• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you drinking right now?

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finishing up the last of a bottle of '98 Ch. Haut-Guiraud from dinner. Probably moving on to Calvados, but if I get ambitious I might mix up a batch of Sidecars.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hunts, Pio, etc, I wished we all lived in the same city. Would make for some fantastic wine events. Martinis, whisky, etc.

frown.gif

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A bottle of Lambrusco. It is a sparkling, inexpensive Italian wine with low alcohol and a slightly sweet aftertaste. It is like adult soda pop. Perfect for a warm afternoon around a pool or brunch. But we had it tonight before dinner.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need to do more bar research in my town (tough assignment, I know). I have never found a bar that can make good cocktails consistently with fresh ingredients. I have a couple favorite scotch spots, but cocktails are, obviously, a different ballgame. This is why I have come to appreciate cocktails at home in the company of good friends.

Pio and Hunts, maybe one day we can share a drink. Isn't the internet a funny place?

Hunts, I may attempt a "Lady in Red" very soon. But for now, a vieux carre will do.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
Hunts, Pio, etc, I wished we all lived in the same city. Would make for some fantastic wine events. Martinis, whisky, etc.
frown.gif

I'd settle for close, even.
Originally Posted by IUtoSLU
I need to do more bar research in my town (tough assignment, I know). I have never found a bar that can make good cocktails consistently with fresh ingredients. I have a couple favorite scotch spots, but cocktails are, obviously, a different ballgame. This is why I have come to appreciate cocktails at home in the company of good friends. Pio and Hunts, maybe one day we can share a drink. Isn't the internet a funny place? Hunts, I may attempt a "Lady in Red" very soon. But for now, a vieux carre will do.
Some day we should. I very nearly had a Vieux Carre, tonight, but I decided to stay with the Ladies (never a bad idea) and switched to the Lady in White.
dsc1646.jpg
Both drinks are served by some friends of mine, and these creations are my humble homage.
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Rewinding from service tonight with a nice Delirium Tremens.
You know, I'm not a beer guy, but Delirium Tremens is some pretty neat stuff. Crazy but good. ~ H

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
You know, I'm not a beer guy, but Delirium Tremens is some pretty neat stuff. Crazy but good.

~ H

Definitely! SF user Brad bought me a Delirium Nocturnum a month or so back, and since then I've been hooked on both DN and DT. I'd always wanted to try DT because I knew Thomas was a fran. I'm generally more spirit and wine based, but these are great beers, IMO. Thx again Brad.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Definitely! SF user Brad bought me a Delirium Nocturnum a month or so back, and since then I've been hooked on both DN and DT. I'd always wanted to try DT because I knew Thomas was a fran. I'm generally more spirit and wine based, but these are great beers, IMO. Thx again Brad.
Brad's a good guy. Am not nuts about DN, but I like Tremens. BTW, "Thomas was a fran?" Miss him or something? ~ H

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tonight a friend picked up a bottle of Glenmorangie Nectar d'Or (as well as another Zaya of the Trinidad variety, having run through his previous bottle) and brought it over. Very enjoyable drink.

He voiced appreciation for the color of the spirit, which I dubbed "golden delicious." So we drank that both straight and with water and our respective Zayas (mine the old superb recipe from Guatemala). I've gotten him hooked on aged rums.

Then we went out for greasy pizza, because it was one of those nights which calls for pizza. Now I need protein, so it's time for a shake.

Soon it will be mojito season. Any day now.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I've eschewed doing much in the way of tasting notes and numerical ratings for some time now here. The reasons are varied, but I just don't do it here much. However, as I bag on Ontario reds so much (and rightly so!), I felt I needed to write up a note on a world class wine I had yesterday. This wine is not even from what is considered the big wine region in Ontario (the Niagara Region). It is from a small wine producing area in the southern most part of Canada, Essex County. I think the VQA has designated it the Erie Shores appellation. Colio makes gallons and gallons of plonk, and has for about three decades now. That's fine, plonk has its place. And it allows them to make the wine I had last night.

2002, Colio Estate Vineyards Vidal Icewine.

The bottle was a bit of a pain to open. There's a disc of plasticy wax over the cork. I cleared that out and pulled the cork. I immediately noticed sparkling crystals growing on the bottom of the cork. They looked and tasted like sugar crystals, a blanket of midnight snow sparkling in the full moon. Just like the night these grapes were picked.

I poured. The colour. Wow. Deep, amber yellow. Golden, dark, and thick. Incredible. I immediately was reminded of a fully mature, classic Sauternes. The aroma was intense. Honey and floral notes dominated. I can't quite place the flower...orange blossoms is as close as I can come. Very, very nice.

The first sip. Did I say the aroma was intense? I should have saved that word for the flavour. Rich, deep honey flavour, with a side note of strong citrus and lychee fruit. A load of acid to balance out the sweetness, the type you get from tart apples. For all the intense sweetness, the acid keeps the mouth feel from being cloying in the least. Just a subtle infusion of brown sugar and cinnamon on the finish, which was incredibly long and pleasureable.

50+5+13+18+9= 95

I would say, drink now through 2011, based on colour and the current level of integration.

Sorry for being so wordy, but I don't do this often, and felt I owed it to Ontario wine
wink.gif

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So yeah, I am drinking one of my favorite whiskies, while contemplating a variety of things. First, the whisky: This is the Old Malt Cask bottling of Royal Lochnagar. Mine is a 15yo, 1990 distillery date. I don't have the necessary eloquence tonight to give a tasting note, but I will say this. If you like your whiskies bold but not necessarily only on account of peat, buy Royal Lochnagar. It never disappoints except in how hard it is to find. The malt is at the heart of JW's best blends, notably Gold and Blue.
rrzlr.jpg
This is the reason I am drinking scotch http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...postcount=5207

Crawford

Reaction score
Last night was Easter dinner at my parent's house and my Dad served a bunch of good red wines...

2004 Petales d'Osoyoos
2005 Jackson Triggs Cabernet Sauvignon Grand Reserve
2005 Penfolds Bin 389 (Cab-Sauv Shiraz) --- young?
2007 Cuma Organic Malbec

And a few others that I didn't try. The first two were my favorite.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had a hankering for a hard drink after taking an evening cruise in the Miata down the coast. But I had nothing at home; drove by two liquor stores and realized that they were closed on Easter Monday
cry.gif
Will have to live with with club soda on ice. Don't even have a goddamn lime to garnish.
musicboohoo[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads