• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what are the most intimidating circumstances under which you've approached a girl?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This girl at school has caught my eye recently, and I'm pretty sure there's mutual attraction. I'm generally not shy when it comes to girls, but the problem is that the only time I ever see her she's with 5-6 friends (even split between male and female). Now I know that if I'm going to get the girl to go out with me I don't have a choice but to go over and somehow introduce myself, but I'm not quite sure as to how I'm going to go about it. I've only seen her a couple of times and she's not in any of my classes.

So what do you guys think is the best approach in a situation like that? Do you just introduce yourself and start talking to her in front of all her friends? Or do you try and pull her away somehow? I know that the second I walk away I'm going to be dissected, and I may have to compete with a little male jealousy among her "friends" (cause when is a guy that's friends with a gorgeous girl never interested in more?). I'm thinking there's very little margin for error here. I need some opinions cause I can't get any serious answers from my RL friends! They all say do this, do that, and when I ask them if they'd really do the things they're advising, they all say "Hell, no!"

Anyone ever have a similar problem? Did you wuss-out or do something about it?

Vaclav

Reaction score
You should make her a mix tape, and put it somewhere she'll discover.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vaclav
You should make her a mix tape, and put it somewhere she'll discover.

You're quite funny every once in a while!

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well besides Vaclav's idea your life is going to be difficult if you want to pursue this girl. The best I can think of is next time you run into her stop about 10 ft away (preferably near a corner) and make eye contact with her. Shout something like "Hey you! Yes, the pretty one! Over here!" and when she walks over lead her around the corner so you're out of sight of her friends. Then say something like "I've noticed you around and I was wondering if we could chat around some coffee some day. Here's my e-mail" and go from there. Godspeed.

A.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
i guess you could retain a safe distance, sit there and read a book or something, keep an eye on her until she separates from her friends and then go up and introduce yourself.

Surely theyve gotta separate eventually, maybe then you can accidentally bump into her by the book return chute at the library or something mundane like that.

I wouldnt advise letting that method drag on too long though...chicks dont seem to like it when you sit quietly outside their windows and stare at them for days on end

Oddly Familiar

Reaction score
At a concert a while ago, I caught a girl just staring at me. Later on, between sets, she was with a group of friends, and I looked at her, kind of smiled and then did the come here thing with nmy hand. She came over, and we hit it off. We dated for 3 months, and she always said what she liked most about me was being brave enough to introduce myself to her like that.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Chick I'm seeing I met at school, I have to go to this night concert for music class, and the parking garage was jam-packed cus all the old people tend to attend. So I parked at the top of the parking garage, and started to dash towards the stairs, almost towards he door of the stairwell I see this chick coming out trying to balance a book on her head.

But it kept on falling off. We made eye contact, she smiled I smiled back, but I kept on walking towards the door. Then a voice in my head went "*******, what's the worse that could happen?" so I stopped right as I hit the stairwell door and went back in her direction and said: "I have to go to a concert, but would you like to go to lunch sometime?" and she sort of blushed and said yes.

Now, if you want I can tell you rejection stories...(sigh)

Jon.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OF, that's what a friend told me to do, but then when I asked if he'd actually do that he said "hell,no." I'm wary to try something like that cause I think it would depend a lot on the girl as to whether or not she went for it. Some might be like "**** that, if he wants to talk to me he can come here!"

I'm thinking i'm just gonna have to get up the nerve to go up to their little group and say something like "what's up guys, mind if i steal her for a sec?" Either way, crossing the 20ft from the path to where they sit is gonna suck!

And if I don't get the nerve to do that, I guess I'll just make her a mix tape~

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
OF, that's what a friend told me to do, but then when I asked if he'd actually do that he said "hell,no." I'm wary to try something like that cause I think it would depend a lot on the girl as to whether or not she went for it. Some might be like "**** that, if he wants to talk to me he can come here!"

I'm thinking i'm just gonna have to get up the nerve to go up to their little group and say something like "what's up guys, mind if i steal her for a sec?" Either way, crossing the 20ft from the path to where they sit is gonna suck!

At worse, she will say no and you will feel ****** for 2-3 days, tops, and then you'll move on. I know a lot of girls that want a man to go up and talk to them, that alone is half the battle. Thus: Try it!

Jon.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
This girl at school has caught my eye recently, and I'm pretty sure there's mutual attraction. I'm generally not shy when it comes to girls, but the problem is that the only time I ever see her she's with 5-6 friends (even split between male and female). Now I know that if I'm going to get the girl to go out with me I don't have a choice but to go over and somehow introduce myself, but I'm not quite sure as to how I'm going to go about it. I've only seen her a couple of times and she's not in any of my classes.

So what do you guys think is the best approach in a situation like that? Do you just introduce yourself and start talking to her in front of all her friends? Or do you try and pull her away somehow? I know that the second I walk away I'm going to be dissected, and I may have to compete with a little male jealousy among her "friends" (cause when is a guy that's friends with a gorgeous girl never interested in more?). I'm thinking there's very little margin for error here. I need some opinions cause I can't get any serious answers from my RL friends! They all say do this, do that, and when I ask them if they'd really do the things they're advising, they all say "Hell, no!"

Anyone ever have a similar problem? Did you wuss-out or do something about it?

One of the most common complain girls in Quebec have is that they don't have many men taking a direct approach to flirting and picking them up so go for it. If you're more of the sneaky type just look at her circle of friends and find somebody there you can approach because they have a class with you or something then use that opportunity to join their conversation.

If she's really pretty just get on your knees and ask her for marriage, say you'll never have a chance to marry such a pretty girl so even though those are not some optimal conditions you chose to take a chance. Only works if you're really verbose and can do mock seriousness very well.

sam

Reaction score
1. Introduce yourself to one of the guys in the group. Talk about sports or whatever. You're a cool guy, he will like you.
2. Say, "hey, who are your friends?" or better yet, "hey, I think your friend over there is cute. Can you introduce me?"
3. Chat up girl, get #.
4. Go home a champion.

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
I think you should find something on her that you think is unique and ask a question about it. Like: Hi, I notice that awesome bracelet you have on.

i definitely agree with this as long as you're not creepy about it. a nice boy at a party once told me he liked my belt while we were in the kitchen. that was cute.

one time when i was 17 and in the grocery store parking lot some man that was well over 40 did the "do i know you from somewhere?" thing and i was marsupialed and thought he actually might know my parents or something but then busted out a 'wanna go for coffee' and i subsequently wanted to vomit and told him i had a boyfriend and hurried off. that was NOT cute.

good luck!

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Oddly Familiar
At a concert a while ago, I caught a girl just staring at me. Later on, between sets, she was with a group of friends, and I looked at her, kind of smiled and then did the come here thing with nmy hand. She came over, and we hit it off. We dated for 3 months, and she always said what she liked most about me was being brave enough to introduce myself to her like that.
Vaclav wants his commas back.

Oddly Familiar

Reaction score

Well, in high school girls like the over confident cocky guy.

And, Atleast I try to use correct grammar, Kent.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Similar situation has occurred for me. Thing is that you need to remember that even the slightest thing can be an excuse to start a conversation.

I once started talking to a girl in a very similar situation because I asked to borrow a highlighter from her in the library. I ended up not really liking her, but you understand the point I am making.

Sit down next to her at the computer lab, if she's in the same class as you- ask for the assignment. Whatever-- just make contact and be charming once you make that contact.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics