What are you drinking right now?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by VMan, Oct 25, 2006.

1. MiraReynaWhite

MiraReynaWhite Member

2. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Ahhh...to be a bigtimer...sigh. Thanks for the recipe, Hunts. It is basically the same as I have been using but with Plymouth Navy Strength and Hermes Creme de Violette. I think it may be the Violette that isn't working...will try to source another brand.
    Well, I'd like a bottle! This may interest you: http://spiritsandcocktails.wordpress...olette-heaven/ http://spiritsandcocktails.wordpress...ven-part-deux/ Separate links for each half of the article. IIRC, he likes the Hermes best (out of a tasting of 5 Violettes!!!!!), but notes that the Rothman and Winter makes a better Aviation. Whose Maraschino do you use? Have you considered that you may just not like the drink? ~ H

3. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Btw, the Aviation I make tastes exactly like the one I had at the VTR. I was so proud [​IMG] Will try manhattan with VTR bitters this week.
    Nice. Yeah, I use their bitters in everything. Even my Alexanders. Planning to hit CLE in June, I think. I need a fix. ~ H

4. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

Bought a bottle of Mccallan 12 last weekend (first time buying scotch for myself), and I'm enjoying a dram now.
    I'm not entirely sure how I should store it though. Temperature's been hovering around 30C/85F. Should I be keeping the bottle in the fridge?

5. ama

ama Senior member

Bought a bottle of Mccallan 12 last weekend (first time buying scotch for myself), and I'm enjoying a dram now.
    I'm not entirely sure how I should store it though. Temperature's been hovering around 30C/85F. Should I be keeping the bottle in the fridge?

Is your house that warm? A cool dark closet/cabinet/corner is better than the fridge.

6. Listi

Listi Senior member

I had a bottle of Weihenstephaner Dunkelweiss, and then switched it up for something a little more summery...

Had a caesar on my lawn w/roommate :p so refreshing.

3oz vodka (absolut)
    Ice
    1oz tabasco (I like it spicy)
    2 dashes worchestershire
    salt, pepper
    Fill glass with clamato
    Wedge of lemon
    Stick of celery

Feeling so relaxed after I just finished my last essay of the term.

7. IUtoSLU

IUtoSLU Senior member

Vieux Carre

Nice. What rye and brandy did you use, out of curiosity?

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Nice.

Yeah, I use their bitters in everything. Even my Alexanders.

Planning to hit CLE in June, I think. I need a fix.

~ H

If I ever do the Cleve again, I think I'll stay at the Ritz Carlton there in Tower City. Can walk to 4th from there.

Man, had braised pork bellies on my mind ever since Light Bistro. Will make some later this week. [​IMG]

Tonight, will be drinking a Burg to be named later, and I think I need to make a manhattan with VTR bitters.

9. Aaron01

Aaron01 Senior member

Nice. What rye and brandy did you use, out of curiosity?

It was basically an all cheapo Vieux Carre. I used some E&J and Michter's Rye in it as I didn't feel like using any of my nicer stuff, especially since it was my first attempt. I should have used more bitters, only used 1 dash each of angostura and peychaud. Although, I think a more flavorful brandy would have really helped the drink, there's always next time [​IMG]

Do you have any prefered brandys?

10. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

2002 Perrier-Jouet Fleur de Champagne Rose

Nice, special occasion?

Right now I'm drinking a glass of '04 Fire Block Old Vine Grenache. Out of the six bottles I purchased, this was the only one that wasnt cooked. [​IMG]

11. Piobaire

Nice, special occasion?

Right now I'm drinking a glass of '04 Fire Block Old Vine Grenache. Out of the six bottles I purchased, this was the only one that wasnt cooked. [​IMG]

Great news that at least this one is good!

12. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

Have you tried the '05 Pio? After following the wine thread it seems like you have actively steered of Australia for awhile.

13. Piobaire

Have you tried the '05 Pio? After following the wine thread it seems like you have actively steered of Australia for awhile.

I haven't tried the 05. I just checked my Cellar Tracker reports and it doesn't look like I've drank one nor do I have one in stock.

We had a Betts and Scholl just the other day. Not staying clear of Oz wines. Don't forget, last two weeks I've been traveling.

14. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

George T Stagg, first half ounce neat, last ounce and a half, with a splash of water. Still one of the best bourbons available IMO.

15. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

I hear ya. My local shop has pleny of 05s in stock so I think I'll pick one up for the weekend. Will report back.