• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are the greatest menswear brands of all time?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

he's saying that all those brands have already been mentioned, and yes, they're on the list.

Yes, but let's be serious: of 320 posts in this thread, roughly 230 of them mention RL directly or indirectly. Next, Hugo Boss was mentioned as well. Third, on SF, you don't mention Kenneth Cole unless you are trolling or trying to be cute, just like Men's Wearhouse isn't on the list. Finally, you don't put them all in separate posts. While I try to be "welcoming" as possible, on the other hand if you didn't bother to read ANY of the previous posts, then it's safe to assume coming in at post 321 with a stream of 2-word posts is hardly a good idea.

If he serious thinks KC should be on the list, I'm all for reading it. But, some of us have put in too much time/effort while we should be working that it's unfair just to have some random folk coming in with fly-bys probably meant to derail or cause arguments.

KC has never been a serious designer; he started off with shoes to make $$$ by posting a caravan or something on the street because a license was expensive. A bunch of people bought them and he went from there. He was never innovative in shoemaking, nor in men's design, except perhaps for some quick trends for the lower market. If we're going with "mass market" brands, then Gap or any of the other dozen listed should be there sooner.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rach, you said HB was mentioned, and it was. i dont recall hearing your opinion it. care to share/elaborate?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

rach, you said HB was mentioned, and it was. i dont recall hearing your opinion it. care to share/elaborate?

Unfortunately, I don't really know enough about HB to comment. I've had a few pieces here and there, but nothing that was picked up because I knew or wanted the style; I think I had a green polo shirt because I liked green, and one suit picked up in college that was a decent Columbo fabric, that I never wore.

While on the one hand it helped to define the 80's/90's "boxy" silhouette, on the other hand I can't say whether it was the originator of that style or if they simply copied trends from Mugler, ferre, or Helmut Lang, who were (in the case of the former two) doing big, structured, and boxy throughout the 80's, or the latter, who was doing a slimmer more "mod" boxy through the 1990's.

They certainly made a lot of money and are very well known, but again I can't say why, how, or where. I honestly think of them as an expensive Men's Wearhouse, meaning mass market but for a client who is willing to spend more $$$ without really knowing much about suits. Unlike RL, I don't really get any "image" or aesthetic from HB, but again their history may be different than the post 1990's ideas I have of them.

Last edited:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Without taking reach, impact, and legacy into account, how else are you going to value a "brand"?

I could understand if you are trying to argue that KC does not belong to #menswear, but excluding KC just because its 'mass market' or 'low quality' just doesn't make much sense. Or maybe we should exclude all "brands" mentioned in rap videos.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If he serious thinks KC should be on the list, I'm all for reading it. But, some of us have put in too much time/effort while we should be working that it's unfair just to have some random folk coming in with fly-bys probably meant to derail or cause arguments.

:nodding: indeed.

the standard for non-serious posts has been raised:

just want to cover a couple welts hendrix missed,
xknmhd.jpg

24mdjc4.jpg

woz5.jpg

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Without taking reach, impact, and legacy into account, how else are you going to value a "brand"?

I could understand if you are trying to argue that KC does not belong to #menswear, but excluding KC just because its 'mass market' or 'low quality' just doesn't make much sense.  Or maybe we should exclude all "brands" mentioned in rap videos.

We went through all of this pages and pages ago. Have you even bothered to read anything in the thread? What do you think we were doing on posts 2-320 before you came on, playing Canasta?

Last edited:

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
let's not make this CE though.

peace, love and new socks for all (seriously the most enjoyable clothing purchase ever, don't even start talking about your $700 versace shirt, you know I'm right here).

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

peace, love and new socks for all (seriously the most enjoyable clothing purchase ever, don't even start talking about your $700 versace shirt, you know I'm right here).

I'm being facetious, of course, but I can sniff through "didn't do his homework" pretty quick. I just wish that before posting people would read the contributions and hard work of their fellow posters. Otherwise, it's selfish and pointless and the thread DOES turn into a CE echo chamber. We (including you!) went through a few dozen really excellent discussions about what criteria to include, which addressed all of the concerns he mentioned. Why is it our responsibility to back through them and re-hash points that were already made?

And as Spoo can tell you, honey, $700 for Versace is SMALL TIMER. Unless you were in the silk shirts that were $1200 in 1989 dollars, you weren't in nuthin' (haha)

Anyway, there may be a few latecoming stragglers with some good additions from here, but I think we've got a pretty good list, some good explanation why they should be on the list... at least enough for the OP to write up a pretty good article. I, personally, have learned a lot about a lot of makers/brands I didn't really appreciate before (Brioni or Barbera, for example). Thanks for the good read and fun, fellas.

Last edited:

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think CP company could be higher up Fok's list. Pretty influential in the way most people dress. Isn't the graphic tshirt attributable to Osti?

I also hypothesise that his clothing legitimised sportswear as an acceptable choice for casualwear.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They certainly made a lot of money and are very well known, but again I can't say why, how, or where. I honestly think of them as an expensive Men's Wearhouse, meaning mass market but for a client who is willing to spend more $$$ without really knowing much about suits. Unlike RL, I don't really get any "image" or aesthetic from HB, but again their history may be different than the post 1990's ideas I have of them.

this too, is my impression. especially the bold. i think the ratcheted up the "quality" just enough, to gouge the public.

:nodding: indeed.
the standard for non-serious posts has been raised:

amazing.

no, srs, i LOVE new socks. socks are always best when brand new.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm being facetious, of course, but I can sniff through "didn't do his homework" pretty quick. I just wish that before posting people would read the contributions and hard work of their fellow posters. Otherwise, it's selfish and pointless and the thread DOES turn into a CE echo chamber. We (including you!) went through a few dozen really excellent discussions about what criteria to include, which addressed all of the concerns he mentioned. Why is it our responsibility to back through them and re-hash points that were already made?
And as Spoo can tell you, honey, $700 for Versace is SMALL TIMER. Unless you were in the silk shirts that were $1200 in 1989 dollars, you weren't in nuthin' (haha)
Anyway, there may be a few latecoming stragglers with some good additions from here, but I think we've got a pretty good list, some good explanation why they should be on the list... at least enough for the OP to write up a pretty good article. I, personally, have learned a lot about a lot of makers/brands I didn't really appreciate before (Brioni or Barbera, for example). Thanks for the good read and fun, fellas.

i may have skimmed some of the posts when i was playing catch-up. :(

also, i have very much enjoyed the discourse with you, as well. :cheers:

RapFan

Reaction score
I think different designers can make the list for different reasons. One may make the list for innovation, the other for setting a trend and the other for the strangle hold it seems to have on fashion.

Ralph Lauren - I noticed a lot of people saying he is not the most innovative. I disagree, the clothing he was coming out with in the early 90s was unmatched in terms of style. You can today purchase those same clothes, used, but for a far higher price (p-wings, ski jackets, cashmere sweaters with the teddy bear etc)

Calvin Klein
Tommy Hilfiger - love him or hate him, he is in the list
Armani
Burberry - trench coat./
JPG
Versace
Zegna - this is one of those brands that makes the list because of what they have done behind the scenes
YSL - colour blocking, who did it better?
Levis
Gap
abercrombie and fitch - hate them, don't own a thing of theirs but I gotta give it to them for their catalog years
Brioni
Hugo Boss - think of it as a young man's introduction to the club
Valentino - most influential ? no, but he can sew and made a name for himself based on his skill
Hermes
Gucci - the name, the history, the controversy, the Tom Ford era
Diesel - faded ripped jeans, were they the first? Probably not, but they took it to another level
Gant
Helmut Lang
Prada - black pants, black turtle neck with a black sling shot bag
Brooks Brothers - living in Canada, it was hard to imagine how much respect they garner, but I have learned
Yohji Yamamoto
Dior Homme
Alfred Sung - long forgotten, but he had his glory days no doubt
Daniel Hechter - RTW Godfather perhaps?
Jil Sander
Oxxfird
Kiton
Huntsman and sons
Gieves and Hawkes
hardy amies
Lacoste
GFF
Paul Smith
Cole Haan
Ferragammo

This list is in no order, and I did not reach 50 because its taking me too long to think and I gotta study lol, but go ahead and pick at it....and I wanted to add Perry Ellis to that list but hesitating

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads