• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are the stereotypes of New Jersey people?

Mblova

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RyJ Maduro
South Jersey, save the Piney-folk, has some very nice areas.

Monmouth County is the nicest area that I spend considerable amounts of time in. Red Bank, Rumson, Monmouth Beach, Sea Bright, and the revitalized areas of Long Branch all have their strong points.

Monmouth county is VERY wealthy in certain parts. But then again so is Central Jersey and North Jersey

Mblova

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
So are Rumson and Fair Haven SF-approved?

yup.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
100% of the people I know from Bergen County are awesome.
Gross. As much as people make fun of the "guidos", these folks can really make your skin crawl. Plus to get to the "nice" part of NJ, you still go through the awful areas. Greenwich/Darien/Westchester/Riverdale are not bad. And Long Island is pretty split up. People tend to refer to the neighborhoods they are from (Great Neck/Kings Point/Sands Point/Oyster Bay. Maybe it's a NY mentality, but we don't split NJ up like that.

gilwood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
What about the hooker murders?
confused.gif

This thread =
deadhorse-a.gif

Well, there's pretty much crime everywhere in the North East. I never said NJ was the greatest place in the world, I just didn't think that people from NJ deserved a stereotype from New Yorkers purely based upon where they lived.

Speaking of crime, I went camping in NJ on saturday and I saw a disgusting scene. Some guy was yelling at his wife/girlfriend near a hiking trail, then slapped her across the face and threw her onto the ground. She was crying histerically and crawled into their car. There was big commotion going on. It was hard to say what they were saying since they were all speaking spanish. I think the original couple was Dominican. I just noticed that when they slammed their trunk shut - sure enough NY license plates. I called the cops on the spot. Not sure what happened since I walked away afterwards. I can imagine any passer-bys thinking so this is what NJ is like...

Also Route 80 was packed with NY license plates on the way home. Last summer's camping trip I was up until 4am b/c the campgrounds were like a freaking club. You could feel the bass in your chest. I finally gave up, packed up and drove home. The offenders were none other than NY'ers.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hear Satan himself is a NYer

For someone who vows to fight stereotypes, every single post of yours is rife with ridiculous stereotypes of NYC and NYers.
facepalm.gif
deadhorse-a.gif

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gilwood
Well, there's pretty much crime everywhere in the North East. I never said NJ was the greatest place in the world, I just didn't think that people from NJ deserved a stereotype from New Yorkers purely based upon where they lived....

rolleyes.gif
I know there is crime everywhere. I was just poking fun at your choice of Egg Harbor given the infamous hooker serial killer episode of a few years back.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was talking to some chick at a NY bar last night and I mentioned that I lived in New Jersey. She said that she wouldn't hold that against me and that I should feel lucky for that. I said thank you in a patronizing way, but I think she didn't pick up on that.

This thread also brings some of the hate to light:
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ey#post2262736

I didn't even realize that Governor Patterson hated New Jersey until I saw that hilarious SNL skit with Fred Armisen. I understand the Guido stereotype, but I think more guidos are from Long Island (Strong Island), Staten island, Bronx, etc. Overall, it appears there's a stereotype that the state is low-class, yet Princeton is one of the classiest places in the country. Morris County is also the richest county in the country. It's true there are many, many rude people in NJ. But I found that most of these people are out of towners that moved in and are bored with all the sudden free time they have. I've had many encounters with these people.

I find NJ to be ridiculously convenient. I for one live 12 minutes from work and have a 27 hole golf course across the street from my job. I wake up at 8:00 get to work at 8:30, I get out of work at 5:00 and tee off at 5:10. Other days, I play softball, etc. I also only pay about $1300 for rent in my one bedroom, but I feed ducks, rabbits, and deers from my deck which overlooks a lake. I also park right in front of my door at any time. There's plenty of parking for anyone. You can own 5 cars here with no problem. The funny thing is, I'm 12 miles from NYC and usually can go from my front door to being parked most places in NY in 30 minutes. I almost always beat my friends THAT LIVE in NY to any event , which is strange.

Actually, because of the incredible diversity of NJ, there is a wealth of great, cheap restaurants from all over the world. But you do have to trial a lot of these places to find those hidden gems. I know of several great thai, malaysian, columbian, ethiopian spots here. I'm pretty used to paying $10 for an entree and $3 for a beer.

There is some stinky areas near secaucus, but I can't understand how NYers can complain because they are sitting in apartments over streets that are in bumper to bumper traffic all day long. There are literally breathing exhaust a good part of the day.

The funny thing about that NY residing chick I met is that she went on and on about how intelligent she was. She also claimed that she was the VP of a bank. When I asked how Sarbane Oxley is affecting her, she didn't know what that was. When I asked her if she had been to a hot spot in NY, she responded "What do you think? I live in NY!". Later, she admitted that she hadn't been there. It seems like she was putting a lot of time and effort into her social status appearances.

Y'know, overall, I hate to defend NJ. It's not that great of a place. I just find it be pretty much like any other suburb of NY. I don't think it's worse or better than Queens or Westchester. There are good and bad points. Like any suburb, most of the intelligent people will move into the city center (Manhattan) and leave the outskirts with the leftovers. Later, they might move back after they get married to have a lawn to play with their kids on. Manhattaners do appear to be more ambitious than suburbians. Opinions?

For some reason, this post reminded me of The Catcher in the Rye. I think it was the last paragraph that did it for me.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Jersey's a microcosm of the North East as a whole. There are some ****** areas (Newark, Secaucus, Camden-how can we forget Camden), there are some mediocre areas (Edison, Woodbridge, Warren Co., Cape May) and there are some great areas (Bergen Co -Sopranos country, Deil Beach, Hoboken). There's a little of everything.

I think what most people think about NJ, is that its a giant suburb, the North to NYC and the South to Philly, and most people from there have an inferiority complex about it (like taking what a girl from Manhattan says to you at a bar and creating a thread about it).

All in all its an OK place and has lots of diversity...Valencia is a Portuguese restaurant in Elizabeth (not so nice area) that is GREAT...on Monroe St...and you of course have the diners and the malls (I like Garden State Plaza, Short Hills is too snobby for me). You can find lots of stuff there. The one thing I do hate is that to get ANYWHERE in Jersey you need to get in your car. I rarely have to drive when trapsing around Brooklyn or Manhattan...

One bonus, all the Staten Islanders that hit your beaches in the summer...we get them back, you don't. So keep yer head up, and see the glass as half full!
smile.gif

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Funny you should say that - JD Salinger was a famous New Yorker...

Yeah, but Holden Caulfield was pretty much a sniveling dickhead.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RyJ Maduro
South Jersey, save the Piney-folk, has some very nice areas.

Monmouth County is the nicest area that I spend considerable amounts of time in. Red Bank, Rumson, Monmouth Beach, Sea Bright, and the revitalized areas of Long Branch all have their strong points.

That isn't south jersey, that is the shore

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also most people fly into newark, think that is what NJ is like and then say it is horrible.

Or they drive on the turnpike and smell the trash, and then think all of NJ is like that.

NJ is the best state, close access to two major cities (NYC and Philadelphia), mountains, beautiful countryside, beaches, cities, lots of great eating, etc etc

wouldn't want to move elsewhere

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Yeah, but Holden Caulfield was pretty much a sniveling dickhead.

+1000

I'm pretty sure Gilwood has never been to New York- when he started talking about supermodels all over the place walking next to dogshit and vomit, I had had one stereotype too many.

gilwood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
most people from there have an inferiority complex about it (like taking what a girl from Manhattan says to you at a bar and creating a thread about it).

I'm just bitter about getting shot down from friday night. Blow to my ego, y'know
blush.gif

I felt better after sunday and by friday night, I'll be raring to go out to my favorite area to pick up chicks - NY!
devil.gif

NJ chicks are too family oriented and mostly are just looking for boyfriends.
tinfoil.gif

To be honest, it's been a long time since I read catcher in the rye (highschool!), but if he was a guy that made himself into a victim and blamed the world for his problems, then yeah, that's me - lol.

gilwood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by origenesprit
I'm pretty sure Gilwood has never been to New York- when he started talking about supermodels all over the place walking next to dogshit and vomit, I had had one stereotype too many.

You must be joking right? one word: Meat market.

Oh yeah, I get shot down there all the time too.
facepalm.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads