• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you drinking right now?

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
corsendonk.jpg
Corsendonk Abbey Brown Ale. A very good abbey dubbel. Reminds me a bit of Trappistes Rochefort, but with a less complex taste. The perfect way to wind down after a long day.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
corsendonk.jpg
Corsendonk Abbey Brown Ale. A very good abbey dubbel. Reminds me a bit of Trappistes Rochefort, but with a less complex taste. The perfect way to wind down after a long day.

Never seen that one before. Looks nice.
thumbs-up.gif
on the goblet glass.

Crawford

Reaction score
Gin and Tonic

What sort of food pairs well with a G&T? I'm use to drinking them as a refreshment on a hot summer day - food is usually not on my mind then.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Never seen that one before. Looks nice.
thumbs-up.gif
on the goblet glass.

Yes, it is quite good! I could drink it regularly. The glass is a Chimay glass.
smile.gif

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
Yes, it is quite good! I could drink it regularly. The glass is a Chimay glass.
smile.gif

Then another +1 for getting the Chimay gift pack.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crawford
Gin and Tonic

What sort of food pairs well with a G&T? I'm use to drinking them as a refreshment on a hot summer day - food is usually not on my mind then.

I like this with anything sort of *****, the herbals and lemon/lime bitter tonic taste sort of cuts through it. Personally I think it's great with barbecued salmon and veggies out on the patio/deck.

tricota

Reaction score
Gin and Tonic

I normally only have snacks with my G&T, chips or salted nuts...So sulty works I guess.

Treen

Reaction score
Gin and Tonic

I usuallly eat olives or salty nuts.

Currently drinking - Chimay Red.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Had an '05 A.P. Vin, Gary's Vineyard PN. Gary (as in Pisoni) sources people some great grapes. Now I'm having the same drink as last weekend, my blood orange tequila martini.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
We got into Old World wines today in my wine tasting class. My first time tasting Bourdeaux wines or Sancerre. We had two Alsatian wines--- a Riesling and a Gewurtztraminer, both the 05 vintage from Hugel et Fils. Then we moved on to the Loire with a 2007 Pascal Jolivet Sancerre and a 2006 Remy Pannier Vouvray. We moved to Bourdeaux and had an 06 Entre-Deux-Mers Chateau Bonnet. This wasn't really that good. But we moved on to the Bourdeax reds and had a 2004 St. Emilion Chateau des Laurets which was really good, and a 2003 Haut Medoc Chateau Coufran, which was one of my favorites we've tried in the class so far.
It is kind of crazy to notice the difference between the fruit forwardness of the New World wines and the more soil-ey, earthy taste (terroir, I guess) of the Bordeaux reds. Exciting stuff.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
We got into Old World wines today in my wine tasting class. My first time tasting Bourdeaux wines or Sancerre. We had two Alsatian wines--- a Riesling and a Gewurtztraminer, both the 05 vintage from Hugel et Fils. Then we moved on to the Loire with a 2007 Pascal Jolivet Sancerre and a 2006 Remy Pannier Vouvray. We moved to Bourdeaux and had an 06 Entre-Deux-Mers Chateau Bonnet. This wasn't really that good. But we moved on to the Bourdeax reds and had a 2004 St. Emilion Chateau des Laurets which was really good, and a 2003 Haut Medoc Chateau Coufran, which was one of my favorites we've tried in the class so far.
It is kind of crazy to notice the difference between the fruit forwardness of the New World wines and the more soil-ey, earthy taste (terroir, I guess) of the Bordeaux reds. Exciting stuff.

Yeah, that's basically the deal, in a very broad generalized sense, between New and Old worlds. If you liked the French stuff, try Peay for PN and Syrah. The PN is exceedingly Burgundian. I am assembling a vertical of their Scallop Shelf PN, have at least one bottle from 04 on. Most CA PNs you can drink three years out. I'm still holding Peay's 04 another few years.

Remember, Sancerre = Sauvignon Blanc. CA and Oz make some incredible SBs.

Still, I'm jealous, as I have no local place that offers a real, structured, tasting course. I'd like to get some certification at some point.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Started with a glass of this:

zs7.jpg

Moved to the one on the left:

p1030166m.jpg

Bad fucken (sic) day today, long story..
plain.gif

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Yeah, that's basically the deal, in a very broad generalized sense, between New and Old worlds. If you liked the French stuff, try Peay for PN and Syrah. The PN is exceedingly Burgundian. I am assembling a vertical of their Scallop Shelf PN, have at least one bottle from 04 on. Most CA PNs you can drink three years out. I'm still holding Peay's 04 another few years.

Remember, Sancerre = Sauvignon Blanc. CA and Oz make some incredible SBs.

Still, I'm jealous, as I have no local place that offers a real, structured, tasting course. I'd like to get some certification at some point.

Are any of the CA or Marlborough SBs 100% SB? I thought that was Sancerre's claim to fame, and why they were thought of as the best SBs in the world. I know here, to be labelled by grape varietal, only 75% of the wine must be from that grape. I assume it's the same or at least similar in Oz.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Are any of the CA or Marlborough SBs 100% SB? I thought that was Sancerre's claim to fame, and why they were thought of as the best SBs in the world. I know here, to be labelled by grape varietal, only 75% of the wine must be from that grape. I assume it's the same or at least similar in Oz.

DSC01052.jpg

The best SB WS ever tasted. 100% SB.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Hmmm... I looked at 3 Chicago dealers real quick and didn't see any of that. Is it a mailing list only?
If so, you are an evil, evil man for dangling one of my favorite varietals like that.

Just to rub it in, I'm going to tour their vineyard when I'm in Sonoma.

Edit: Nvmind, you can order it direct from them for $30. I'm still going to tour their vineyard though. Only ten mins from where I'll probably live.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads