• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you drinking right now?

Chouan

Reaction score
Pity that it has no connection to Connemara beyond the name. It's like a whisky made in Glasgow being called Balquidder.
These people mass produces whiskey in their various distilleries then flavour it and give it "romantic" Irish names. It used to be made in Dundalk, which is about as far from Connemara one can get in Ireland!

Last edited:

Article 26

Reaction score
9C4FF03B-3A77-4339-95F1-E5CD80B621A9.jpeg

Had a rather trying day - lost four rather good bottles of whisky due to a shelf malfunction.
This was my consolation drink; not a particularly interesting highlander - too much vanilla for me, yet i’m drinking it!

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 937057
Had a rather trying day - lost four rather good bottles of whisky due to a shelf malfunction.
This was my consolation drink; not a particularly interesting highlander - too much vanilla for me, yet i’m drinking it!

Oh man, sorry for your loss. That’s just horrible.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pity that it has no connection to Connemara beyond the name. It's like a whisky made in Glasgow being called Balquidder.
These people mass produces whiskey in their various distilleries then flavour it and give it "romantic" Irish names. It used to be made in Dundalk, which is about as far from Connemara one can get in Ireland!

In spite of all that, this is a great tasting whiskey.

Chouan

Reaction score
In spite of all that, this is a great tasting whiskey.
No doubt. I just dislike what I see as the distillery dishonestly implying that the whiskey has a connection with Connemara, with all that that implies, when it has no connection at all. Not even the peat.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No doubt. I just dislike what I see as the distillery dishonestly implying that the whiskey has a connection with Connemara, with all that that implies, when it has no connection at all. Not even the peat.

I suppose there's something to be said for that. I would also submit perhaps their sublime execution of the spirit could be viewed as fealty in their attempt at redress.

Chouan

Reaction score
I suppose there's something to be said for that. I would also submit perhaps their sublime execution of the spirit could be viewed as fealty in their attempt at redress.
Perhaps, but I would bet that you bought it thinking that it was from Connemara, or at least imagined that it had some connection to Connemara.

Resistant

Reaction score
Irish Whiskey market is awash in the most vial un-creative marketing of spirit. Some claim on the label to be a distillery when in truth distill nothing are just bottlers. Teeling an actual distiller is hawking a 5500$ bottle which is 34year old BUSHMILLS.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps, but I would bet that you bought it thinking that it was from Connemara, or at least imagined that it had some connection to Connemara.

nope, I bought it because I've got a $#!* ton of bottles of whiskey, and I like trying new things.

I get where you're coming from, and it's cool that you have your approach, but that's not why I buy whiskey.

Resistant

Reaction score
Connemara has been in the US market long enough that most consumers would not expect it to be farm to table local product. Such as bruichladdich Springbank kilhomen or west Cork offer.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gotta say, I wouldn't have been able to tell you that Connemara was a place instead of just a brand. Guess I know more about booze than geography.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ooh, that's a nice one. You've persuaded me. :nodding:

I like it anyway, using it to get my sea legs established. Wifee travels a lot and brings me whiskey home from her travels. She made the mistake to getting me Lafavulin 16 twice. So, I've got to acquire the taste for heavily peated whiskey since I now have two unopened bottles of the delectable juice around. This is a good one for me to start out with since it's relatively mild.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like it anyway, using it to get my sea legs established. Wifee travels a lot and brings me whiskey home from her travels. She made the mistake to getting me Lafavulin 16 twice. So, I've got to acquire the taste for heavily peated whiskey since I now have two unopened bottles of the delectable juice around. This is a good one for me to start out with since it's relatively mild.
If you never develop that taste, send em my way :fistbump:

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's a good woman. You hold on to that one.
May I recommend Red Breast? It's an Irish single malt. Possibly my all time favorite.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads