• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are the rules on wearing odd trousers that have texture/weight/substance (e.g., tweed, flannels

iamfrench

Reaction score
Hi!

So I work in academia and I don't need to wear a suit and most days I don't even wear a jacket (but like a true academic, when I do, I wear a tweed jacket). I'm looking to have some pants made but I don't want the typical shiny type trousers you see for sale in Brooks Brothers or elsewhere. Usually they are called "slacks". This style of trousers reminds me of car salesmen in cheap suits. e.g. http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Count...dwvar_279J_Color=TAUP&contentpos=35&cgid=0219

I like trousers with texture that can be worn with a jacket or a dress shirt (or even a t shirt) with grace. I work in NYC so I don't mind the extra warmth of a tweed or flannel fabric. But from the few people I've asked, it is a faux pas to have tweed trousers. But I have seen some flannels that were recommended and they look an awfully lot like tweed (in the sense of its "substance"/texture/weight)? So, what fabrics should I be looking for without committing a gross sartorial mistake?

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Twills and flannels go really well as trousers with more casual jacketing fabrics like tweed. If you live in a warmer climate, lighter-weight flannels (10 oz) or so will still be comfortable for most of the traditional academic year. If you're like me and live in the North, 10-11 oz for early fall/late spring and something heavier for November-February is a good idea. "Safe" color are greys and tans/browns, with the lighter end of the spectrum being easier to pair with most jackets.

Tweed trousers are fine stylistically, BTW, but they have a (somewhat justified) reputation for being itchy and a bit stiff.

You're in good company. Lots of academics here, and some of them even manage to be well-dressed.

Check out the thread Claghorn mentioned above and, if you end up wanting to theory-craft about combinations, @TweedyProf ' s thread here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/428478/classic-menswear-lounge.

Last edited:

iamfrench

Reaction score
wow, this is brilliant, thank you so much for the info, especially from @heldentenor . ther'es a lot to go through and i need to place some orders at luxire.com in the next day as i am short on winter clothes and it is getting cold. when it comes to colors for flannels and tweeds, are there any you wouldn't recommend for odd trousers? i know you can be more adventurous with colorful sports jackets. but i really like colors (the farther away from boring brown, black and grey the better!). What about checks or houndstooth designs, are they okay in those trousers? e.g., http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harris-Twee...hash=item566d2692ce:m:m-VWjAxJZbT7GhK-ZZMdCYA

this fabric is not a tweed, but i am not sure what kind it is. but from what i can tell, it has "substance"...any ideas? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Holland-and...385802?hash=item1a1cbe56ca:g:6JQAAOSw4shX67Mr

lastly, i absolutely love this blue, is there any chance this would be appropriate for any type of clothing item (even a scarf maybe?)...i assume it is too flamboyant?? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harris-Twee...74cfbf5&pid=100033&rk=3&rkt=8&sd=262667883272

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads