What are you drinking right now?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by VMan, Oct 25, 2006.

1. ama

ama Senior member

2. IUtoSLU

IUtoSLU Senior member

Not everyone, myself included, agrees.

Even if whiskey/brandy does age in the bottle, we know it is not the same as wine either in speed or effect. It remains that we are unsure as to the overall effect of bottle-aged spirits. Even the article you linked to has conflicting point of view: some individuals believe that bottle-aging creates nuance and flavor, while others believe that the glass will eventually ruin the original flavor.

The only thing that is safe to say is: we don't know the full effect of bottle-aging on spirits, but we do know that it is not equivalent to wine. A 15 yr old (in-cask) malt bottled 15 years ago will probably not have much change or nuance over the same 15 yr old malt bottled today.

3. IUtoSLU

IUtoSLU Senior member

MOHITO

2oz rum (10 Cane)
    0.75oz lime juice (fresh squeezed)
    0.25oz simple syrup
    Spearmint leaves (from the garden) gently muddled

Pretty good, but not a drink that I would ooh and ahh over. I could see drinking this on the beach while relaxing, but drinking it in my air-conditioned apartment in the midwest is sort of killing it for me. Maybe I just need to move. [​IMG]

4. IUtoSLU

IUtoSLU Senior member

Sorry to make 3 posts in a row, but I just opened the Zaya and I wanted to review it.

It is definitely sweeter and more delicate than the Zacapa (my only reference point). Tons and tons of caramel and vanilla on the nose. Light and sweet at first, with molasses coming a little bit later here than in the Zacapa.

I'm no rum expert, but this is sweet and very good. I must say that I prefer Zacapa over Zaya. I think Zacapa is much drier and more complex, which is closer to what I desire, generally, in a spirit.

Edit: 2,000th post. Although unplanned, this was the perfect place for it.

5. IndianBoyz

IndianBoyz Senior member

6. IndianBoyz

IndianBoyz Senior member

I wants to try:

[​IMG]

This rare combination of Indian and Scottish elements means Fusion has a really excellent mouthfeel and palate, combining oak, a hint of vanilla, fruit and the sublime peat.
    “It is one of those which command a big mouthful, a chair with a headrest … and silence. You will chew for seemingly hours and never quite get to the bottom of its mystical complexity. It is massive whisky, but its genius is that you get the feeling that there is some almost invisible element keeping the malt together so the proportions are never less than perfect.” -- Tasting Notes from Jim Murray

The Whisky Bible 2010 by Jim Murray awards Amrut Fusion Single Malt Whisky the title of World’s Third Best Whisky.

Amrut Fusion gained 97 points in Murray’s most extensive collection of tasting notes ever published, with nearly 4,000 included this year.

Silver Medal 2010 San Francisco World Spirits Competition

The Independent Food & Drink - "India joins global roll-call of best distillers as Bangalore spirit wins third place"

Nose : Fresh oak,hint of vanilla,fruity and sublime peat.

Taste : Intially fruity and transcending to shear delicacy of fruity peaty notes.

Finish : Long and supremacy of peat-fruit combination balance out very well

7. Spinario

Spinario Member

You know it doesn't improve once it's bottled, right?

It's a tough question to answer. You'd need to find someone who drank it in 1938 and then again 25, 50 or 70 years later. I've had plenty of bottles that went bad from evaporation or became infused with bad tastes from years shoddy storage. My guess is that it was simply a better product and did not improve in the bottle.
    On a positive note I had a 1890 Spring Hill Whiskey that was so smooth that my Father who had never drank anything but wine was able to easily drink it neat. A 1910 Pernod was incredible! It had absolutely nothing in common with the modern version. In general I found the late 19th and 20 century liquors to have been better crafted from better ingredients than most of their modern counterparts. Happily the growing "craft movement" is making great strides in that direction.
    Attachment 49517
    [​IMG]

8. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Sorry to make 3 posts in a row, but I just opened the Zaya and I wanted to review it.

It is definitely sweeter and more delicate than the Zacapa (my only reference point). Tons and tons of caramel and vanilla on the nose. Light and sweet at first, with molasses coming a little bit later here than in the Zacapa.

I'm no rum expert, but this is sweet and very good. I must say that I prefer Zacapa over Zaya. I think Zacapa is much drier and more complex, which is closer to what I desire, generally, in a spirit.

Edit: 2,000th post. Although unplanned, this was the perfect place for it.

Zaya is my favorite rum by a mile.. Sea Wynde, a far second... Never tried Zacapa, will keep my eye open for it,

9. ama

ama Senior member

Zaya is my favorite rum by a mile.. Sea Wynde, a far second... Never tried Zacapa, will keep my eye open for it,

If those are your favorites you'll like Zacapa a lot. Its got a lot of the sweetness of Zaya tempered with some of the oakiness of Sea Wynde. Def. more similar to Zaya than Sea Wynde though.

10. ama

ama Senior member

McCarthy's Single Malt - very nice three year old Islay style single malt. Gentle sweet smoke, black tea and just a hint of salt characterize this whiskey. One of the best examples of American craft distilling in my opinion.

11. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Iced Jamacan Coffee. Amaretto instead of coffee liqueor, since I didn't have any of the latter. A much lighter tasting drink then I expected, but it's nice. The cream, rum, amaretto and coffee all come through, and the flavors all play nice. Not my favorite, but I'd make one again.

12. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

centenario reposado tequila

13. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

If those are your favorites you'll like Zacapa a lot. Its got a lot of the sweetness of Zaya tempered with some of the oakiness of Sea Wynde. Def. more similar to Zaya than Sea Wynde though.

Cool, I will see if I can find this when I get back to U.S.

McCarthy's Single Malt - very nice three year old Islay style single malt. Gentle sweet smoke, black tea and just a hint of salt characterize this whiskey. One of the best examples of American craft distilling in my opinion.

Tell me more about this one, post picture of bottle if you can. Sounds very interesting.

14. ama

ama Senior member

Tell me more about this one, post picture of bottle if you can. Sounds very interesting.

No problem! Here is a blurb about the whiskey from Clear Creek Distillery, makers of McCarthy's:

And here is a picture of the bottle:

[​IMG]

They were (and might still be, I don't know for sure) bottling it at both 42.5% and 40% ABV. If you can get the higher ABV version it is recommended.

15. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

I had a Macallan 15 yesterday...then a bunch of rye cocktails.

Today back to the pedestrian stuff...Jameson.