• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are the odds?

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I just accidentally reset someone's password at llbean.com
devil.gif

It wasn't intentional - I thought I already had a log-in under Bradford, but when it didn't accept my password, I went to the "forgot your password" option and answered the security question - apparently both our mothers had the same maiden name.

I changed the password and - bam - I'm looking at information for some guy in Texas named J.W. Bradford.

Luckily, the system deletes credit card information when this happens, so I feel secure about my stuff. But, boy, this guy is going to wonder what happened the next time he tries to buy something from the site.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
i think you should probably email him Brad, let him know.

Or call him. Or drop by for a visit. Hell, youve got all the details.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you buy from LLBean?

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
A similar thing happened with a Blackberry my wife bought for me from ebay. I got e-mails for a user with the same first initial and surname. None of the messages registered with me until a female (no relation, apparently) in his life spilled her guts out to him in what appeared to be a very lengthy message, and I decided I had better get the cellular company involved to fix the situation.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
I just accidentally reset someone's password at llbean.com
devil.gif

It wasn't intentional - I thought I already had a log-in under Bradford, but when it didn't accept my password, I went to the "forgot your password" option and answered the security question - apparently both our mothers had the same maiden name.

I changed the password and - bam - I'm looking at information for some guy in Texas named J.W. Bradford.

Luckily, the system deletes credit card information when this happens, so I feel secure about my stuff. But, boy, this guy is going to wonder what happened the next time he tries to buy something from the site.

I dunno... I'd get LLBean to look into it. The odds of two people with the same login name having mothers with identical maiden names...? I wouldn't be too sure something funky didn't happen with their password database.

ATM

Reaction score
Are you sure you're not leading a double life?

fight-club-rules-4004519.jpg

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quirk
I dunno... I'd get LLBean to look into it. The odds of two people with the same login name having mothers with identical maiden names...? I wouldn't be too sure something funky didn't happen with their password database.

I think what Bradford is saying is that he mistakenly used the wrong login (he thought his Bean login was "Bradford" when, instead, it's something else). Thus, he tried to use the login name "Bradford" combined with his password, was told his password was incorrect, and was asked to supply his mother's maiden name to get his correct password. It turns out that his mother's maiden name is the same as the person with the LL Bean login of "Bradford", which is how he got access to "Bradford's" account.

Am I right? Do I win?

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBZ
I think what Bradford is saying is that he mistakenly used the wrong login (he thought his Bean login was "Bradford" when, instead, it's something else). Thus, he tried to use the login name "Bradford" combined with his password, was told his password was incorrect, and was asked to supply his mother's maiden name to get his correct password. It turns out that his mother's maiden name is the same as the person with the LL Bean login of "Bradford", which is how he got access to "Bradford's" account.

Am I right? Do I win?

Then it's even more bizarre. It's conceivable that two people in the AOL database might happen to share both a first name AND identical mother's maiden names, because that's a huge database. But the llbean.com database?

On the other hand, Prob/Stats was the bane of my existence in college, so it's quite possible I'm underestimating the likelihood.
tounge.gif

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had the identical experience once while on eBay. I had mistakenly logged in using an _underscore_ in my user name rather than a -dash-. When my password wouldn't work, I answered the favorite sports team question and BAM!! I was in. It wasn't until after I'd made the purchase and noticed the shipping address was in Minneapolis that I realized what had happened. I tracked the guy down (I think using the phone number tied to his shipping address IIRC) and explained the situation to him. He was very, very weirded out. Made perfect sense to me as it happened, but when I stopped to think about it for a bit, it weirded me out as well.

But you should track him down Bradford.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
I had the identical experience once while on eBay. I had mistakenly logged in using an _underscore_ in my user name rather than a -dash-. When my password wouldn't work, I answered the favorite sports team question and BAM!! I was in.

Well, that's not surprising at all. Anyone in their right mind is a Yankees fan. How can any system seriously use that question as part of their security mechanism?
rolleyes.gif

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quirk
Well, that's not surprising at all. Anyone in their right mind is a Yankees fan. How can any system seriously use that question as part of their security mechanism?
rolleyes.gif

Yankees fan, huh? You've seemed so nice up until now.
smile.gif

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBZ

Am I right? Do I win?

Yes - you have it exactly correct.

And I should point out that while Bradford is actually my first name, in his case it was his last name. And - yes, apparently our mother's had the same maiden name - which, while not Smith or Jones, is not all that uncommon a name either.

alflauren

Reaction score
Weird. I've also had an interesting experience with LLBean. My grandfather and I have the exact same name - first, middle, and last. I order stuff online, and he buys stuff over the telephone.

One day, I started receiving emails with all of his order information. Some CS rep probably added my email to his account when they saw that he didn't have an email address.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads