• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you doing to make the world better?

slycedbred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fade to Black
Well I don't think I'm in a position to change the world that drastically, but I try to do my part by being as uncritical and open minded to different perspectives as possible, and I genuinely try to help out anyone I know who comes to me for it. Just tryin to make sure the world has one more of the good guys...

+1

Originally Posted by TheIdler
I provide a shining example of how to dress well.

+2

Originally Posted by LabelKing
All men are created equal--all men, that is, who possess umbrellas.

+10,000

Originally Posted by johnapril
Support drug trafficking.

Fixed.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoSurface
Ok, I'll bite (Although, I don't want to hi-jack the thread).

Swollen Apathy
Oil on Canvas
32 x 24
Allegory about corruption v virtue (but more complex?)

From this:

To this:

I've been really lazy about finishing it. Two years later and its still not complete.
frown.gif

Yeah, that is pretty awesome.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An ex of mine is in declining health and has no family to care for him. He is now in a nursing home.

I have become his legal guardian. I speak to him daily, visit him frequently and manage his affairs.

Everyone should have someone, and he has me.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I did my little share to decrease the bad guy population

trying to raise my kids to be good citizens
and people

in a very limited manner, try to recycle and not be wasteful of resources (although, I could live to be 500 and there is no ******* way I can offset my carbon footprint)

have planted trees

give, in a limited manner but hopefully that will grow, to charities that provide educational opportunities to underpriveleged kids, and to charities that provide farm animals to poor people in the 3rd world.

give out my left overs to street people when traveling, and about $200 a year to bums

donate food to food banks

by selling, I help provide manufacturing jobs for people.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Well, this is hard to think of when I actually think of it.

Lately, I haven't been doing much. I ride my bike to work instead of driving the 1.5 miles... I'm much better about turning off lights when I leave a room, not leaving my TV on all night, etc. Those are both very little things, but I like to think they help add up.

Also, when I was in HS, I started a county-wide drug awareness campaign for high schoolers. There were 3 high schools in my county, and there were 15 kids from each HS that were in the program. Twice a year, we got together for retreats. It was cool. We had sherriffs volunteer to give seminars on drug awareness, ways that we could keep kids from doing drugs, ways that we can help out in the community. The volunteer cook was the county judge, that was actually really cool. Also, everyone in the entire group got to take 1/2 days on every Friday. We'd take the afternoons and go to the elementary schools and mentor the 5th graders. It was cool. We got 1/2 days, they got 1/2 day of recess and to hang out with us... We got to talk to them bout serious things.. win-win all the way around.

That was started my sophomore year. I'm glad to see that 5 years later it's still going really strong. Also, we get enough donations that each year the program gives out scholarships to it's most outstanding members, so my freshman year I got a 5 grand scholarship for starting it. Also, it looks really good on my resume for starting something like that, not to mention the personal happiness it gives me.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
+1! That's really cool GS. Let's see some more.

Uh-oh.

Thanks Wilky, I'll PM you some more if you like.

Originally Posted by mack11211
An ex of mine is in declining health and has no family to care for him. He is now in a nursing home.

I have become his legal guardian. I speak to him daily, visit him frequently and manage his affairs.

And, this is incredibly selfless. The act of just being there helps. You are certainly a better man than I, sickness and dying scare the **** out of me.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211

this is very very impressive, you are a good man.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I keep skinny NYC princesses and gallerinas well fed. But there are rumors that I help a lot with the global refugee crisis.

Fulcannelli

Reaction score
Was thinking about this the other day after speaking to someone who had a 'proper job' i.e. something that actually helps other poeple.

I work to make other people more money that I make myself and most of the companies are pretty seedy....

I do admire anything or anyone altruistic but cannot think of a single personal example. Maybe one will present itself now i've noticed. (hopefully it wont put me out to much.....lol
laugh.gif
)

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
raising 3 kids to be far less materialistic than i've proven to be.

limping_decorum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will refuse to buy a pair of boat shoes.

Right up there with Ugg Boots and Crocs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads