What are the most durable suit fabrics?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Qelsem, Sep 2, 2009.

1. a tailor

a tailor Senior member Dubiously Honored

Steel wool

its itchy.

2. a tailor

Wool worsted 100s are fine for year round office suits.

no higher than that if it is to last a long time.

3. a tailor

Gabardine is meant to be quite hard wearing isn't it?

yes it lasts a long time. but it shines faster than all the others.

4. a tailor

Not really. It's also uncomfortable. Durable is a very tricky word because so much depends not only on the qualities of the cloth but how they're prepared by the tailor, sewed together and fitted, cleaned, stored cared for etc... It is not unheard of for a "delicate" fabric well tailored and cared for to outlast a "hardy" fabric treated badly.

In my experiences the mere fact that someone is concerned about durability is a mental stumbling block to enjoying clothes. Frankly, when you get a fabric from the better English wool merchants it is more likely that you will grow weary of the garment than wear it out.

true, but not a rule.

5. a tailor

Free-riding on this thread, I've had problems with some of my suit pants, which have tended to wear out relatively quickly in the crotch (presumably due to the constant rubbing of muscular (read: fat) thighs). The tailors I frequent have remedied this, somewhat, by inserting a crotch piece, but I wonder if there are any year-round fabrics that forumites might recommend that are hardy enough to obviate the need for a crotch piece?

for more information go to ask andy. click on search and ask for "inseam damage". it may help you.

6. Qelsem

Qelsem Active Member

Thank you so much for the many answers, gentlemen. My quest for a durable suit fabric is mostly due to the fact of being a real scrooge when it comes to clothing. In addition, I may never again get the chance to acquire a bespoke suit with no cost except for fabrics. This is a sponsorship deal, as I will be writing a long article and mention the tailor in it.

I've been thrifting for many years now, as I've very limited income and enjoy the chase for superb clothing among the piles of thrash. What I've learned during my many trips is that most modern suit fabrics last only a few years in mint condition. Most of the suits I see are but two to three years old, and already show unpleasant sheening and even tears. The older the suit is, the more likely its fabric is thick and in very good condition. Everyone who's inherited an old family dinner jacket, suit or similar clothing, knows that coarser and thicker fabrics last longer.

Based on your answers, I believe I'll be selecting an English worsted wool weighing about 250-300 grams and in super 80 to 100 quality. Plain rough twill finish, single colour. This seems to be among the most durable suit fabrics for year-round use.

Again, thanks, but not to the ones posting short stingy answers. The answers on AAAC forum were much more to the point.

7. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Has anyone had a quality 8-10oz fabric suit, in a high super's, disintegrate on them after a few wearings?

Yes. Lora Piana . . . never again.

8. Don Carlos

Don Carlos In Time Out

super 1000's
    You know, at that point you might as well go Super 2000s. As a big timer myself, I buy a brand-new Super 2000s suit every week. It falls apart about an hour after putting it on -- but that's plenty of time to bed a supermodel anyhow. The suit has done its job by the time it dissolves into a river of its own awesomeness.

9. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Yes. Lora Piana . . . never again.

there are tons of LP fabric suits, even cheaply made ones, that I see going strong after many years. You just seem to have bad luck with everything other than Rubinacci.

10. Don Carlos

Don Carlos In Time Out

I've had pretty crappy luck with LP, too, actually. Except for one overcoat, oddly enough. The suits wear down in the 'bows like it's their job. But the coats are nice.

11. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

I've had pretty crappy luck with LP, too, actually. Except for one overcoat, oddly enough. The suits wear down in the 'bows like it's their job. But the coats are nice.

I don't want to turn this into a LP criminal defense trial as I really don't care. LP is a huge company that makes a ton of cloth in various quality levels. You can find their stuff from crappy JCrew clothing (chinese cashmere) to uber expensive stuff.

12. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

there are tons of LP fabric suits, even cheaply made ones, that I see going strong after many years. You just seem to have bad luck with everything other than Rubinacci.

You asked if anyone ever had problems with a super worsted wearing out. I did. It came out of a swatch book at Oxxford, so I assume it was not a cheap or low-end cloth. It is the only cloth I've had trouble with--regardless of the suit's maker. After four or five wearings, pulls began appearing.

13. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

You asked if anyone ever had problems with a super worsted wearing out. I did. It came out of a swatch book at Oxxford, so I assume it was not a cheap or low-end cloth. It is the only cloth I've had trouble with--regardless of the suit's maker. After four or five wearings, pulls began appearing.

When Mariano touched it, however, the pulls disappeared and the suit was imprinted with a negative image of the Christ. That's why foo can't wear it anymore. [/cheapshot]

14. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!