• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you drinking right now?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
Knob Creek sour. Delicious.
smile.gif

You use sour mix or do you make your own using a recipe?
I find mix easier and obviously less time consuming, but I tried it once with a recipe I think I copied off of Huntsman, and it was exponentially better.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
You use sour mix or do you make your own using a recipe? I find mix easier and obviously less time consuming, but I tried it once with a recipe I think I copied off of Huntsman, and it was exponentially better.
I only make my own, bottled sour mix is terrible. Juicing the lemons through a strainer, measuring out that and the simple syrup, and deciding what bourbon to pull from the cabinet (do I "cheap" it with Maker's, or decide between ultimate smoothness in Woodford or more character in Knob Creek?) is a relaxing ritual. I am still too lazy to do the egg white thing, but, someday soon. I've had a Knob Sour at a 5-star resort where they do the egg-white thing, and it indeed takes the cocktail to another level. Whatever Hunstman tells you to do with your cocktail, you do it.
teacha.gif
Also, love the sig.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Had a nice crisp Riesling (had a few bottles of that lately) with an aromatic curry, the yellow, non-hot, coconut milk type. A great pairing with the acid cutting right through the richness of the coconut milk.

I have a few more orders already paid for and coming in, but I have to announce I am going on a several month moratorium of wine purchases. We are really, really trying to shovel as much money in the bank as possible and as we tend to spend about $700-1000 a month on wine, a moratorium until fall releases is a no brainer. I'll still be posting pics of my cellar selection, but after my last two orders come in, no more pictures of entire cases until around Xmas
frown.gif

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Had a nice crisp Riesling (had a few bottles of that lately) with an aromatic curry, the yellow, non-hot, coconut milk type. A great pairing with the acid cutting right through the richness of the coconut milk.

I have a few more orders already paid for and coming in, but I have to announce I am going on a several month moratorium of wine purchases. We are really, really trying to shovel as much money in the bank as possible and as we tend to spend about $700-1000 a month on wine, a moratorium until fall releases is a no brainer. I'll still be posting pics of my cellar selection, but after my last two orders come in, no more pictures of entire cases until around Xmas
frown.gif

Why save $?

I thought you chose not to participate in any kind of recession?
laugh.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Why save $?

I thought you chose not to participate in any kind of recession?
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

It's not the current recession. It's the future tax raises.
tounge.gif

(Sadly, I'm not kidding. And if taxes don't go up and I'm wrong? Well, we got a buttload of money in the bank. Win/win!
laugh.gif
)

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
I only make my own, bottled sour mix is terrible.

Very true. Making your own sour is as simple as the rest of the cocktail. I use Monin simple syrup, fresh lemons ... sometimes mixing it up with a little lime. I have a hand juicer (a hand held device with convex and concave ends which "invert" and juice half lemons or limes) that makes quick work of this "job."

I juice directly into the glass I'll be drinking, then adjust the syrup to suit my mood, and of course adjust the bourbon (for a whiskey sour).

Lately I've been enjoying Knob Creek, Old Proprietor, and WT Russel's Reserve in my sours. Some gents boo hoo putting anything over $20 a bottle in a cocktail and I boo hoo them for missing out on the effect different spirits have on a judiciously proportioned drink.

I've yet to try the "egg white" thing but will ... perhaps tomorrow afternoon. If I feel truly inspired, I'll fire up a Monte 2 and report back.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So glad to see more cocktailians embracing the joy that comes from fresh juices. Tonight is not a cocktail night for me. I'm writing tonight and I'm feeling old school. I'm feeling a '30's bar where it's better than if you were family. I'm feeling the dichotomy that is subtlety combined with a sledgehammer. And though I usually eschew it in the warmer months, it's a scotch night. But not a night for a peaty Islay, no, for something lighter and sweeter, for something special -- Glenmorangie's Sauternes finished Nectar D' Or. Even though I'm taking it with ice tonight, it is washing over me in lemon and pineapple and honey and toffee and vanilla. Just perfect for the edge of a spring night.
dsc0413yd7.jpg

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Girardian
I've yet to try the "egg white" thing but will ... perhaps tomorrow afternoon. If I feel truly inspired, I'll fire up a Monte 2 and report back.

I made whiskey sour last night from the following recipe:

2 oz bourbon
3/4 oz fresh lemon juice
1/2 oz rich simple syrup (a 2:1 ration of raw sugar to water)
1 tsp. egg white

Combine in a shaker without ice and shake to emulsify (because of the egg), add ice and shake vigorously, strain into a rocks or or pisco glass and drink neat.

My take:

I really enjoy the mouthfeel created by the egg. It is a great addition, though probably not for everyone. It takes the drink to a new level and makes more of an evening cocktail and less of a purely light summer drink.

Traditional or not, I think the recipe would benefit from a touch of orange.

I used Woodford as the bourbon (90 proof) and if this were served over ice I would opt for a 100 proof bourbon.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Girardian, I use orange sometimes, especially in brandy sours, and commonly use 1/4 lime to 3/4 lemon in whatever amount is appropriate in gin or vodka sours. Do you use fresh egg? I've taken to using pasteurized whites -- it isn't quite as good but very close and saves me from worrying. Tonight I've crossed to the dark side. But it's a beautiful chocolate-amber dark side, and this is a truly stunning beer.
dsc0416ve9.jpg

lost in va

Reaction score
Magic Hat Hocus Pocus

I was going to just randomly pick something off the single beer wall but noticed this was being put on the shelf for the first time this year (seasonal) so I had to snag a 6 pack.

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Girardian ... Do you use fresh egg? I've taken to using pasteurized whites -- it isn't quite as good but very close and saves me from worrying.

I do, but I am particular. The egg I used was purchased at a local farmer's market from the farmer from his cooler of eggs with a "laid" date on it (2 days before I bought the eggs), and it went straight home to my refrigerator. It doesn't get much fresher than that, lest you yourself are a tippling farmer.

On top of that, 1 tsp. of egg combined with citrus and alcohol (both keen on killing salmonellae) makes (in my book) the danger well worth it if you truly start with fresh eggs.

I mixed up the recipe and tried it with Wild Turkey 101 (for a higher proof whiskey) and 1 oz of traditional (white sugar, non rich) simple syrup, and over ice. This was also a winner.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
... for something lighter and sweeter, for something special -- Glenmorangie's Sauternes finished Nectar D' Or. Even though I'm taking it with ice tonight, it is washing over me in lemon and pineapple and honey and toffee and vanilla. Just perfect for the edge of a spring night.

dsc0413yd7.jpg

I have never seen a Sauternes aged Scotch. I shall be looking for this on the weekend!

Englandmj7

Reaction score
Tonight I've crossed to the dark side. But it's a beautiful chocolate-amber dark side, and this is a truly stunning beer.

I'm disappointed that a connoisseur of the booze would drink his Chimay in such a glass.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
<Laughs> I agree. But I know next to nothing about beer; furthermore, I love those glasses. I don't have any beer tulips, but this is something I will rectify.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads