• We would like to welcome Craftsman Clothing back as an official Affiliate Vendor. Craftsman Clothing is a brand for the refined men who want to look good with minimal effort, and care about products that are well-made. In additon to being a go-to brand for all things essential, Craftsman Clothing also offers bespoke outerwear that’s uniquely crafted for you. Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What are you drinking right now?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Prepping for a Labour Day weekend BBQ thing we're doing. Infused simple with a bunch of mint then batched fresh squeezed lime juice, rum, and simple. Ice in glass, pour to top of ice, top with soda and add a couple of mint leaves crushed by hand, stir. Working perfectly and do a five gallon batch for next Sunday.

Lizard23

Reaction score
Prepping for a Labour Day weekend BBQ thing we're doing. Infused simple with a bunch of mint then batched fresh squeezed lime juice, rum, and simple. Ice in glass, pour to top of ice, top with soda and add a couple of mint leaves crushed by hand, stir. Working perfectly and do a five gallon batch for next Sunday.
My current favorite restaurant for business in manhattan batches cocktails. While it does remove the romanticism of a bartender mixing you a martini, it ensures every drink is precisely the same and cold beyond belief. I am a fan but it occasionally causes a stir at the bar.

Of course if you ask, they will mix you a drink to your preferred taste as well.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I think batching tends to remind people of five gallon buckets of crappy margaritas made with raunchy tequila and powdered sour mix, at least, that's what it tends to bring to mind for me. Obviously there's very little need to batch at home but I thought doing it next weekend, with good ingredients, would be just the thing. I'll stick carafes of the mix in the ice bin in my outdoor bar and have our Soda Stream out there to make the soda as needed with water from the outdoor sink. Should be pretty slick.

Lizard23

Reaction score
I think batching tends to remind people of five gallon buckets of crappy margaritas made with raunchy tequila and powdered sour mix, at least, that's what it tends to bring to mind for me. Obviously there's very little need to batch at home but I thought doing it next weekend, with good ingredients, would be just the thing. I'll stick carafes of the mix in the ice bin in my outdoor bar and have our Soda Stream out there to make the soda as needed with water from the outdoor sink. Should be pretty slick.
The need to batch at home is directly correlated with the need to actually enjoy your guests as opposed to mixing drinks all night. Admitttedly, depending on the guest list mixing drinks is exactly what i want to do sometimes.

My wife and I were actually discussing this tangentially last night over some end of night drinks at the firepit :hide:.

The more we want to actually enjoy the company of our guests, the simpler the menu (unless our guests like to cook as well and then it might swing entirely the other way).

Last night we did a hamburger bar with all the fixings and spent the bulk of the evening chatting. Hell, i didnt even make my own patties.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your posts piques my interest, because this brand is based in DC. I ought to visit their tasting room to decide for myself, but just out of curiosity, what do you not like about their amaros?
I believe we have two in-house, but they are so far back in the bar I'm not sure. Bought them 2 years ago perhaps? I remember them being extremely bitter and also muddy in the middle; a palate of flavors that were indistinct and not harmonious.

Will see what we have tonight and report back - if you go to the tasting room then we can compare.

The Finnonchietto, though, is excellent. The fennel coolness is accented with a restrained amount of anise and some other herbals. Could be a little drier for my taste, but in cocktails, lengthening it with dry vermouth attends to that.

~H

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So here we are:

The Ce Ra Sum is so promising on the nose, of cherries, but complex, bitter, and inviting. When tasting, the cherries are at the forefront, but then there is alcohol and it fades to a bitterness that lies at the back of your throat. My wife says it is like cherries and everclear. We both preferred the Luna; rhubarb, and grapefruit on the nose, those notes hitting with gentian, juniper and some heavy dark roots on the palate. Super bitter. I cut them both 2:1 with vodka to taste them diluted; again not a fan. Both are called apertivos, and man, that is hardcore for an apertivo -- their weight is far more amaro-like. I feel like I could do somethign with the Ce Ra Sum in a cocktail, but I'm just not inspired.

So while I would love to try more of their products, at $40 a pop and loving only one of three, I'd have to taste before delving in again. I'd be most interested in their Nocino, as I love dry nutty flavors in the Fall, but we have been making our own nocino for the last few years (we infuse, BATFE, we don't distill) so I already have like 1.5L kicking around!

It's quite fun to crack the nuts open when the nutmeats are still translucent and jelly-like. We decanted it just Saturday; it was black as night. In went some more spices and some red wine; apparently you can make a sort of Calabrian vermouth that way. I am down with that.

~ H

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Been trying out mezcals lately, especially those without pronounced smoke. Wish they were cheaper, but understandable given how the most mezcal varietals are basically wild grown and all the producers are super small batch traditional (compared to mass produced tequila)

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been trying out mezcals lately, especially those without pronounced smoke. Wish they were cheaper, but understandable given how the most mezcal varietals are basically wild grown and all the producers are super small batch traditional (compared to mass produced tequila)
Del Maguey's Chichicapa and Minero are wonderful in this regard. The Vida blend is a low-priced alternative, too, at like $35 a bottle.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Del Maguey's Chichicapa and Minero are wonderful in this regard. The Vida blend is a low-priced alternative, too, at like $35 a bottle.
This is obviously subjective, but I HATE the Vida...not good at all.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It’s not bad. I’m not sure how anyone could find it offensive. There are a lot of food and beverage things that I can understand people not enjoying, but they don’t taste like piss or shit. Bud light and vodka come to mind in this regard.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not offensive, just supremely mediocre (again, just my opinion). Some of the other Del Maguey selections are great, it should be noted. The Vida is one you would have to pay me to drink.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use Vida for mixing, and for that for me it is really just fine. I am doing a drink right now that is mezcal, tequila, genepi, lime, and Carpano bianco that is pretty darn good, I have to say. If there is a better mexcal for mixing I am all ears -- I started mezcal with Del Maguey and am likely biased toward their flavor profile. I don't, however, want to use a really high-quality mezcal for mising as I thinkt hat is a waste. I am, to an extent, conservationist about spirits.

~ H

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.