• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are You Drinking for Thanksgiving 2009?

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an excellent Miller Lite '09 that will go well with the American Football contest I will be viewing.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by munchausen
I have an excellent Miller Lite '09 that will go well with the American Football contest I will be viewing.

Noob, the '08 vintage was much more flinty.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
While cooking: Some Old Rasputin stout

Dinner: ah hell I don't know. nothing alcoholic

Once everyone's gone: bourbon. I'm not sure I'll even care which one.

hedgehog

Reaction score
Large amounts of coffee, while studying for an exam. We don't have thanksgiving in Norway.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by saint
Cranberry sauce/relish is definitely a wine killer. I usually wait until seconds on food or my third or fourth glass of wine before I put it on my plate. Coconut creme pie is great, but, as you suggest kind of difficult to pair. I'd try a PX sherry or, better a Bual or Malmsey Madeira, the acidity should cut through the creaminess of the pie, and if you're lucky it'll have some tropical fruit flavor to it that'll play off the coconut nicely.
Really a Gewurtz with a little sweetness does not get killed by the Cranberries. Awesome wine. Nice call on the Madeira, I have a beautiful Malmsey in the cellar.
Originally Posted by Thomas
Dinner: ah hell I don't know. nothing alcoholic
So sorry to hear. ~ H

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually stick to Beaujolais for red and Riesling type wine for white. In general, I don`t think the other choices go well with a turkey dinner.

Champagne makes turkey taste dry
Chardonnay is often recommended but I don`t think it goes well with turkey dinner
Cabs are a bit overpowering
Pinot Noir is often recommended, but in my opinion it overpowers slightly

If you want to go with a fancy wine, I would open a nice, German Riesling. For red, there is really no reason to open something fancy. Beaujolais area wines are more enjoyable with the dinner than the other choices in my opinion. Maaaybe my Plan B would be a light Merlot or light Bordeaux wine with a high merlot blend.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
confused.gif
There is always a reason to open a bottle of something fancy.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
The Zin and the Beaujolais Nouveau. Drank the Shiraz yesterday (pass)

2822748680043813381S500x500Q85.jpg

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
confused.gif
There is always a reason to open a bottle of something fancy.

If you feel like splurging on a red for Thanksgiving dinner, spend an extra $10 on the Beaujolais and get one from the specific, quality growers. There`s no reason to get any more fancy than that, especially since it`s a better pairing than the others (for red). Even with Beaujolais, you don`t want to get too fancy, as those growers usually try to make their wines more like Burgundys. This is not a case of trying to get value or enjoy on a budget. It`s just that the more expensive choices don`t go well with Turkey or the trimmings.

If you still need a reason to open a fancy bottle, open the fancy Riesling. A $20 vs $200 Riesling can make a big difference (although the $20 ones are still pretty good).

justtemple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to a wine bar later with a friend to enjoy a bottle of Flavium Crianza Mencia.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
If you still need a reason to open a fancy bottle, open the fancy Riesling. A $20 vs $200 Riesling can make a big difference (although the $20 ones are still pretty good).

if you're dropping $200 no a Riesling, odds are you'll be picking up a Trockenbeerenauslese or a Beerenauslese. Stellar wines, no doubt, but high residual sugar that I think would be more suited as a dessert wine (as they usually are regardless of the meal). Also, you'll be dropping big coin for a 375 ml bottle.

For German riesling, I'd probably stick with Spätlese or Auslese, the former being a little dryer. It's easy to spend $35-70 in this category and pick up a sensational wine. I'd drink these with the actual meal and then leave the big guns for the dessert.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ended up getting Paulaner Original, because hey, it's a special day.

aboutsomeoneelse

Reaction score
Got a bottle of Martini & Rossi prosecco for the pre-game; probably enjoying a bottle of Menage a Trois 2008 during the festivities, and at least a bottle or two of 2° Below (New Belgium's winter brew) between now and the end of the evening. Nothing too fancy 'cause it ain't in the budget.
smile.gif

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wound up being Old-Fashioneds for the pre-dinner cocktail, Gewurtz with dinner, Sloe Gin Fizzes afterwards (but I made them like sours, no soda, but yes to white and a splash of Cointreau). Grand Marnier Centenaire after dinner, now catching up on long overdue correspondence with Oban Distiller's edition, ice, and a splash of water.
Originally Posted by gomestar
if you're dropping $200 no a Riesling, odds are you'll be picking up a Trockenbeerenauslese or a Beerenauslese. Stellar wines, no doubt, but high residual sugar that I think would be more suited as a dessert wine (as they usually are regardless of the meal). Also, you'll be dropping big coin for a 375 ml bottle. For German riesling, I'd probably stick with Spätlese or Auslese, the former being a little dryer. It's easy to spend $35-70 in this category and pick up a sensational wine. I'd drink these with the actual meal and then leave the big guns for the dessert.
Yeah, a Beeren- or Trocken- would really be to sweet for the meal, and are the only $200 Rieslings I can think of also. $50 can land you a stunning Spatlese, which is the sugar level I'd be looking for with Thanksgiving. Darn near opened a Trocken for dessert, but the mood went to cocktails. ~ H

youngScholar

Reaction score
Smoking Loon and Wily Jack, both 2007 Cabernet Sauvignons.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads