What are you drinking right now?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by VMan, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Alter

Alter Senior member

2. eg1

eg1 Senior member

Actually, I have a bottle in my cellar. It's pretty cheap stuff, but keep one around as a novelty.

Brand? (the mead, that is)

Today/tonight was a mix. Did some tail gating at the University. First stop, wife's company tent. A couple of Coronas. Next stop, tent of a good friend. Some of the best fajitas I've had in a long time, including queso fresco that was in Mexico last night [​IMG] He had a bottle of Glenmorangie Nectar D'or I had given him for his 40th early in the year. It was a huge hit (thanks Hunts) with everyone and I got the credit. A few Becks. Back over to the wife's company tent on the way out, a couple more Coronas.

Home, and diet lime coke with Wisers.

Ah, you are a member of The Wiserhood, then, eh? (slow clap ensues ...) [​IMG]

http://www.thewiserhood.com/

As for me right now, 2006 Angel's Gate chardonnay -- unoaked, so a little "grassier" than my usual

http://www.angelsgatewinery.com/tast...06%20Chard.pdf

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Ah, you are a member of The Wiserhood, then, eh? (slow clap ensues ...) [​IMG] http://www.thewiserhood.com/
    Been drinking Wisers for about 20 years. I have tried for years to get it in the state where I live, but no one would ship it in. I used to get care packages from home [​IMG] But a few weeks ago, a new place in town had some...and this was the result: [​IMG] And thanks for that new website! [​IMG] Just got a Wiser background [​IMG]

4. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

Tell us what you thought of it. I have this laid down by them:

[​IMG]

I'm a novice, but it was a lovely wine. Lots of forward fruits and oak, but with great character and a long finish. I'd rate it a 90.

5. eg1

eg1 Senior member

Been drinking Wisers for about 20 years. I have tried for years to get it in the state where I live, but no one would ship it in. I used to get care packages from home [​IMG] But a few weeks ago, a new place in town had some...and this was the result:

[​IMG]

And thanks for that new website! [​IMG] Just got a Wiser background [​IMG]

You don't mess around! That's enough rye to start a lot of fights ... [​IMG]

6. lermontov

lermontov Senior member

7. eg1

eg1 Senior member

2004 Ruffino Riserva Ducale Oro Chianti Classico -- a little light for the monster New York striploins I grilled, but I like it anyway. [​IMG]

8. Piobaire

You don't mess around! That's enough rye to start a lot of fights ... [​IMG]

I never do things in half measures [​IMG] My only bitch is they're glass bottles. I'd prefer plastic. And one is empty now [​IMG]

9. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Drank some spiced cider earlier, chai tea now. Have the most delicious gallon of fresh-pressed cider, from a blend of apples, sitting in the fridge.

10. saint

saint Senior member

I've been up to the Evanston market a couple times at Globe's suggestion. I saw the cheese stand, is it pretty good stuff? I wanted to try some, but didn't know if it'd be worth the somewhat steep price.
    The cheese stands are overpriced, if you are in Evanston and want cheese, go to the Binnys in Skokie (its only a couple of miles away), great cheese department, good prices and they are happy to let you sample anything. The pippins are apples that are great for dessert, but are virtually impossible to find in the US, if you get up there again before they shut down for the year, you should buy a few of them and try them with some Port and Stilton. BTW, drinking a snifter of Groult 8 yr old Calvados.

11. The Wayfarer

The Wayfarer Senior member

Classic Gin Martini with Vya Vermouth.

Color me a convert, but I am never returning to any other Vermouth. This is simply beautiful.

12. Piobaire

2004 Fire Block Grenache. I'm developing quite the thing for Rhone style / grenache blends.

13. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Gin and tonic made with shitty Seagram's. This stuff delivers painful hangovers. [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

This is the largest G&T I have ever made. Like 1/5 of a fifth of gin went into this thing. Drunkland, here I come! [​IMG]

15. goodlife

goodlife Senior member

Classic Gin Martini with Vya Vermouth.

Color me a convert, but I am never returning to any other Vermouth. This is simply beautiful.

I just had a similar experience with Carpano Antica sweet vermouth. FANTASTIC! So far I have had it straight both as a apertiff and a digestivo, as well as in a transcendent manhattan. Next up is the negroni.

I've also been thinking about a upgrade in the dry vermouth category. I will give it a try.