Weller's 12 that's had vanilla bean and orange zest soaking in it. Heretical, but tasty nonetheless.

In my opinion, Weller is a better choice for that treatment than Eagle Rare. None the less, I am getting my stake and kindling ready for you. [​IMG]

9. Jerome

Jerome Senior member

Maybe its a European thing but a handle of Laphroaig 30 would be amazing! I bought three bottles last year for $200 each. Its a classical whisky.
    Where did you buy that? As far as I know that would be quite cheap for the 30 yr old...I must say that I am and was quite a fan of Laphroaig but again have to admit that at least the younger one got 'thinner'- hope that anyone in that distillery is reading this...

10. Aaron01

Aaron01 Senior member

$200 is cheap for a 30 year single malt.
    Yamazaki 18 year old straight up. Very nice. Bummed it took me so long to discover this..
    Saw this today on sale in the high double digits, was pretty tempted, also saw the Hibiki 12, which is a new arrival to my usual liquor store.
    Very overrated and not that tasty, but if ya like it, ya like it...
    I am in agreement with you. Never understood all of the praise this beer gets.
    Agreed, and although Delerium Noel is pretty tasty, most anything by Ommegang Brewery is as good or better. Also, Russian River Brewing Co.
    Shit [​IMG] just impulsed a bottle of this, along with Yeast Hoist, now I is regretting. Fuck it, half of the fun is trying new brews

11. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

Dont get down about it, there are plenty of people who love Tremens, but it just didnt do it for me.

12. ama

ama Senior member

Finishing off the last little bit of an old Ardbeg 17 that I still had. A lovely "softer" Ardbeg. I will be opening one of my Rollercoasters to replace it in the cabinet.
    Where did you buy that? As far as I know that would be quite cheap for the 30 yr old...I must say that I am and was quite a fan of Laphroaig but again have to admit that at least the younger one got 'thinner'- hope that anyone in that distillery is reading this...
    In Minnesota, pretty far from Central Europe. I don't think the regular 10 is a very good value anymore. It as crept up from ~$25 to ~$45 in the last few years while the 10 CS has only moved from ~$50 to ~$55. I would take the 10 CS any day.
    Saw this today on sale in the high double digits, was pretty tempted, also saw the Hibiki 12, which is a new arrival to my usual liquor store. Shit [​IMG] just impulsed a bottle of this, along with Yeast Hoist, now I is regretting. Fuck it, half of the fun is trying new brews
    High double digits is a great price for the Yamazaki 18, I would strongly consider it if I was you. I was not very impressed with the Hibiki. Between the odd finishing and the overt sweetness of the blending whiskeys it was pretty overwhelming for me. Tremens isn't terrible, but Nocturnum and Noel are far superior.

13. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

Fuck it, half of the fun is trying new brews

True dat.

14. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

In my opinion, Weller is a better choice for that treatment than Eagle Rare. None the less, I am getting my stake and kindling ready for you. [​IMG]

Well, sure. Wellers just hits me in the mouth with a long hazelnut finish, so the orange/vanilla makes more sense. Also did the same with Bulleit, which I thoroughly detest. That's what I get taking Conne's word on a bottle of anything.

15. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

Finishing off the last little bit of an old Ardbeg 17 that I still had. A lovely "softer" Ardbeg. I will be opening one of my Rollercoasters to replace it in the cabinet.

Jealous. My one experience with Ardbeg 17 OB was at a bar in the Lower East Side. The bar tender poured the last remaining drops from the bottle (should have been warning enough). It was completely lifeless and undoubtedly sitting on the shelf for many months in that state.

If you haven't had the RC yet, don't go in with high expectations.