• We would like to welcome Craftsman Clothing back as an official Affiliate Vendor. Craftsman Clothing is a brand for the refined men who want to look good with minimal effort, and care about products that are well-made. In additon to being a go-to brand for all things essential, Craftsman Clothing also offers bespoke outerwear that’s uniquely crafted for you. Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What are you drinking right now?

sftiger

Reaction score
had some people over at our july sublet for some tamales and tacos in the back garden. a friend brought over some naked lady brand tequila that was lying around (apparently her sister had too much tequila and she happens to be pregnant and has no use for it). we had some (delicious) lowbrow palomas with squirt soda. and then i realized it's kind of fancy stuff.

i'm no tequila expert, but it's super smooth without having a lot of character. i'm tempted just to make more cheap/expensive palomas with it.
Been drinking a lot of Palomas this summer but I’ve been adding a splash of Campari on top to cut some of the sweetness, really refreshing

gnatty8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many bottles opened yesterday but this is a unicorn. Interestingly it was the most Scotch like bourbon I’ve ever tasted with distinct notes of salinity and peat.

About the bottler: https://www.thewhiskybarrel.com/independent-bottlers/creative-whiskey-co.html

View attachment 1203420
I like the distilled at "a Distillery in Tennessee", which makes me wonder which one! There aren't many, especially since this one was made in 2003. Dickel maybe? I'd love to try this one, but tried the link above and don't see it offered anymore.

gnatty8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have been really enjoying tequila more than almost anything else this summer, and last night, I had a glass of the Patron Estate Release. Probably one of the best tequilas I have ever tasted, and I normally don't tend to drink much of their main releases.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Quebecois have a lovely aperitif called Amermelade. It is something in between Aperol and Campari, but with a menthol note. Makes a lovely cocktail on the Negroni model, but with Dolin Blanc vermouth.

braised

Reaction score
I came back from Texas with an affection for Ranch Water, which is basically tequila and soda with lime, but light on the tequila. You can pretty much just motor them.

We’ve decided that there are many variations on this theme
City-water= vodka
Farm water = bourbon
Island water = rum

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Damn good looking drink, Hunts. I need to get a set of Nick&Nora glasses.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
So I'm still kicking around the idea of moonshining but I just can't get myself to lay out the $700 needed to get started. Here's the still: https://milehidistilling.com/product/turbo-500-still-distiller/ and then you need a wash kit with is basically a fermentation bucket and then another plastic bucket like container where you filter it through a second charcoal filter. Toss in the yeast, fining agents, etc. and you're talking a pretty penny for what is basically a grand experiment in my mind. Once set up though it seems like you can create a neutral spirit at a very low cost per litre at 40%. The still actually yields a distillate that's about 90% but you use your hydrometer and dilute it out with water to 40% or whatever you desire.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Mojitos. Hot mess but great sipping at the pool.

482A2FCD-FF51-4CF3-B47F-A8B429D2843F.jpeg

Last edited:

Beckwith

Reaction score
Piob,

you ever check out the Pico and Pico Still? Might be a neat contraption without breaking the bank for an experiment. I had one in house until wife noticed what it was and said contraption went back to sender.

So I'm still kicking around the idea of moonshining but I just can't get myself to lay out the $700 needed to get started. Here's the still: https://milehidistilling.com/product/turbo-500-still-distiller/ and then you need a wash kit with is basically a fermentation bucket and then another plastic bucket like container where you filter it through a second charcoal filter. Toss in the yeast, fining agents, etc. and you're talking a pretty penny for what is basically a grand experiment in my mind. Once set up though it seems like you can create a neutral spirit at a very low cost per litre at 40%. The still actually yields a distillate that's about 90% but you use your hydrometer and dilute it out with water to 40% or whatever you desire.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been interested in vaguely savoury cocktails for a while, and just picked up this Fennel liqueur which is marvelous, though I don't like this brand's amaros. Just put this together, so no name, but Linie Aquavit, Old Raj, Carpano Bianco for its herbal notes, and this fennel spirit, tied together with Crude "Rizzo" bitters (Grapefruit, pink peppercorn and rosemary -- excellent stuff). Pretty solid.

Damn good looking drink, Hunts. I need to get a set of Nick&Nora glasses.
Thanks. They are pretty old and beautiful, with platinum rims.I like Nick & Nora glasses for some cocktails, just for fun.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Out to dinner in a Japanese/Korean fusion restaurant and discovered this. Very tasty and enjoyable.
57502B3E-AB6F-40AF-998E-037E774A9BD5.jpeg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Piob,

you ever check out the Pico and Pico Still? Might be a neat contraption without breaking the bank for an experiment. I had one in house until wife noticed what it was and said contraption went back to sender.
Just took a look; interesting stuff.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A cuppa roasted Ti Quan Yin. Thinking about some rot gut plum flavored sake for tonight.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been interested in vaguely savoury cocktails for a while, and just picked up this Fennel liqueur which is marvelous, though I don't like this brand's amaros. Just put this together, so no name, but Linie Aquavit, Old Raj, Carpano Bianco for its herbal notes, and this fennel spirit, tied together with Crude "Rizzo" bitters (Grapefruit, pink peppercorn and rosemary -- excellent stuff). Pretty solid.
Your posts piques my interest, because this brand is based in DC. I ought to visit their tasting room to decide for myself, but just out of curiosity, what do you not like about their amaros?

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.