• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are these stains on my shirt after washing?!

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My laundry routine for my dress shirts is washer + 5 mins dryer and hand iron. The shirts are mixed with underwear, socks, and towels. I use Tide Free & Gentle detergent. In the batch I just took out, some of my shirts have this yellowish stain on them. I've gotten this before on a polo shirt, not knowing where it came from. My dry cleaner couldn't take out the stain, so these are really bad news. Anyone know where this is coming from? The washer and dryer are pretty old, could they be leaking something onto my shirts?

Edit: I think I've figured out what it is. I left two brass collar stays in the shirts while washing and drying. They're exactly the same color as the stains. :fu:

Last edited:

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

My laundry routine for my dress shirts is washer + 5 mins dryer and hand iron. The shirts are mixed with underwear, socks, and towels. I use Tide Free & Gentle detergent. In the batch I just took out, some of my shirts have this yellowish stain on them. I've gotten this before on a polo shirt, not knowing where it came from. My dry cleaner couldn't take out the stain, so these are really bad news. Anyone know where this is coming from? The washer and dryer are pretty old, could they be leaking something onto my shirts?

Edit: I think I've figured out what it is. I left two brass collar stays in the shirts while washing and drying. They're exactly the same color as the stains. :fu:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/306810/...-maybe-win-a-prize-ongoing-front-page-contest

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe the stays but would be odd unless they are rusted. The other possibility is that the felt seal in your dryer is old. Feel along the drum to see if there is a gap there between the drum and the edge --- there should be felt blocking this and you shouldn't be able to stick your fingers in there. If there is a gap, those stains are likely rust stains from the shirts getting caught in the edges when the drum rotates.

I only suggest this b/c it recently happened with my dryer.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually you may be right. I remember now that I didn't notice any of these stains after I took the shirts out of the washer. There's also no stains on the actual shirt that the collar stays were in, just on other shirts. And the stains aren't under the collar at all. I took these pictures. Could the bare metal be causing it? I wiped it with a paper towel and while it wasn't the cleanest, there isn't any rust coming off. I didn't feel a felt seal or gap anywhere. The only thing close is that rubber ring around the drum.

Last edited:

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure, a bit off my specialty. For me there was no obvious rust either. Throw a white towel in there and see if it gets any stains.

http://www.fixya.com/support/t405677-dryer_leaves_pinkish_brown_residue

Luckily for me, I still rent at the moment so my complex replaced my dryer when I told them. But there are a ton of posts on google about it and the solution seems to be to replace the felt, which requires a technician to do.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Feces stains. I would check to see that that feces catch compartment in the washing machine is empty. If it's full, you'll know that's the problem.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What type of water are you using in your iron? If you are using the water reservoir in your iron you should be using distilled water only. Tap water will, when converted to steam by the iron, release mineral deposits also known as 'water hardness'. These minerals can be spewed out of the steam holes of the iron and as you iron your shirt these deposits will be ironed right into the shirt. There is also the possibility of rust forming inside the iron if water is left sitting in the irons water chamber for prolonged periods of time. Check the steam holes on your iron. If there is encrustation, you should buy a new iron altogether.
I recommend using a dollar store spray bottle and mist the shirt with water, then iron with a dry iron. No stains at all. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ This happened to our old iron. Tap water leaves a brown residue left in it which spwe out on the shirt when ironing.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What type of water are you using in your iron? If you are using the water reservoir in your iron you should be using distilled water only. Tap water will, when converted to steam by the iron, release mineral deposits also known as 'water hardness'. These minerals can be spewed out of the steam holes of the iron and as you iron your shirt these deposits will be ironed right into the shirt. There is also the possibility of rust forming inside the iron if water is left sitting in the irons water chamber for prolonged periods of time. Check the steam holes on your iron. If there is encrustation, you should buy a new iron altogether.
I recommend using a dollar store spray bottle and mist the shirt with water, then iron with a dry iron. No stains at all. Hope this helps.

Do you actually use the steaming function of your iron? 95% of my clothes just specify heat setting 1 or 2 of 3 (1 or 2 dots) on the label. And for steam to create it needs at least 3 dots (at least my irons do).

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mine is different and generates steam all the time. The brown stuff usually oozed out in the ten first seconds.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, guess I need to invest in a better one then. But I'm not sure whether 1 dot equals >100°C, which obviously is the minimum temperature of the steam.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
guys, most steam irons have a self clean feature.

Use it..what comes outta there is nasty.

My rowenta was leaving some stains, but after the self clean, no more stains.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you actually use the steaming function of your iron? 95% of my clothes just specify heat setting 1 or 2 of 3 (1 or 2 dots) on the label. And for steam to create it needs at least 3 dots (at least my irons do).
Are all your clothes made from silk or something? Any shirt made from cotton should be able to take plenty of heat to create steam.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are all your clothes made from silk or something? Any shirt made from cotton should be able to take plenty of heat to create steam.

No, not at all. I just checked a couple100% cotton items. Danolis shirt, 2 dots. Gherardi shirt, 1 dot. Hackett shirt, 2 dots. Etro polo, 1 dot. I don't know why, but that's what the label says.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you actually use the steaming function of your iron? .

No I am past that now. To clarify, I myself use a dollar store spray bottle and mist my shirts with water, then iron with a dry iron. Or if I have time, I'll iron them right out of the washer and let them hang for a few hours after. Between my shirts and my S.O.'s panties, underwear & bras (or is it the other way around), there are almost always clothes hanging.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads