1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

What are you drinking right now?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by VMan, Oct 25, 2006.

Tags:
  1. b1os

b1os Distinguished Member

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Went to Seattle in October and I'll tell you the scene there is spectacular. Canon Bar (Jamie Boudreau) was, as billed, the world's best spirits selection. It was also a lot of fun and the sweet breads were so killer the four of us had three orders. The Fog Room, on top of the new Charter, was also killer. The wine selection included Cristal BTG with some good Paso picks too and the small plates were awesome. House made blood sausage that I could every, single day. Then there's the bar program at Canlis and it's really something to sit at the bar and watch drinks be made. Dinner was completely on point too.

I'm more than a little jelly of @RedLantern

3. Piobaire

Enjoying this guy's channel the last couple of weeks:

4. Bhowie

Bhowie Stylish Dinosaur

I’m acquaintes with Derek. He is a really fun, nice guy. My friend would do episodes with him all the time. Met him at Tales one year and chatted with him at some events in Boston.

5. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Distinguished Member

friend gave me a bottle of Dobel Diamante tequila for my birthday. I don't know much about tequila (not a member of a renowned tequila forum, alas) but I'm enjoying sipping this neat.

6. Piobaire

Should a man of your advanced age be drinking that straight? Asking for a friend.

7. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Distinguished Member

maybe you're right

i'd better go mix it with some bourbon

8. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Stylish Dinosaur

A Martinez made with Hayman’s old tom gin. Infinitely more drinkable than a martini.

9. Gibonius

Gibonius Stylish Dinosaur

Anyone have thoughts on whether it matters about using sugar cubes in a Sazerac vs simple syrup?

I've never noticed a difference. Morgenthaler says it doesn't matter. Don't really feel like buying and using sugar cubes just for authenticity.

10. Piobaire

Simple is so much easier to mix and always gives the option of infusing too.

11. Bhowie

Bhowie Stylish Dinosaur

Or make a rich syrup. At the end of the day you’re just fucking with dilution. The amount of water added by simple is maybe a quarter of an ounce depending on your build.

12. Piobaire

Yeah, I should have mentioned I always do a rich simple.

13. Gibonius

Gibonius Stylish Dinosaur

That was my only thought with the sugar cubes. If you muddle the bitters straight on a sugar cube, you're not going to be adding any water.

End of the day, it's a pretty small amount of water, even for a short drink. I've never figured it matters enough to worry about. Purist might disagree, but I sure can't taste a difference.

Doesn't seem like there's much downside to rich simple. Measuring precision, maybe.

I've always done rich simple, except for some flavored syrups where I might want to be able to add more flavor and less sugar.

14. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Distinguished Member

Sunday evening dinner made. So Coruba rum,black death and lime with plenty of ice.