1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

What are you drinking right now?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by VMan, Oct 25, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I actually, for realz this time, gave up pipe smoking. I've always enjoyed a pipe on occasion in the cool weather while sitting outside but it just kills my palate for a couple of days.

2. Resistant

Resistant Senior Member

3. Piobaire

Cocktail glasses for your martini: chill in freezer or no?

I've taken to loading a mixing glass full of ice and keeping that and two cocktail glasses in the freezer.

4. Bhowie

Bhowie Stylish Dinosaur

If you have the space I would do it. I keep a Yari in there too. I don’t use my freezer for anything except ice cream and ice.

5. Bhowie

Bhowie Stylish Dinosaur

5D8FC808-2476-4DEF-8A9F-238C5E97C86E.gif

6. b1os

b1os Distinguished Member

That also reintroduces the question whether to store gin, vodka etc in the freezer.

7. Piobaire

I went a little crazy on the mixing glasses and think I have six or seven at this point. I had a couple and then Crate and Barrel (yeah, I know) had a sale on a quite large, very heavy bottomed, mixing glass with a quality Hawthorne and bar spoon kit. Was like $19.99 and I bought a bunch for Xmas gifts...several stuck in my barback though. :)

We have two chest freezers in the garage. Fully of stuff like homemade sausage, smoked meats, etc. but I always make sure there's room for those round ice cubes and to chill bar shit.

8. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Distinguished Member

I wish I belonged to a renowned bourbon forum.

9. Piobaire

No, unless you plan to drink it straight in shots. The reason is proper dilution won't occur if it's frozen. Room temp stuff will make the ice melt as you mix.

10. Piobaire

You have to swear an oath not to buy shares in MGP.

11. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Stylish Dinosaur

Absolutely freeze all glasses (rocks, martini, collins).

A very well-known DC bartender keeps his Plymouth gin in the freezer to minimize dilution of his martinis. He also believes that a 1:1 ratio of gin:vermouth is how "God intended" for a martini to taste, so YMMV. (I like this ratio, and my martinis with Old Tom gin and two dashes of orange bitters.)

12. b1os

Yeah, but that's the same argument about the mixing glass.

IIRC a lot of high end bars in Japan store their clear mixing spirits in the freezer to be able to deliver consistent results - of course they need to adjust the recipes, i.e. add some almost-frozen water to make up for the dilution.

I think it's mostly a gimmick, but at least in theory it makes sense if you really want to replicate recipes perfectly every time.

13. Bhowie

Bhowie Stylish Dinosaur

Leave it to the Japanese to be extreme and not necessaryily functional. Unless I’m are prebatcbing and pre diluting your cocktails with clear spirits, that you make cocktails with, don’t fucking freeze them. These bars are all climate controlled. Your shit isnt going to vary in temperature, give me a fucking break. I also don’t really use yaris anymore. I’m tin on tin all the time for all cocktails. They are making metal yaris now.

I do think keeping batched and diluted Plymouth martinis is such a dope fucking idea.

14. Bhowie

Bhowie Stylish Dinosaur

I went to detroit recently. They have an interesting bar scene there. They’ve really been taken by the New York small cocktail bar scene. That said they are making some fantastic cocktails. Sugar House was the best I went to for cocktails. Weaker for ambiance, but drinks slated.

Loved the logo. I wanna steal this for my apartment and brand everything Club Chase. I have people over after hours a lot.

The blue cheese cocktail was dope. I read it an immediately knew it was a cheese board play. They nailed it. God damn it was perfectly balanced and flowed back and forth between all ingredients.

756A23CA-90BE-4380-A7DA-CD7D5509216A.jpeg

C108C57D-597F-4AE8-8C2B-52E7BAD2C5D2.jpeg

A3D26EDC-F44E-4206-870C-23A32B882955.jpeg

D5C589B1-5C81-4ABE-847D-F97DED7E13B4.jpeg

15. b1os

Agree 100% btw. But what I was going for is that keeping your mixing glass in the freezer messes with dilution already (to a lesser extent than keeping your spirits in the freezer of course). Whereas keeping your tumblers etc in the freezer just helps with keeping the already prepped drink cold.

Unfortunately, my Laph 15 is already empty. Haven't bought a vodka in ages, but drinking some cheapish but decent vodka with Club Mate right now, while listening to Courtney Barnett and Kurt Vile's Tiny Desk Concert. :>

BTW: Have you guys tried Morgenthaler's blended Negroni? Tastes fucking delicious, but i really can't stomach such cold drinks. My throat hurts like hell after like half a glass.