• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you drinking right now?

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tooch4321
IMG_0241.jpg
I just unpacked this group of awesomeness from a trade with a friend out in NYC, it's gonna be a good weekend!

Do let me know about Mikkeller - I've seen it, but my fellow beer snobs tell me US beers are the same quality (if not better) and cheaper, due to the importing. So I'm torn. The two in the middle tho - I've seen them and was intrigued. Let me know how they are. The other day I went on a DogFish Head spree, and here are the results: Theobroma: meh. The cocoa is barely perceptible, as is the chile flavor. Wasn't anything special. Red & White: awesome, especially if you like lambics. Not as sweet or tart, but very delicious. Like a Belgian white (citrusy) with a round fruit pinot flavor in the background. Super drinkable. Sahtea: get this now. Like chai tea, but a beer. SRSLY. Cardamom, ginger, cloves...this stuff goes down wayyyy too easy. All 3 are 9% or higher, so watch that you don't start any fights with your drinking buddies
boxing[1].gif

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Manhattans. Carpano Antica.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A martini.

To begin, you will need Dry Vermouth and Gin.

26a11df3.jpg

The exact type of alcohol will depend on your personal preference. I HIGHLY recommend Gordon's Gin. This is not the time where extraordinarily expensive gin is appropriate, as it is a mixed drink.

The vermouth is up to your choice as well, but avoid sweet vermouth. It is not good.

You will also need a martini glass and a vessel of some kind to combine the ingredients.

f6c3800b.jpg

DO NOT USE A PLASTIC GLASS. In an emergency a wine glass can be substituted for the traditional martini glass, but if at all possible follow tradition and use the cocktail/martini glass as it was meant to be used.

STEP 1 - Combine the gin and vermouth in a ratio of 4:1 in the vessel over ice.

Note that the vermouth and gin should be room temperature. This will meld better and also cause a slight melting of the ice which will slightly water down the drink. This is good.

The method of combination is up to you. Books have been written on the shaken vs. stirred method. I honestly don't care. If you can really tell the difference then your palate is far more refined than mine.

STEP 2 - Pour the combined liquid into the glass.

f348afd3.jpg

STEP 3 - Garnish with your item of choice. Acceptable garnish includes an olive, a lemon peel, or a pickled onion (perhaps more correctly referred to as a Gibson).

1d10ecb8.jpg

STEP 4 - Drink, while listening to appropriate music.

621f1686.jpg

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^A martini is a simple enough preperation where a more pricey gin is quite certainly appropriate. It's not like you're burying it in a mound of fruits and syrups like some cocktails do.

Also, many people find Gordon's to be a little too watery for a good martini. Try beefeater instead.

Oh, and always dry vermouth. And vermouth should be refrigerated once opened, otherwise it goes bad within a week or two.

Hmm, I think I'll have one, come to think of it. I bought some cocktail onions the other day, so I'll go with the Gibson Martini.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Hmm, I think I'll have one, come to think of it. I bought some cocktail onions the other day, so I'll go with the Gibson Martini.

Good on ya' cptjeff.

The martini is the perfect drink. I don't know what the Greek gods drank as "ambrosia" but the martini must come pretty close.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black Grouse.

Going to pick up Bruichladdich tomorrow.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
drank some Bowmore 18, Crag 12, and Mac 1987, intense sherry in that one. Smoked a RyJ. Taught clueless girl next to me about crystal and that she was drinking Johnny Blue that her equally clueless but apparently rich friend had bought her, from a Baccarat tumbler.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am gonna get my lady to bring me some Chartreuse green, luxardo, and some other bar goodies from Japan when she comes back. They don't have that stuff here, but I will be sipping on styleforum-approved Last Words until 2011.

youngScholar

Reaction score
Mate Veza Black Lager. Organic, and brewed with yerba mate. Very good.
cheers.gif

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
drank some Bowmore 18, Crag 12, and Mac 1987, intense sherry in that one.

Those are some damn fine scotches. Partial to the Bowmore 18, but the Crag has lots of peat in it, too.

Taught clueless girl next to me about crystal and that she was drinking Johnny Blue that her equally clueless but apparently rich friend had bought her, from a Baccarat tumbler.

No snark intended, but - is that a good or bad thing? I mean, the Blue isn't my favorite, but if someone handed it to me, I'd drink it. Is drinking it in crystal a no-no?

Of course, I only ask because neither I nor my friends are baller enough to own crystal glassware.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tooch4321
IMG_0241.jpg
I just unpacked this group of awesomeness from a trade with a friend out in NYC, it's gonna be a good weekend!

Post up some reviews once you drink em'.
Originally Posted by UrbanComposition
Red & White: awesome, especially if you like lambics. Not as sweet or tart, but very delicious. Like a Belgian white (citrusy) with a round fruit pinot flavor in the background. Super drinkable. Sahtea: get this now. Like chai tea, but a beer. SRSLY. Cardamom, ginger, cloves...this stuff goes down wayyyy too easy.
MUST....OBTAIN......DELICIOUSNESS Harvey - get some better Gin

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UrbanComposition
Those are some damn fine scotches. Partial to the Bowmore 18, but the Crag has lots of peat in it, too.

No snark intended, but - is that a good or bad thing? I mean, the Blue isn't my favorite, but if someone handed it to me, I'd drink it. Is drinking it in crystal a no-no?

Of course, I only ask because neither I nor my friends are baller enough to own crystal glassware.

Well, not so much that, they were just two young (18 or 19 by the looks of it) REALLY snooty looking girls out drinking on the one girl's dad's card - and this bar is this great Japanese cocktail bar that has 6 or 7 full pages of single malt on the menu, and they came in and got a whole bottle of Johnny Walker (which costs a G at a bar over here)...
ffffuuuu.gif
I mean, this is one of the only (if only) independent bar over here serving in Riedel digestifs and cocktail glasses, Baccarat tumblers, they do things very right. You get steaming hot hand towels every time you return from the bathroom immediately when you sit back down, they have another 10 pages of properly made cocktails in addition to the single malt selection, they have a page of cuban cigars. They don't even sell a lot of this good stuff in this country so the bartenders each take turns going back to Japan to pick up bottles and supplies - even the Noilly Prat is black market for them, they bring back fresh fruits and garnishes, it's a bar doing a labor of love. And those two girls.... and funnily enough we went to a club after, and not 10 minutes in, the same two girls walked in, and the girl I was talking to about glassware was ready to hang out and her snooty friend snatched her and walked away.
ffffuuuu.gif

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, not so much that, they were just two young (18 or 19 by the looks of it) REALLY snooty looking girls out drinking on the one girl's dad's card - and this bar is this great Japanese cocktail bar that has 6 or 7 full pages of single malt on the menu, and they came in and got a whole bottle of Johnny Walker (which costs a G at a bar over here)...
ffffuuuu.gif
I mean, this is one of the only (if only) independent bar over here serving in Riedel digestifs and cocktail glasses, Baccarat tumblers, they do things very right. You get steaming hot hand towels every time you return from the bathroom immediately when you sit back down, they have another 10 pages of properly made cocktails in addition to the single malt selection, they have a page of cuban cigars. They don't even sell a lot of this good stuff in this country so the bartenders each take turns going back to Japan to pick up bottles and supplies - even the Noilly Prat is black market for them, they bring back fresh fruits and garnishes, it's a bar doing a labor of love. And those two girls.... and funnily enough we went to a club after, and not 10 minutes in, the same two girls walked in, and the girl I was talking to about glassware was ready to hang out and her snooty friend snatched her and walked away.
ffffuuuu.gif

That does sound like a Japanese bar. Are most of the patrons Japanese or do they just like the style?
And...isn't it possible to get liquor shipped from Japan? If so, I know a great shop here in Osaka that does a huge business via the internet. I can pm the details.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads