• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you applying to your menswear from/after reading "The Suit"?

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a true measure of this lovely book is if you apply it to improve your sartorial style.

The following are a few brief refinements that I've applied:

Purchased 2 linen sportcoats, the book gave me more confidence in linen as an appropriate, and elegant sportcoat material for summer and made me less fond of silk.

Looking for some better cufflinks in silver, something more sublime.

Suspenders...have caught my interest. In fact, I took notice of a gentleman in Chicago yesterday and he looked quite well put together.

I've already been toning down my ties to navy's burgundy's and elegant stripes.

So what have you applied from/after reading, "The Suit"

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The primary thing Manton's book did for me is to adjust/focus my perspective on clothes and style. And my vocabulary -- I'm going to start referring to things more often as an "abomination" that will lead to one's "ruin."
smile.gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
For me the book was enjoyable as entertainment and an interesting insight into someone else's POV, but I'm not changing anything about how I dress based on the book. The things Manton says "dont do" that I do, I will still do.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
For me the book was enjoyable as entertainment and an interesting insight into someone else's POV, but I'm not changing anything about how I dress based on the book. The things Manton says "dont do" that I do, I will still do.

Ditto.

ATM

Reaction score
I now will do whatever it takes to maintain power.

Wait, wrong book.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I'm still tall and thin, still go without the pleats. Not changing.
tongue.gif

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure yet. I have not finished the book completely to be honest plus I have put a freeze on major clothing purchases for a little while.

Tyto

Reaction score
The only real change from here on out will be the break on my trousers. I generally prefer a rather full break, but after hiking a pair up a bit to test, I must concede that Manton (and Flusser and Boyer) are correct--a minimal break does flatter my stubby frame better than a full one. I'll still cuff my trousers, though, and I'll still favor red/burgundy/oxblood shoes over other colors.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Regarding sublime cufflinks but you Kant always get what you want.

Arthur, I thought you passed in 1860, but you still haunt me in the afterlife, oh, and SF. Logan loves the hairstyle.
-Kant and his sublime cufflinks

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
I'm still tall and thin, still go without the pleats. Not changing.
tongue.gif

I'm tall and lean as well(as is Manton) but the truth is that pleated trousers simply hang better than flat fronts. I grew up wearing flat front trousers but once I tried pleated(there was no ageist stigma associated at the time) I realised that they were aesthetically superior and more comfortable, to boot.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pleats are certainly better with braces. But lower rise trousers are more attractive without. I find they hang as nicely as cinched trousers can, all else equal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads