What are you drinking right now?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by VMan, Oct 25, 2006.

1. IUtoSLU

IUtoSLU Senior member

Fox Shot:

1/2oz gin (Martin Miller)
    1/4oz brandy (Remy Martin 1738)
    1/4oz sweet vermouth (Vya)
    1/4 Angostura bitters

You read correctly. A whole lot of bitters. Let me remind you, this is a shot. Sip this thing if you enjoy strong flavors, because it may get brutal. This is a great drink for those who enjoy Campari. First note is sweet nutmeg. This is very quickly overtaken by strong clove, orange and allspice flavors. This fades away to a strong bitterness on the palate. I love it, but only in moderation.

2. ama

ama Senior member

Highland Park 18 - complex, smokey, slightly floral and sweet

3. ama

ama Senior member

A little Redbreast 12 for St. Paddys day

4. Cordwinder

Cordwinder Senior member

Fox Shot:

1/2oz gin (Martin Miller)
    1/4oz brandy (Remy Martin 1738)
    1/4oz sweet vermouth (Vya)
    1/4 Angostura bitters

You read correctly. A whole lot of bitters. Let me remind you, this is a shot. Sip this thing if you enjoy strong flavors, because it may get brutal. This is a great drink for those who enjoy Campari. First note is sweet nutmeg. This is very quickly overtaken by strong clove, orange and allspice flavors. This fades away to a strong bitterness on the palate. I love it, but only in moderation.

I've never had Martin Miller Gin before but from what I've read its a premium gin. With the heavy flavors, would a cheaper (for the lack of a better word) be suited for this cocktail (e.g. Seagram, Beefeater)?

5. samus

samus Senior member

A little Redbreast 12 for St. Paddys day

Love the Redbreast. I busted out the Green Spot, myself.

6. IUtoSLU

IUtoSLU Senior member

I've never had Martin Miller Gin before but from what I've read its a premium gin. With the heavy flavors, would a cheaper (for the lack of a better word) be suited for this cocktail (e.g. Seagram, Beefeater)?

A cheaper gin would be fine in this. Honestly, I wasn't really able to taste the gin at all and I don't think any other gin could make itself known through all the bitters.

7. tricota

tricota Senior member

After 5 days with not a drop of alcohol, I decided to cure the caughing andthe sore throath with some drinking tonight.

Am currently having a Hat Anker easter brew...I want to like it, but 2 thing are really standing out. 1 - The taste and smell of sweet honey...It is quite persistent. I cant imagen this doing very well with our traditional easter lunch. 2 - the amount of umf in it. I Barely removed the metal thingy (like on a champagne bottle) and it poped and nearly took my eye out. And it is the first beer I have ever had (and this is perhaps a testiment to how little I know of beer) who has not only retained the amount of foam in the glass throughout the time it takes you to consume it, but actually increases a bit....

But like with all good belgiums beers, it comes with so much alcohol and ""mass", that you pretty much forget your dinner...

8. mystillwater

mystillwater Senior member

last night it was an Irish Carbomb and a few Guinness...

today it'll be Russian Standard Vodka (export) with OJ. I've heard good things about this Vodka although i can't say as i'm very impressed. I spent about 20 minutes in the liquor store deciding between it and Titos... wish i would have gotten Titos. RS is a mixing vodka at best. the upside is it wasn't terribly expensive ($20 for 750ml).

EDIT: on second thought, after an afternoon of drinking Russian Standard Vodka in a concoction i created, i have come to the conclusion that while it's not great straight up, it's a fabulous mixing vodka.

9. Ilmari

Ilmari Member

Nikka Yoichi 10y. Highly recommend.

10. Mr. Walter Trent

Mr. Walter Trent Well-Known Member

Nikka Yoichi 10y. Highly recommend.

Well played!

You have good taste. Small batch Japanese whiskey is really in a league of its own these days.

11. Mr. Walter Trent

Mr. Walter Trent Well-Known Member

After 5 days with not a drop of alcohol...

Not sure I could physically handle that.

Tonight is a Silverado 2004 Cab.

12. thegifted1

thegifted1 Member

friday night....ketel one and maybe some ice.

13. mystillwater

mystillwater Senior member

making Madras (vodka, oj, cran) and some other concoction (vodka, oj, grenadine). using Russian Standard Vodka... not worth sipping but an excellent mixing spirit.

14. Ilmari

Ilmari Member

Well played!

You have good taste. Small batch Japanese whiskey is really in a league of its own these days.

Thanks! I am a huge fan of Japanese whiskeys. I have made one trip to Japan (Nagoya and Tokyo) in 2008 and tasted wide selection of different whiskeys from Suntory, Nikka and Hanyu Ichiro. I bought Suntory Hibiki 17y, Yamazaki 12y, Nikka 10y and 12y with me for a souvenirs.

And now gladly our alcohol distributor in Finland called Alko has started to sell Nikka All Malt and Yoichi 10y.

15. why

why Senior member

Sono inebriaco...tre bicchiere di grappa gratuito a cena. Ho bevuto anche un mezzo bottiglia di montepulciano. Ascoltero Il Trovatare (Di Quella Pira!) e crollero. Sebbe, primo faro cazzata a questo forum.