What are you drinking right now?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by VMan, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

I think you are very out of touch with the "cocktail scene." Hotel bars have first and foremost always been about great service. European hotel bars are fantastic. I think in America the non-hotel bars are pushing and driving the craft far more as a whole. I really enjoy hotel bars myself.

2. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

Yeah, you are talking about someone who is probably literally one of the best in the world. With social media and the democratic nature of cocktails people have grown to expect this across the board. You are exactly right about hotel bars being able to do this, and it is a direct result of their not being balls to the wall busy.

I think of batched cocktails as sort of the sous vide version of drinks. It is a tool. You can now perfectly control every aspect of your drink, temp, dilution, precise ingredient control. Consistency is crucial part of a commercial bars success (like kitchens), you now have complete control over that as a manager/owner. It makes a lot of sense to remove that uncertainty. You can also now make more elaborate drinks in a very short period of time. I don't like to create overly complicated cocktails. My vision of cocktails are things that should be consumed quickly (temp loss on a cocktail is a BFD for drinkability), can be made easily by someone at home (the cocktail is a truly American invention, it is a democratic drink, people at home should be able to recreate these things with ease and without a lot of money, the cocktail was invented to lift up lesser quality spirits into a drinkable form), and should be fucking delicious. I'm feeling very ranty lately.

3. cocostella

cocostella Senior member

4. sftiger

sftiger Senior member

Does anyone have any good ideas on classic hotel bars in SF? The Carlyle is my go-to in NYC (not sure about the quality of the cocktails but the atmosphere at Bemelman's Bar is one of my favorites) but I haven't quite found a classic spot like that in SF.

5. saint

saint Senior member

The Redwood Room at the Clift is great.