What are you drinking right now?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by VMan, Oct 25, 2006.

1. fairlynerdy

fairlynerdy Senior member

Trader Joe's now stocks candied orange slices, which are delicious.

Circle Gets the Square
    2 oz bourbon
    Candied orange slice
    Liberal amounts of fee bros barrel ages bitters

Muddle together, serve over a large ice cube.

IMG_1911.JPG

Was really good. Following it up with Ron Centenario 30 year, which is excellent, my favorite bottle when I feel like treating myself. It was a good week, and worth celebrating.

2. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Aviation Gin, not one I've tried but it's going cheap at a local chain. Views, opinions sought? Dive in or pass that is the question?

3. b1os

b1os Senior member

Never had it but IIRC it's very heapy on the juniper.

Edit: Apparently I recalled incorrectly. ;) Seems to be on the less-junipery and more floral side.

4. MGWS

MGWS Active Member

5. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

I worked for Aviation for a bit. It is a very good New World gin. I think it makes a lot of really good subtle cocktails. While I hate the company, the product is good.

I picked up 2 bottles of Laphroaig Lore for $65/bottle.

6. b1os

b1os Senior member

I'm strongly recalling that some American gin that's supposedly super heavy on the juniper was talked in here about. Is there any rather popular one?

Spritz again for me.

Edit: Seems to be a good price compared to Germany's. Have you tried it yet? Still have an unopened bottle of the Laphroaig 15 LE. :)

Last edited: May 22, 2017 at 12:50 PM
  7. MGWS

MGWS Active Member

Great deal on the Lore. I tend to pick a different bottle to try each time. Lore is not one of my favorites as it seems a bit syrupy to me and I need to add a little water to open it up. It's definitely not bad just not my style.

8. fairlynerdy

fairlynerdy Senior member

Popped into a store I don't usually go to and saw Laphroaig quarter cask and another Laphroaig that was aged in madeira casks (can't remember the name but hoping someone here knows it). Thoughts on either?

9. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

I find these tobacco infusions, tinctures, and bitters to be concerning. Nicotine is a poison with a surprisingly low lethal dose given the concentrations in tobacco, but this is probably because pyrolysis is an inefficient extraction method. Given thst nicotine is both water and alcohol soluable, it seems that the extraction rates by putting tobacco in a spirit would be much higher than smoking. And I don't think random bartenders who have these ideas at 4:00am are sending samples out for an assay. Won't touch the stuff.

10. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

I once read an account of a prison escape that was carried out by the escapee soaking a couple dozen cigarettes in water and then drinking the concoction. It basically induced a mild cardiac arrest, and he was sprung from the ambulance by accomplices when it reached the local hospital. He apparently spent close to a week recuperating from the poisonous effects of the nicotine.

Last edited: May 23, 2017 at 5:42 PM
  11. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

St George Terroir gin i think fits that bill.

I haven't tried the laphroaig lore, but I know a good deal when I see one. I can use it as a gift or something. Peat floats for cocktails. Or in a last word variant.