• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What are the differences between Saphir Beaute du Cuir and Medaille d'Or Renovateur creams

drsorter

Reaction score
Aside from the price, does anyone know the actual differences between the 2 lines - especially with Renovateur? A friend claims that the Medaille d'Or Renovateur ruined am expensive shoe by almost completely removing the color. I have a favorite pair of tan (or "walnut") Allen Edmonds that need a good leather reconditioning and I am worried that the color will be removed and do not want to go any darker to repair them.

Harwid

Reaction score
Go to Kirby Allison’s site and there are lots of detailed articles and videos on all of the Saphir products.

Jeff

Anachronist

Reaction score
Beauté de Cuir is water-based with bees‘ wax whereas Medaille d‘Or has solvents (I believe turpentine) and higher quality and harder natural waxes like Carnauba. Ultimately the latter, through the solvents and higher quality ingredients leads to a richer recoloring and better finish + shine, but yes, on cheaper shoes with spray-painted or otherwise inferior coloring can rub off the color.
I have both and personally prefer the Medaille d’Or also for its better protection on rainy days as the Beauté de Cuir appears to rub and wash off more easily.

notdos

Reaction score
If the leather is super dry, use Bick4 conditioner then your standard saphir wax polish.
If the leather is only moderately dry, use the saphir cream polish, then a layer of wax.
Renovateur is, in my opinion, much to harsh for anything other than a shoe that needs to be re-done.

Phillip

Featured Sponsor

When shopping for clothes do you (choose up to 2)

• Always return to the same brands/stores/websites

• Like to visit brick&mortar shops to see things in person

• Shop mainly online and take advantage of free returns

• Like to try new brands/stores/websites

• Shop mainly during the sales, regardless of the brand/store/website

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakes3131