What are you drinking right now?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by VMan, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

I think you are very out of touch with the "cocktail scene." Hotel bars have first and foremost always been about great service. European hotel bars are fantastic. I think in America the non-hotel bars are pushing and driving the craft far more as a whole. I really enjoy hotel bars myself.

2. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

Yeah, you are talking about someone who is probably literally one of the best in the world. With social media and the democratic nature of cocktails people have grown to expect this across the board. You are exactly right about hotel bars being able to do this, and it is a direct result of their not being balls to the wall busy.

I think of batched cocktails as sort of the sous vide version of drinks. It is a tool. You can now perfectly control every aspect of your drink, temp, dilution, precise ingredient control. Consistency is crucial part of a commercial bars success (like kitchens), you now have complete control over that as a manager/owner. It makes a lot of sense to remove that uncertainty. You can also now make more elaborate drinks in a very short period of time. I don't like to create overly complicated cocktails. My vision of cocktails are things that should be consumed quickly (temp loss on a cocktail is a BFD for drinkability), can be made easily by someone at home (the cocktail is a truly American invention, it is a democratic drink, people at home should be able to recreate these things with ease and without a lot of money, the cocktail was invented to lift up lesser quality spirits into a drinkable form), and should be fucking delicious. I'm feeling very ranty lately.

3. cocostella

cocostella Senior member

4. sftiger

sftiger Senior member

Does anyone have any good ideas on classic hotel bars in SF? The Carlyle is my go-to in NYC (not sure about the quality of the cocktails but the atmosphere at Bemelman's Bar is one of my favorites) but I haven't quite found a classic spot like that in SF.

5. saint

saint Senior member

The Redwood Room at the Clift is great.

6. cocostella

cocostella Senior member

^ Used to be, but now run by amateurs. Atmosphere still can be ok, when not filled with sweatpants and lookieloos taking fotos.

7. saint

saint Senior member

^Wow, that's disappointing. I haven't been there in years, but back in the early 90's it was great. They had an old Filipino bartender who had mixed drinks in Manilla for MacArthur. He liked that I ordered a Sidecar and talked to me for awhile about the room itself and his background. Really great old-time pro bartender, extremely proud of his craft. Sad that the Redwood Room has fallen so far, its a beautiful space.

8. cocostella

cocostella Senior member

Yes, my buddy was matradee there for several years during the very late 80s, when it was 5* and was a Four Seasons Hotel and huge Klimts hung on the walls. It's terrible now and the artwork looks like it came from Disneyland's Haunted House.

9. saint

saint Senior member

I remember, at that time it rivaled the King Cole Room for its ambience and art, and the quality of the drinks.

10. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

I think you guys are gonna see the downfall or at least schism in Tales of the Cocktail this year.

Lots of internal struggles and resignations over diversity issues.

11. saint

saint Senior member

^Are people discriminating against brown liquors?

12. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Senior member

I sure hope not. A world without dark liquor is a world in which I don't want to live.

13. saint

saint Senior member

Same here! Say no to hate, participate in the goodness that is whisky, whiskey, rum and brandy!

14. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

Yeah, taken down by some dreaded blackface

Tales of the Cocktail founder Ann Tuennerman resigns

http://www.nola.com/drink/index.ssf/2017/09/ann_tuennerman_resigns.html

"This Mardi Gras, the Tuennermans faced criticism for a social media post of their participation in the Zulu parade. Some criticized Ann Tuennerman for wearing blackface, the costume of riders -- black and white -- in the annual parade of the African-American social organization. Paul Tuennerman was criticized for a comment, made about his wife in blackface, that many found racially insensitive: "Throw a little Black Face on and you lose all your Media Skills."

15. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

MGC Melbourne Dry Gin with blood orange soda and a slice of pink grapefruit.