• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are the rules for matching pocket square materials & patterns to suits & ties?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I was trolling in B&S and happened into Chorse's pocket square sale thread. I realized that I had absolutely no idea what I would need, or want (since I don't even own a suit or jacket at the moment), when it comes to pocket squares. I know that nothing is set in stone, except Manton's 4 pattern rule, but if someone could lay out a few guidelines I'd be very appreciative.

Some fake examples: No linen with wool suits, no silk with tweed, no solid colors with striped ties, etc., etc..

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spend time sifting through the WAYWRN thread. These members are masters of dressing.
One possible guidline would be to have the pocket square contrast yet compliment the suit and tie.
A pocket square's dominate colours would work best against the accent colours of either suit or tie.
This may not always work, but it is one way to begin matching.

One practice is to achieve what catches the eye over what assaults the senses.
Even a plain square can add just the subtle touch needed to excite the eye.
Personality also plays a factor as to where you will go with a look,
whether it is the quiet studied look, whimsical, flamboyant or utterly outrageous.
It's your call but try to keep it appropriate for your surroundings.
Or wear a quiet PS for work and a crazy one for the evening.

VictorJB

Reaction score
Well if you dont own a jacket or a suit there is nothing to really worry about unless your going to be extra stylish and use a pocket square as a handkerchief. But you have the basics down and theres not much more to get into than that. You just need a suit pair it with a shirt and tie and then with that picture in your head buy a pocket square accordingly. You have the basics down !!

word

Reaction score
I was wondering this too. Looking at squares on tie bar and going "so should there be a method to picking out a few or just wing it and get ones that I like?"

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Some fake examples: No linen with wool suits, no silk with tweed, no solid colors with striped ties, etc., etc..

How about "dry/rough" goes with "wet/smooth"?
eg. shiny silk square with a dry tweed, or dry linen square with a dressy worsted, smooth cotton square with rough linen jacket.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think it's best when one is a natural at dressing ... and doesn't have to give it much thought.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
White linen pocket square with everything.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question: Is it fair to say that if the shirt and tie are conservative then wear a louder pocket square and vice versa. In other words, should the suit only have one focal point or is it really a just a matter of matching?

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
White linen pocket square with everything.

This.
I don't like using linen squares in the winter though.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
I was trolling in B&S and happened into Chorse's pocket square sale thread. I realized that I had absolutely no idea what I would need, or want (since I don't even own a suit or jacket at the moment), when it comes to pocket squares. I know that nothing is set in stone, except Manton's 4 pattern rule, but if someone could lay out a few guidelines I'd be very appreciative.

Originally Posted by edmorel
look what you started
plain.gif

I think in the three years since Rambo posted this, he has figured out the pocket square situation. If not, then nothing that can be posted at this point would help.

Just spend 10 minutes looking for the PS sale thread before realizing that it is 3 years old
facepalm.gif

Mr Preppy Guy

Reaction score
Hi I'm having problems on picking a pocket square for college grad. I will be wearing a dark gray suit, pink shirt, and tartan tie (navy blue is the dominant color, and with baby blue, pink, gray and white stripes). Should pocket square should be matched with your dress or tie?

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Should pocket square should be matched with your dress or tie?

No. Without actually seeing the items in question it's hard to say, and it will depend on the shade you pick, but I think a green pocket square could do wonders for you in this situation.

clapeyron

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I usually pair my PS colour to the colour of my shirt if I want to try something less boring I go to this site and go nuts with the "compliment" option:

http://colorschemedesigner.com/

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads