What are you drinking right now?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by VMan, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

It's surprisingly decent for the price. Surprisingly. Pio should buy some and render Pinot judgment.

~ H

2. tricota

tricota Senior member

But it's her day!

Still...

3. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

It's surprisingly decent for the price. Surprisingly.

~ H

+1. Certainly high on my list of California values, added points for being a Pinot Noir.

4. Alter

Alter Senior member

Question for Huntsman or anyone who may know: I was at a rather cool bar in Osaka and the bartender used a bottled sugar syrup that was from somewhere in Eastern Europe, maybe Czech or Hungary or Poland to make a very good lime gimlet. I took a quick glance at the bottle but wasn't able to get a good look at it. Ring any bells?

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

It's surprisingly decent for the price. Surprisingly. Pio should buy some and render Pinot judgment.

~ H

I'll look for a bottle Saturday, as a local wine shop is having a 30% off sale. Thanks for the tip guys.

6. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I'll look for a bottle Saturday, as a local wine shop is having a 30% off sale. Thanks for the tip guys.

nice, that's a hefty discount for a wine store. On some bottles you'll likely pay less than what the actual store paid for it.

7. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Question for Huntsman or anyone who may know: I was at a rather cool bar in Osaka and the bartender used a bottled sugar syrup that was from somewhere in Eastern Europe, maybe Czech or Hungary or Poland to make a very good lime gimlet. I took a quick glance at the bottle but wasn't able to get a good look at it. Ring any bells?
    I thought a gimlet was 1/2 gin and 1/2 lime juice? I've never heard of a recipe with simple syrup in it before. Could it have been Rose's Lime Juice Cordial?

8. Alter

Alter Senior member

I thought a gimlet was 1/2 gin and 1/2 lime juice? I've never heard of a recipe with simple syrup in it before. Could it have been Rose's Lime Juice Cordial?

It was definitely simple syrup. Now that you mention it, it might have been used for a different cocktail we had that night.

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Mmm, nice night. Wife made some nice orange roughy, so paired that with 08 Merry Edwards SB. Those that have had her SB (Kyle) can vouch for what a nice pairing that is.

Since dinner, had a Rusty Nail with Cragganmore Distiller's and proper Peychaud's bitters.

Now I'm on to Vineyard's End signature margaritas.

10. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Hendrick's G+T. While watching Top Gear. Lazy Friday.

11. Aaron01

Aaron01 Senior member

Ardbeg Ten
    Clan Denny Vatted Islay Malt

Whilst smoking a Montecristo #2 watching the sunset

12. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

If it's sugar syrup I don't really expect its anything special. But sugar syrup was not always sugar syrup, it used to be made with gum arabic to inhibit crystalization, but gum gives it a very different texture that you may have enjoyed. That is called Gomme Syrup. Try searching with that -- you may not find your Eastern European variety, but I think Fee Bros makes some. (they're good people and I would trust their product).
    Pio, it's like $10, so don't hope for too much, here. But I would be interested in your opinion all the same. I don't drink enough Pinot, and in fact not a great deal of wine as I've been on this cocktail kick for some. I was asked, today, why that was. My reply: "A cocktail is a one night stand. A bottle of wine is a commitment." This was meant to devalue neither.
    Hendrick's G+T. While watching Top Gear. Lazy Friday.
    +1 and +1.

13. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

+1 and +1.
    to Top Gear or lazy Friday? It's raining like a mother out in NYC, and I'm not in a mood to entertain people. edit: I've moved on to a tumbler of ice and Luksosowa vodka.

14. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

to Top Gear or lazy Friday? It's raining like a mother out in NYC, and I'm not in a mood to entertain people. edit: I've moved on to a tumbler of ice and Luksosowa vodka.
    Well it was for TopGear, which is like the best show ever, but considering how much I'd enjoy a lazy Friday, we'll put it down to endorse that also!

15. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Well it was for TopGear, which is like the best show ever, but considering how much I'd enjoy a lazy Friday, we'll put it down to endorse that also!

cheers! I'm all over the top gear channel on youtube tonight, and now I really want a Carrera GT.