• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are the greatest menswear brands of all time?

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I believe clothing came into the picture after Ralph's success with his neck tie store? His brother Jerry still runs neckwear for him I think.

The best menswear brand of all time is Polo.  None of these niche brands have much cred outside of SF. Polo runs the spectrum -- laymen to fashion expert. A heritage brand that does every facet of menswear good to great.

Timeless lifestyle heritage brand -- check
Luxury brand (RLPL) -- check
Fashion brand (RLBL) -- check
Classic brand (PRL) -- check
Western/street wear/work wear/vintage (RR) -- check
Young folks (Rugby)
High end footwear/accessories (Made in England/Italy/America) -- check
Mass brands -- check
Monster distribution -- check

Say Ralph is lacking innovation if you want, it's overshadowed by everything else. Plus, as mentioned, why does something have to be net new all the time?  Ralph's not reinventing the wheel here, he's doing classic menswear plus. The greatest brand must have sustainability, and we can all agree Ralph is able to reinvent his brands over and over. Not so much in regard to some of these "innovators" who become tied to their "innovations" that ultimately go out of style (Armani). Couple things would be around after a nuclear war... cockroaches and Ralph Lauren.

This is spot on... Polo / Ralph Lauren has to be #1 by a pretty clear margin

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the confusing subterranean region of menswear classification, I can understand how some people can despise Ralph Lauren as a brand. A common and reasonable complaint / dislike will no doubt revolve around aesthetic creativity and the corresponding brand image burned onto the retina and stored in the inner sanctum. They are not a brand for the non conformist or the individualist.

A clothing line in many a sense tells a story and the essence of a good collection is to captivate, entertain, and whisk oneself into that parallel world of fantasy. There is more to clothing than mere "look", "whimsy", "attitude" or "presenting oneself". One only has to look at Prada / Lanvin / Dior / YSL and see how their story unfolds season after season. Like a good movie, it intertwines numerous sub plots intricately to form a masterpiece. While Ralph Lauren are by no means a one trick pony, it is clear that season after season the story repeats over and over. Ralph Lauren do the basics well, but appear to be completely captured / bound by their own image engine.

To me they are nothing but a minor update on Brooks Brothers with a few more niche areas covered. That is not to say Brooks Brothers themselves are horribly one dimensional - an argument could be placed where Black Fleece holds a brighter torch of sartorial creativity than anything pumping out the Black Label and Purple Label lines.

From another viewpoint, if ones motive is to dress well in a casual American / Pseudo British style, I can think of few brands that nail this area quite like Ralph Lauren. However, for those that hang out in different circles, Ralph Lauren clothing may as well be skeet blanket material.

From my perspective: I dress conservatively 5 days a week for 10 hours a day. Given that this is a societal limitation imposed and not my pure free will, I do find that Ralph Lauren belongs in the upper echelons of menswear brands. Basically they are the best out there regarding copper bottomed semi classic menswear. Given a free reign however, I would gladly dump Ralph Lauren for something where artistic integrity rules over streamlined conformity

That said, we have to define menswear properly - is it mere clothing and economy of scale or does artistic merit have its virtuous place? If the former, Ralph Lauren are the greatest brand ever. If the latter, Ralph Lauren are a standardized and well drilled machine that can do only one function (albeit doing it well). Whatever the case, Ralph will continue to steamroller through the industry for the foreseeable future. They are a brand that splits opinion. From one perspective, genius. From another perspective, limited.

Last edited:

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Moving on to other brands: Norman Hilton and J Press

They were, and in some cases still are. the connoisseur of menswear for the Ivy and preppy near the NY/NJ area. They did not so much invent anything new, but rather were "Doing one thing well"

J Press has been a substantial success in Japan, to the point that a Japanese company now owns it.

Nick Hilton has been reviving his father's company, albeit a little slowly and not so obviously, www.normanhilton.com seems to be down now, but www.nickhilton.com is back up. You can call them up, or visit his shop, and get a suit/sport coat made for you. I suspect the website issues will be fixed eventually.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
klobber, well said. nice summation.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, good choice; amazing nobody in this thread yet came up with this one.
shog[1].gif

hugo boss.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

hugo boss.

kenneth cole

Don't just clog the thread with stupid crap. If you can't add to the discussion, just lurk. You're not being serious, so just knock it off. This has been one of the better threads and discussions we've had in a long time, so let's keep focused.

Last edited:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't just clog the thread with stupid crap. If you can't add to the discussion, just lurk. You're not being serious, so just knock it off. This has been one of the better threads and discussions we've had in a long time, so let's keep focused.

Okay. Then I really do not know any niche fashion subcultural 'brands'/'artists' that have questionable impact on menswear, aside from the ones already mentioned.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

whatever his intentions were (tho the RL joke was a good one), someone earlier (i think klobber) did mention hugo boss. i know HB is far from a sty fo darling, but from the aspects of a brand that may have made important lasting changes on menswear, are they to be considered?

my knee-jerk reaction is no, but i do not know a whole lot about their history, and what they have brought to the table. except that all the HB shirts i have owned, ripped in the elbow within a years time.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

he's saying that all those brands have already been mentioned, and yes, they're on the list.

wait, we have a "definitive" list? do you mean foks orignal one?

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

whatever his intentions were (tho the RL joke was a good one), someone earlier (i think klobber) did mention hugo boss. i know HB is far from a sty fo darling, but from the aspects of a brand that may have made important lasting changes on menswear, are they to be considered?
my knee-jerk reaction is no, but i do not know a whole lot about their history, and what they have brought to the table. except that all the HB shirts i have owned, ripped in the elbow within a years time.

What was mentioned before about HB was that it was what brought fused suits into the mainstream.

I don't really recognize that as a 'great' thing

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads