What are you drinking right now?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by VMan, Oct 25, 2006.

1. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Glenfiddich 18 year old. Very nice, fruity break from the Islay I usually tend towards in Scotch.

2. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Tried a manhattan. Don't know why, but just didn't taste right. Only drank 1/3 of it. Doing Lime Diet Coke and CC Sherry cask aged now.

Have you tried any of the uber-premium Crown Royal at all? Curious.

3. jeffersonmc

jeffersonmc Active Member

sipping the regular crown at the moment... Didn't know they had a premium bottle. BCLDB (government controlled liquor sales in the far left coast of canada) limits my palette, unfortunately. Or did you mean Crown Royal Special Reserve? Any product with the word "special" in it's name is almost always anything but! Not worth the extra $20, especially if you are mixing it with coca cola!

4. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

sipping the regular crown at the moment... Didn't know they had a premium bottle. BCLDB (government controlled liquor sales in the far left coast of canada) limits my palette, unfortunately. Or did you mean Crown Royal Special Reserve? Any product with the word "special" in it's name is almost always anything but! Not worth the extra $20, especially if you are mixing it with coca cola!

These ones:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

[​IMG]

6. jeffersonmc

Aha! Indeed I have seen this just beyond that exclusive glass cabinet in the liquor store. I am sure that placement means it is upwards of CDN$60 a bottle (750ml). So I wonder too, if it is worth it? I am not a connoisseur of blended whiskeys, and I wouldn't drink it straight. Pretty much just with coke and ice.

7. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

You would not mix that with coke. Not if you had a brain.

8. jeffersonmc

right. so what i said was i am not a connoisseur of whisky. So I WOULD drink it with coke. The taste is not for everyone, and I wonder if that makes it worth the extra mark up?

9. Piobaire

right. so what i said was i am not a connoisseur of whisky. So I WOULD drink it with coke. The taste is not for everyone, and I wonder if that makes it worth the extra mark up?

No, it's not worth it. I bought it simply because I light my cigars with c-notes.

10. jeffersonmc

you should switch from cigars to imported tobacco's and a bespoke whale ivory pipe. Liquor's purpose is to intoxicate, no matter how "exclusive" you want to make it. A difference in quality of taste is worth $40 MAXIMUM markup no matter if you are talking top shelf spirits or wine.

11. Piobaire

you should switch from cigars to imported tobacco's and a bespoke whale ivory pipe. Liquor's purpose is to intoxicate, no matter how "exclusive" you want to make it. A difference in quality of taste is worth $40 MAXIMUM markup no matter if you are talking top shelf spirits or wine.

Thank you for letting me know I no longer need talk to you.

12. jeffersonmc

...speechless. The key to my comment was the price range. And I would appreciate some supporting data on why deacoholozed spirits dont sell well. Unless you are 99% of their intended market?

13. Piobaire

...speechless. The key to my comment was the price range. And I would appreciate some supporting data on why deacoholozed spirits dont sell well. Unless you are 99% of their intended market?

Go away, troll.

P.S. Find your own fucking supporting data.

14. ama

ama Senior member

I'm just going to be blunt here: WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?? Are you try to propose contrary to almost every other product in the world liquor does not increase in quality as the MSRP increases?? What is this mythical "$40 MAXIMUM markup?" Is $40 a magic number and above that everything tastes the same?

p.s. Drinking Casa Noble Extra Anejo, one of the best tequila's I've ever had. Buy it if you can find it (its the one the royal navy ceramic bottle with the gold accents), CN doesn't make the extra anejo anymore [​IMG]

15. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Actually, the reason why alcohol-removed wines, etc., do not sell is because they taste like hollow copies of the original product. This might be surprising to lay people -- if only the alcohol is removed, and alcohol has very little actual flavor, then why the difference? A chemist would explain that huge numbers of the flavor compounds so prized in wine and spirits are alcohol-soluble, and without the alcohol as a carrier, those compounds will not be able to be detected (or at least in not nearly the same intensity) by the tongue. I strongly disagree that liquor's purpose is to intoxicate. My bar has over 175 spirits and liqueurs at present (as well as 196 bottles of wine, and half a dozen varieties of beer), and I don't get drunk -- even what people call 'buzzed' is a rather rare occurrence for me. I drink for the pleasure derived from the taste, and the ability to tailor that pleasure to my mood and my company. ~ Huntsman