1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What are these cufflinks called?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by tiger02, Mar 31, 2006.

1. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

Dragging up a picture that's popped up a few times before. What is the style of cufflink that wraps around the cuff, and does anyone have a good line on where to get them? Someone (Nick M?) linked to a colorful enamel model but I prefer metals like this:

[​IMG]

2. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

Labelking will be with you shortly...

3. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

Labelking will be with you shortly...
    I'll preempt and say that I hate cigarettes and the only reason they have aesthetic value is because we've been trained to associate smokiness with mystery and allure [​IMG]

4. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Wrap cufflinks go around the cuff like that, although usually are not as thin.

5. houserichichi

houserichichi Senior member

Any idea who makes them for under 300? I've been searching high and low (ironically) for them the last few weeks and have turned up nothing. I recall a beautiful pair in the first Vogue Men ads at the front of the magazine but they pushed upward of $1500.

6. Mute

Mute Senior member

It's hard to see what's in that picture. Try Cuffliks.com and do a search for "wrap around."

7. demo5

demo5 Senior member

I was looking for a pair of wrap-arounds (also called stirrups, for certain models) for a long time. You can find some inexpensive ones in base metal at The Missing Link in NY from the 40s/50s. Longmire makes the ultimate version of these, but they are very expensive. Here are a couple of Longmire models... you may be able to get copies made by jewler:

Attachment 42

Attachment 43
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I'll preempt and say that I hate cigarettes and the only reason they have aesthetic value is because we've been trained to associate smokiness with mystery and allure [​IMG]
    It's all rather Postmodernist. Yes, those are called stirrup cufflinks and they were fashionable in the Deco period and the '50s as well. However, these types are fairly rare and Longmire seems to make the bulk of the new ones. That is the Baron Nicolas de Gunzburg, ostensibly the first male fashion editor.

9. Dmntd

Dmntd Member

Have you searched wrap around cufflinks on eBay?

Anthony

10. NickDakota

NickDakota New Member

Am I the only one who cringes every time I see that Demented avatar?!?!

11. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

Thanks folks! I began the thread because I was trying to figure out what to search for on ebay. Now I know, and will start toute-suite.

I didn't notice any last time I visted The Missing Link, but I was looking for something completely different then.

Nick: No. [​IMG]

12. demo5

demo5 Senior member

Next time, ask Michael for wrap-arounds or stirrups... he has both precious metal and base metal sets.

13. Dmntd

Dmntd Member

I've ordered six shirts made with that style cuff and this style collar. Picked up the trial shirt yesterday evening to find the cufflinks I have don't quite close the cuff.

I'm wondering if I should have the cuffs made thinker, say double the thinkness, or if the wrap around style cufflink might not be a better choice for this style cuff.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

Be well,

Demented

14. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

Tony, are you saying that with the links in, there's still space between the layers of cloth? If so, you're going to have the same effect with any French-cuffed shirt. If your links are connected by a chain, you can have a jeweler remove one or two links to make them shorter.

My personal preference is to leave a little bit of space there anyway, just as a stylistic thing. Demonstrated here by Kabbaz at the SE event:

[​IMG]