• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are these cufflinks called?

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Dragging up a picture that's popped up a few times before. What is the style of cufflink that wraps around the cuff, and does anyone have a good line on where to get them? Someone (Nick M?) linked to a colorful enamel model but I prefer metals like this:

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Labelking will be with you shortly...
I'll preempt and say that I hate cigarettes and the only reason they have aesthetic value is because we've been trained to associate smokiness with mystery and allure
devil.gif

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wrap cufflinks go around the cuff like that, although usually are not as thin.

houserichichi

Reaction score
Any idea who makes them for under 300? I've been searching high and low (ironically) for them the last few weeks and have turned up nothing. I recall a beautiful pair in the first Vogue Men ads at the front of the magazine but they pushed upward of $1500.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's hard to see what's in that picture. Try Cuffliks.com and do a search for "wrap around."

demo5

Reaction score
I was looking for a pair of wrap-arounds (also called stirrups, for certain models) for a long time. You can find some inexpensive ones in base metal at The Missing Link in NY from the 40s/50s. Longmire makes the ultimate version of these, but they are very expensive. Here are a couple of Longmire models... you may be able to get copies made by jewler:

Attachment 42

Attachment 43

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
I'll preempt and say that I hate cigarettes and the only reason they have aesthetic value is because we've been trained to associate smokiness with mystery and allure
devil.gif

It's all rather Postmodernist. Yes, those are called stirrup cufflinks and they were fashionable in the Deco period and the '50s as well. However, these types are fairly rare and Longmire seems to make the bulk of the new ones. That is the Baron Nicolas de Gunzburg, ostensibly the first male fashion editor.

Dmntd

Reaction score
Have you searched wrap around cufflinks on eBay?

Anthony

NickDakota

Reaction score
Am I the only one who cringes every time I see that Demented avatar?!?!

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Thanks folks! I began the thread because I was trying to figure out what to search for on ebay. Now I know, and will start toute-suite.

I didn't notice any last time I visted The Missing Link, but I was looking for something completely different then.

Nick: No.
tongue.gif

demo5

Reaction score
Next time, ask Michael for wrap-arounds or stirrups... he has both precious metal and base metal sets.

Dmntd

Reaction score
I've ordered six shirts made with that style cuff and this style collar. Picked up the trial shirt yesterday evening to find the cufflinks I have don't quite close the cuff.

I'm wondering if I should have the cuffs made thinker, say double the thinkness, or if the wrap around style cufflink might not be a better choice for this style cuff.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

Be well,

Demented

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Tony, are you saying that with the links in, there's still space between the layers of cloth? If so, you're going to have the same effect with any French-cuffed shirt. If your links are connected by a chain, you can have a jeweler remove one or two links to make them shorter.

My personal preference is to leave a little bit of space there anyway, just as a stylistic thing. Demonstrated here by Kabbaz at the SE event:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads