• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you drinking right now?

The Wayfarer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Manhattan: Three dashes Angostura bitters Splash of kirsch Three oz CC 12 year old classic 1.5 oz Stock sweet vermouth Shake and pour. Enjoy
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Like Piobaire, Manhattans last night: 2 oz Woodford 0.75 oz Lillet Rouge 0.25 oz Vya Red 6 drops proprietary bitters Stir over ice for thirty seconds. Serve with two Fabbri cherries and an orange twist ~H
Color me envious. I really cannot wait until I blow my next paycheck on restocking my bar. My grocery list includes Booker's, Basil Hayden's, Woodford, and Lillet Rouge. A decidedly Bourbon themed splurge.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
White Manhattan tonight -- 2 oz Martin Miller gin, 1 oz Lillet Blanc, dash Maraschino, generous twist of lemon. Stunning, stunning, stunning. I need someone to make this and tell me if I'm nuts or if it really is this good.
cheers.gif

Amen, brother.
Originally Posted by The Wayfarer
Color me envious. I really cannot wait until I blow my next paycheck on restocking my bar. My grocery list includes Booker's, Basil Hayden's, Woodford, and Lillet Rouge. A decidedly Bourbon themed splurge.
This sounds very good to me. Come to think of it, I blow many paychecks on the bar. This is a cruel-to-the-wallet habit. ~H

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hunts, I'm going to buy some lillet blanc and maraschino on monday or tuesday and I will make the white manhattan (with Junipero) and you how it goes.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent, thanks! Junipero is the first, and perhaps best of the variants I've tried. Cut a fat strip of lemon off and give it a good squeeze over the cocktail....

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
S.Pellegrino & Langhe rosso from G.D.Varia.

Think there might be some 40yo port worth trying in the kitchen,, who knows i might reconsider for some Springbank

The Wayfarer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
This sounds very good to me.

Come to think of it, I blow many paychecks on the bar. This is a cruel-to-the-wallet habit.

~H

I prefer to think of it as more of a hobby.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You, sir, are quite correct.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
2004, Siduri, Psioni Vineyars Pinot Noir

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blue Mountain Brut, to go with some fennel and toscano salami from Moccia as thanksgiving first course (yes, that would be Canadian thanksgiving)

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2004, Siduri, Psioni Vineyars Pinot Noir
I was looking it up and I think it's spelled "Pisoni". On the subject of Pinot Noir, I think I had my first American Pinot yesterday, an inexpensive Irony Monterey County, it wasn't very complex but it was very drinkable for the price.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
I was looking it up and I think it's spelled "Pisoni". On the subject of Pinot Noir, I think I had my first American Pinot yesterday, an inexpensive Irony Monterey County, it wasn't very complex but it was very drinkable for the price.

You have the right spelling. I have heard the vineyard owner himself, Gary Pisoni, pronounce it. It is "piss-own-e". I just was not typing as well as I usually do. I didn't stop at that bottle I listed
wink.gif
He grows some pretty good grapes, and the wines tend to conform more towards a Burgundian style, than Cali style.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You may have posted on this topic already, but could you recommend some decent entry level Pinot Noirs?

Yesterday, I opened an inexpensive bottle of Oddera Barbera D'Alba '05 (Piedmont, Italy). It was pretty pleasant and not at all rough like some other inexpensive Barberas I had.

On Saturday, I opened another inexpensive bottle, Abadia Retuerta Rivola '04 from Sardon de Duero in Spain. Very nice wine for the money, nice spicy fruit and some soft tannins for structure, good showing of the regional character.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Dmax, if you are looking for Burgundy, I can tell you Concordia and Manton are probably the two to ask for that. If it is Cali, give me a price point and I will dig up some recommendations.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dmax, if you are looking for Burgundy, I can tell you Concordia and Manton are probably the two to ask for that. If it is Cali, give me a price point and I will dig up some recommendations.
Is there anything under $20 you would recommend in California or Oregon or elsewhere in US? I know I am not going to get much in Burgundy at this price point.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
Is there anything under $20 you would recommend in California or Oregon or elsewhere in US? I know I am not going to get much in Burgundy at this price point.

Tough price point right now. Siduri has a Sonoma Coast blend, not bad. Drylands Creek (I think) I had a bottle or two recently. No complexity, but easy to drink. Kim Crawford, nice wine for the price. Ironhorse was drinkable around that price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads