What are you drinking right now?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by VMan, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Cognacad

Cognacad Senior member

2. Tooch4321

Tooch4321 Senior member

[​IMG] I just unpacked this group of awesomeness from a trade with a friend out in NYC, it's gonna be a good weekend!

3. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

[​IMG] I just unpacked this group of awesomeness from a trade with a friend out in NYC, it's gonna be a good weekend!
    Do let me know about Mikkeller - I've seen it, but my fellow beer snobs tell me US beers are the same quality (if not better) and cheaper, due to the importing. So I'm torn. The two in the middle tho - I've seen them and was intrigued. Let me know how they are. The other day I went on a DogFish Head spree, and here are the results: Theobroma: meh. The cocoa is barely perceptible, as is the chile flavor. Wasn't anything special. Red & White: awesome, especially if you like lambics. Not as sweet or tart, but very delicious. Like a Belgian white (citrusy) with a round fruit pinot flavor in the background. Super drinkable. Sahtea: get this now. Like chai tea, but a beer. SRSLY. Cardamom, ginger, cloves...this stuff goes down wayyyy too easy. All 3 are 9% or higher, so watch that you don't start any fights with your drinking buddies [​IMG]

4. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Manhattans. Carpano Antica.

5. UrbanComposition

Manhattans. Carpano Antica.

Sweet jeebus, I love that vermouth. [​IMG]

6. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

A martini.

To begin, you will need Dry Vermouth and Gin.

[​IMG]

The exact type of alcohol will depend on your personal preference. I HIGHLY recommend Gordon's Gin. This is not the time where extraordinarily expensive gin is appropriate, as it is a mixed drink.

The vermouth is up to your choice as well, but avoid sweet vermouth. It is not good.

You will also need a martini glass and a vessel of some kind to combine the ingredients.

[​IMG]

DO NOT USE A PLASTIC GLASS. In an emergency a wine glass can be substituted for the traditional martini glass, but if at all possible follow tradition and use the cocktail/martini glass as it was meant to be used.

STEP 1 - Combine the gin and vermouth in a ratio of 4:1 in the vessel over ice.

Note that the vermouth and gin should be room temperature. This will meld better and also cause a slight melting of the ice which will slightly water down the drink. This is good.

The method of combination is up to you. Books have been written on the shaken vs. stirred method. I honestly don't care. If you can really tell the difference then your palate is far more refined than mine.

STEP 2 - Pour the combined liquid into the glass.

[​IMG]

STEP 3 - Garnish with your item of choice. Acceptable garnish includes an olive, a lemon peel, or a pickled onion (perhaps more correctly referred to as a Gibson).

[​IMG]

STEP 4 - Drink, while listening to appropriate music.

[​IMG]

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

7. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

^A martini is a simple enough preperation where a more pricey gin is quite certainly appropriate. It's not like you're burying it in a mound of fruits and syrups like some cocktails do.

Also, many people find Gordon's to be a little too watery for a good martini. Try beefeater instead.

Oh, and always dry vermouth. And vermouth should be refrigerated once opened, otherwise it goes bad within a week or two.

Hmm, I think I'll have one, come to think of it. I bought some cocktail onions the other day, so I'll go with the Gibson Martini.

8. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Hmm, I think I'll have one, come to think of it. I bought some cocktail onions the other day, so I'll go with the Gibson Martini.

Good on ya' cptjeff.

The martini is the perfect drink. I don't know what the Greek gods drank as "ambrosia" but the martini must come pretty close.

9. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

Black Grouse.

Going to pick up Bruichladdich tomorrow.

10. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

drank some Bowmore 18, Crag 12, and Mac 1987, intense sherry in that one. Smoked a RyJ. Taught clueless girl next to me about crystal and that she was drinking Johnny Blue that her equally clueless but apparently rich friend had bought her, from a Baccarat tumbler.

11. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I am gonna get my lady to bring me some Chartreuse green, luxardo, and some other bar goodies from Japan when she comes back. They don't have that stuff here, but I will be sipping on styleforum-approved Last Words until 2011.

12. youngScholar

youngScholar Senior member

Mate Veza Black Lager. Organic, and brewed with yerba mate. Very good. [​IMG]

13. ACDoyle

ACDoyle Senior member

G&T with Boodles and Fever Tree

14. UrbanComposition

drank some Bowmore 18, Crag 12, and Mac 1987, intense sherry in that one.

Those are some damn fine scotches. Partial to the Bowmore 18, but the Crag has lots of peat in it, too.

Taught clueless girl next to me about crystal and that she was drinking Johnny Blue that her equally clueless but apparently rich friend had bought her, from a Baccarat tumbler.

No snark intended, but - is that a good or bad thing? I mean, the Blue isn't my favorite, but if someone handed it to me, I'd drink it. Is drinking it in crystal a no-no?

Of course, I only ask because neither I nor my friends are baller enough to own crystal glassware.

15. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Post up some reviews once you drink em'.
    Red & White: awesome, especially if you like lambics. Not as sweet or tart, but very delicious. Like a Belgian white (citrusy) with a round fruit pinot flavor in the background. Super drinkable. Sahtea: get this now. Like chai tea, but a beer. SRSLY. Cardamom, ginger, cloves...this stuff goes down wayyyy too easy.
    MUST....OBTAIN......DELICIOUSNESS Harvey - get some better Gin