• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you drinking right now?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I can’t afford to get into rum.

For my money, the 8 year old is the best liquor purchase you can make for $25

BDF5BFA1-CD8C-4388-9F73-982CECEAFCBE.jpeg

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Gibonius Yea, I’d imagine that’d be the case. It's pretty pungent and boozy. I really enjoy Plantation 3star for daquiris, but trying to get away from rums with added sugar... That being said, when dealing with most rum cocktails, it seems that many of the other ingredients have plenty of sugar anyway so... I'd like to try the Myer's Silver in a daquiri and see how that fairs. Other suggestions for no/low sugar added silver rums to try for daquiris?

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do like the Barbancourt 8yo. Usually see it for $30 out here in SoCal. At that price, I generally decide to spend another little bit and bump up to Appleton 12yo... but, obviously completely different animals and I should have both on hand. Lastly, one of my absolute favorite rums is the Mount Gay XO. Can't believe how much its shot up in price over the last several years. Used to regularly find for $30... even at the dreaded BevMo. Now they want around $60 for it most everywhere. I just replenished at $55 via Wine.com. Personally, I think it's worth it, and perhaps it was under priced before. Still annoying.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My default is Flor de Cana Extra Seco 4 year. Very nice taste profile for citrus drinks, and supposedly no added sugar.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Before dinner I had a Paper Plane, one of the best variations of the Last Word. To my knowledge, there is no variation made with blended scotch (I don't consider the Penicillin to be a true variation because it doesn't contain four ingredients in equal parts), so I'm going to try to invent one. Lemon juice is the obvious second ingredient, so I'm going to play around with the other two ingredients. The first try turned out to be a bit too tart.

Try and amaro with some smoke notes, sfumato rubarbo. I wouldn’t use that ingredient in equal parts as everything else.

if you’ll allow that in your limited bottle selection. ?

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I got a bottle of Hamilton 151, but figured I didn’t need two overproof rums, but they’re a cheap spirit to get into. Wray and Nephew worth an addition into my tiki bar?
Yes. Hamilton is better but whatever

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@Gibonius Yea, I’d imagine that’d be the case. It's pretty pungent and boozy. I really enjoy Plantation 3star for daquiris, but trying to get away from rums with added sugar... That being said, when dealing with most rum cocktails, it seems that many of the other ingredients have plenty of sugar anyway so... I'd like to try the Myer's Silver in a daquiri and see how that fairs. Other suggestions for no/low sugar added silver rums to try for daquiris?
There's nothing wrong with adding sugar. If that's what you're looking for kop Don Q.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I do like the Barbancourt 8yo. Usually see it for $30 out here in SoCal. At that price, I generally decide to spend another little bit and bump up to Appleton 12yo... but, obviously completely different animals and I should have both on hand. Lastly, one of my absolute favorite rums is the Mount Gay XO. Can't believe how much its shot up in price over the last several years. Used to regularly find for $30... even at the dreaded BevMo. Now they want around $60 for it most everywhere. I just replenished at $55 via Wine.com. Personally, I think it's worth it, and perhaps it was under priced before. Still annoying.
I wish there was a way to know we're in the good ole days before they are over.

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Screwdriver with Costco vodka. Seems ok and my second. Halved chicken on the grill. Life is good.
image.jpg

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Made some popsicles with coconut milk, cane sugar-Basil-lemon syrup and had some of the mix leftover so I blended it up with Drumshanbo gin and ice and finished it with tonic. Not bad.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads