What are you drinking right now?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by VMan, Oct 25, 2006.

1. highball

highball Senior member

Glenmorangie Astar - Very interesting, like dry white wine and lemon frosting

Have you drank any more of this? What's the verdict? I almost picked some up today, but i went with the Lasanta (Sherry cask) instead. Best scotch I've had yet, but I haven't been drinking scotch for very long.

Laphroiag 10 CS Batch 001 - a little less sweet than I remember the pre-batch ones being. Still medicinal and delicious though.

What's the significance of the Batch 001 designation? Have they changed the recipe?

2. ama

ama Senior member

Have you drank any more of this? What's the verdict? I almost picked some up today, but i went with the Lasanta (Sherry cask) instead. Best scotch I've had yet, but I haven't been drinking scotch for very long. What's the significance of the Batch 001 designation? Have they changed the recipe?
    Lasanta is pretty good, but they did one called Sonnalta PX which I think is better. Better sherry casks and more sherry flavor. The Astar is completely different. It is bottled at cask strength and aged in American Oak, not sherry. It is not nearly as sweet as Lasanta. Lasanta is more of a daily drinker, Astar is more mood dependent. I like Astar a great deal and will buy another bottle when I finish this one. I don't think they changed the recipe any for the Laphroaig, they just bottle it in the batches it was distilled in as opposed to vatting multiple batches. That means there will be more variation in the different iterations going forward depending on when it was distilled, the weather, the location the casks are stored, etc. Batch 001 seemed sweeter for whatever reason, batch 002 may not be as sweet...

3. highball

highball Senior member

Lasanta is pretty good, but they did one called Sonnalta PX which I think is better. Better sherry casks and more sherry flavor. The Astar is completely different. It is bottled at cask strength and aged in American Oak, not sherry. It is not nearly as sweet as Lasanta. Lasanta is more of a daily drinker, Astar is more mood dependent. I like Astar a great deal and will buy another bottle when I finish this one.

I did consider the Sonnalta as well, but figured I'd wait until I've gotten through the Lasanta and my palate is more developed to shell out the extra cash.

I don't think they changed the recipe any for the Laphroaig, they just bottle it in the batches it was distilled in as opposed to vatting multiple batches. That means there will be more variation in the different iterations going forward depending on when it was distilled, the weather, the location the casks are stored, etc. Batch 001 seemed sweeter for whatever reason, batch 002 may not be as sweet...

Cool thanks!

4. Cordwinder

Cordwinder Senior member

[​IMG] no alcohol, no calories beer. Tasted like watered down beer.

5. giselek

giselek New Member

At the moment I am drinking coffee and water but today in the evening I want to drink a good glass of white wine. Now I cannot drink alcohol because I still have to work but in the evening I will drink wine and maybe eat fish. I really love white wine and fish. Together this tastes really delicious.

6. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Homemade ginger ale (soda, really)... just bought one of those SodaStream machines tonight and I've drank like 2 liters of sparkling water in the past 2 hours. [​IMG]

7. Roikins

Roikins Senior member

Next time I get to a decent bar I'm going to try one of those.

Right now though, a Gall Bracer, longer then normal with seltzer. I'm working on a paper, see.

I would also suggest trying an Emerson if you're going to try the Aviation.

8. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

Just mixed up something that I made up: a Calvados Rob Roy

2 parts Domaine DuPont Calvados
    1 part Carpano Antica vermouth
    Lavender bitters

Stirred, served up, lemon twist

- B

9. stipes

stipes Member

Extra-dark roast coffee, from a french press. So smooth.

10. oDD_LotS

oDD_LotS Senior member

Dogfish Head Raison D'etre.

Had a long day at work/class and happened to have one more of these chilling in the fridge.

11. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

PBR!

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I feel like I've abandoned my people. I need to drink more spirits. When the season turns and it grows cooler.

13. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

I feel like I've abandoned my people. I need to drink more spirits. When the season turns and it grows cooler.

your people are now in the official wine thread, and youd be best not to forget that, buddy.

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

your people are now in the official wine thread, and youd be best not to forget that, buddy.

[​IMG]

I can still rock a manhattan or Aviation.

15. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Trying out a kingston. I think I'm in love.