• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What are you drinking right now?

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, wine.com usually has a ‘spend $300 get $100 off’.
Next time I’m doing this. Unfortunately, I’d just made a rather large purchase from Bottles and Bitters, not too long before my wine.com order. Was a bit concerned my wife would raise an eyebrow, so kept it to four bottles. Of course, I got in the doghouse for a coupla’ days anyway after my buddy and I smashed a bottle of Wray&Nephew in one sitting. That rarely happens, so she couldn’t get too uptight about it... Just made sure to bang out a bit of the Honey-Do list and all was well.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this the Speakeasy you were talking about?
Yep. Sorry for disappearing.

My last name lends itself naturally to tikidom but in the last like two three years or so. Just get latitude 29 or small hands (on Amazon) for orgeat. There's a few recipes floating around and for me latitude 29 get exactly what I want so im ok getting a bottle every few months
Ok. Just ordered the Latitude. I bought it once before and handed it off before using it for much. I've had the Small Hands and was, like, meh. Have the Giffard and Marie Brizzard and they taste like zinc like Fees. I am such a PITA about orgeat.

I can’t afford to get into rum.
Can you afford not to, is the real question. Rum is the least expensive of the dark spirits in terms of QPR. For $50 of rum, you get a really really good drinking experience. Zacapa or Plantation 20th anniversary are ridiculous drinking rums under $50.

Before dinner I had a Paper Plane, one of the best variations of the Last Word. To my knowledge, there is no variation made with blended scotch (I don't consider the Penicillin to be a true variation because it doesn't contain four ingredients in equal parts), so I'm going to try to invent one. Lemon juice is the obvious second ingredient, so I'm going to play around with the other two ingredients. The first try turned out to be a bit too tart.
Try and amaro with some smoke notes, sfumato rubarbo. I wouldn’t use that ingredient in equal parts as everything else.
if you’ll allow that in your limited bottle selection. 😉
You know, I always want to love the Paper Plane, but I never quite do. While it is indeed a Quad, as Bhowie would say, I've struggled with considering it a LW variant even though that is how it is billed, because using an amaro as one of the four is to me very different than two liqueurs. The best LW variations that I've ever had are Bobby Heugel's Eulogy (Strega, Falernum, Arrack, Lime), Damon Dyer's Monte Cassino (Yellow Chartreuse, Benedictine, Rye, Lemon), and Franck Andoux's The Yellow (Yellow Chartreuse, Suze, Gin, Lemon) -- though that last may fail my taxonomic test as well. Sfumato and Benedictine might be good, as the honey in Benedictine plays well with Scotch. Felsinas, like Ramazotti, might also work well -- the Ramazotti-based Scottish Cyclops marries whisky well with that amaro.

Lately, I've been enamored with the idea of the 'Amaro Daquiri' from Billy Sunday -- 2 oz amaro, 3/4 each simple and juice. Their recipe is equal parts Sfumato and Braulio, but I am not as fond of mixing the amaros. Each of them are heavy hitters and can get muddy. I've enjoyed the cocktails more sticking with one amaro -- Montenegro/Lemon, Etna/Lime and Nardini/Lemon have been really, really good. I like the lower proof, too. I'd highly encourage trying this with any amaro you have kicking around. It's so easy.

Now that I am thinking about it, Montenegro/Benedictine/Scotch/Lemon might be amazing. OK, I am clearly trying that tonight.

~ H

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Amaro is probably my next frontier... but for the last several years, and at least the foreseeable future, I’m absolutely obsessed with rum. Will always have a soft spot for bourbon and rye, but rum seems to know no bounds. Pairs seamlessly with my cigars as well...

Last edited:

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol, after previous post I’m having a Bombay, Fever Tree Mediterranean Tonic, lime and Regan’s Orange Bitters G&T.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Friday night had two schooners of a quality milk stout with Mrs GF she was drinking Capital Ale Summer Breeze and a pizza at Grease Monkey bar then turfed out after an hour....an hour WTF? Couldn’t find another bar that wasn’t fully booked, so quality bottle shop visit for a few tinnies of this and home.
689C38DB-B2DA-4114-8739-F79EA82BC1EC.jpeg

At least there is a choice of rugby or league on the box. Damn you Covid 19.:cloud::censored:

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Odd name for a beer.

edit: mobile strikes again. I read that as “Does anyone remember daughter”.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was going to makena wray n ting but it turns out i bought Mexican Squirt. Its the same basically.

Anyway even though Wray & Nephew is firewater obviously, it's still a very good rum. Somehow the ting/squirt hides the fire and you get a really good rum flavor. So good.

Alocin

Reaction score
Odd name for a beer.

edit: mobile strikes again. I read that as “Does anyone remember daughter”.
I would never have thought it said anything other than daughter had you not made that edit lol

sam67

Reaction score
Friday night had two schooners of a quality milk stout with Mrs GF she was drinking Capital Ale Summer Breeze and a pizza at Grease Monkey bar then turfed out after an hour....an hour WTF? Couldn’t find another bar that wasn’t fully booked, so quality bottle shop visit for a few tinnies of this and home.
View attachment 1440782
At least there is a choice of rugby or league on the box. Damn you Covid 19.:cloud::censored:
Thumbs up to rugby (former outside center)

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm having a "leftover cocktail." That's my name for any drink made up of the last bit of bottles that don't have enough liquid remaining for a real drink. Mine is made up of 1 oz. bourbon and 0.5 oz. cognac. I threw in some Aperol, simple syrup, and Clear Creek pear brandy. Much better than I thought it would be.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mezcal tasting-
Vago arroqueno
Vago barril

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How did Covid-19 impact your personal style?

• My style hasn't changed at all.

• My wardrobe hasn't changed but I am wearing casual clothes more often.

• I invested in new good quality leisure and casual clothes.

• I invested in new sartorial clothes taking advantage of the sales.

• I purged my closet during quarantine and I have nothing left to wear.

Results are only viewable after voting.