What are you drinking right now?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by VMan, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

[​IMG]
    Some Honest Tea (black lemon of course) in Greenacre Park on 51.

That crap has no business here!

Got in very late.

Glass of Riesling
    -------------
    Charcuterie: La Quericia Prosciutto, two salumi, three cheeses, roasted pepppers, yadda yadda yadda
    -------------
    Gnocchi with wild mushrooms and rabbit (just insane crazy off the wall I'm dying I'm being born good)
    -------------
    Stuffed, bacon wrapped dates
    ------------
    Citrus/thyme panna cotta with honey roasted fresh figs and port reduction -- the best dessert of my life.
    ----
    Intermezzo
    -----
    New Pal Cocktail
    Lady in Red Cocktail
    Lady in White Cocktail

Coffee

Oh yeah.

Excellent evening! Hope you were in good company. [​IMG]

Studying for my wine final with a nice 2007 Pascal Jolivet Sancerre.
    Really good stuff. Nice and crisp. Some floral notes, and a good amount of minerality. Worth the ~$25.

I've been on an SB jag too (as you know). Great warm weather wine, no?

haha. I grew up in South Australia, in a city called Adelaide that has absolutely nothing going for it other than a decent beach and surrounding wineries.

My degree was in Marketing, and they put all of us through Wine Marketing, since it is basically the only industry in the whole city that is always hiring. That class included a weekly two-hour wine appreciation session....which me and my mates cleverly signed up for at 4pm on a Friday afternoon.

Those were the days.

The wineries used to sponsor the class, so we had really good stuff, all free, and by the time we reached the pub at 6, we were pre-trashed. God I loved uni.

Noice! I had a South Oz wine last night, from Clare Valley. Fireblock, old vine, shiraz. Vines dating back to 1928. It's still hard to beat Aussie Shiraz for value.

[​IMG]

I didn't work a full day yesterday, and made a bad choice in the afternoon. I finished my errands, and came home to end up polishing off half a bottle of my current favorite tequila:

[​IMG]

I've killed a couple of bottles of that in recent weeks. Made my posting in the medical thread a little emphatic yesterday too. [​IMG]

2. DNW

DNW Senior member

I didn't work a full day yesterday, and made a bad choice in the afternoon. I finished my errands, and came home to end up polishing off half a bottle of my current favorite tequila:

[​IMG]

I've killed a couple of bottles of that in recent weeks. Made my posting in the medical thread a little emphatic yesterday too. [​IMG]

I really tried to like the mexican worm, but it's never worked with me. I can go all night on other stuff and feel fine, but once a shot of tequila makes it in, I will be sure to visit the porcelain god by the end of the night. [​IMG]

3. Piobaire

I really tried to like the mexican worm, but it's never worked with me. I can go all night on other stuff and feel fine, but once a shot of tequila makes it in, I will be sure to visit the porcelain god by the end of the night. [​IMG]

I had some horrific experiences as a youngster with tequila. It took years to realize it's just like whiksy. Good stuff and you're fine, rot gut and you'll rue the day you were born. The tequila that opened my eyes was El Jimador reposado. Pass on them now, due to trouble in their agave fields they are no longer 100% blue agave.

Re-introduce yourself with a nice bottle of :

[​IMG]

Just have a few sips, like you would a fine Scotch.

4. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Re-introduce yourself with a nice bottle of : [​IMG]
    One of my local wholesale clubs stocks this for about $50. I might have to stop by and pick up a bottle. How would you rate it amongst all the others you've tried Pio?

5. Piobaire

One of my local wholesale clubs stocks this for about $50. I might have to stop by and pick up a bottle. How would you rate it amongst all the others you've tried Pio?

Well worth $50. Very smooth, clean, light oak. It is distinctively tequila, but lacks that thing that makes you want to suck salt and lime. [​IMG]

6. DNW

DNW Senior member

I had some horrific experiences as a youngster with tequila. It took years to realize it's just like whiksy. Good stuff and you're fine, rot gut and you'll rue the day you were born. The tequila that opened my eyes was El Jimador reposado. Pass on them now, due to trouble in their agave fields they are no longer 100% blue agave. Re-introduce yourself with a nice bottle of : [​IMG] Just have a few sips, like you would a fine Scotch.
    Duly noted. Thanks, enabler. (BTW, what's the name of that brand? I can't make out from the pic.)

7. Piobaire

Duly noted. Thanks, enabler. (BTW, what's the name of that brand? I can't make out from the pic.)
    Milagro. I buy their normal "silver" for like $18 and it's a great tequila for mixing in margaritas. btw, that bottle is beautiful, and it comes in a nice, transparent plastic dome. Makes a great gift bottle.

8. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Well worth $50. Very smooth, clean, light oak. It is distinctively tequila, but lacks that thing that makes you want to suck salt and lime. [​IMG]
    Thanks for the review. I'll pick it up next time I'm there.

9. Piobaire

HUGE NEWS! I just got an email saying I'm off the wait list, and onto the pre-release mailing list for DuMol! IMO, possibly the best current Syrah coming out of Cali. There's only two other mailing lists I want on more, and that's Sea Smoke and Kosta Browne. And given the change in head winemaker at Sea Smoke, I might not be so excited about that anymore.

10. DNW

DNW Senior member

HUGE NEWS! I just got an email saying I'm off the wait list, and onto the pre-release mailing list for DuMol! IMO, possibly the best current Syrah coming out of Cali. There's only two other mailing lists I want on more, and that's Sea Smoke and Kosta Browne. And given the change in head winemaker at Sea Smoke, I might not be so excited about that anymore.

What a rough life you lead.

11. Piobaire

What a rough life you lead.

It has its moments.

3am emergency pages are not some of them.

12. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

I've been on an SB jag too (as you know). Great warm weather wine, no?

As have I. And definitely a great warm weather wine.
    Today, to congratulate myself on getting 98% in both my Wine & Beverage class and my Menu Planning class, I got some more wine. A really good Marlborough SB and an 05 Saint-Esprit Cotes-Du-Rhone.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Piobaire

Nice stuff K!

14. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Nice stuff K!

If you ever venture out of RRV, do you enjoy anything coming out of Marlborough?

I think they're so simple, but good. It's a really easy wine for someone like me, who has a lot less experience with subtle wines than guys like you, to enjoy.

15. Piobaire

If you ever venture out of RRV, do you enjoy anything coming out of Marlborough?

I think they're so simple, but good. It's a really easy wine for someone like me, who has a lot less experience with subtle wines than guys like you, to enjoy.

I am just not heavy into whites in general, so when I venture into whites, I tend to go for tried and true. Someone gave me a bottle of Manifesto (as a joke, given my political views) and that was meh.