1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

what are the best suits for under $200

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rickrone, Apr 30, 2013.

1. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

Wow. I'm surprised that this thread is still alive. Maybe it should be stickied to eliminate the need for 75% of the new threads that pop up.

2. johnvw

johnvw Senior member

Please allow me to join this discussion to make a well-intentioned comment. In addition to the advice the OP has received about checking e-Bay and suit labels such as BB and Hardwick (with which I am unfamiliar), cataan's recommendations are solid. I own several JAB Signature and 1 Sig. Gold suit (size 44S, btw), which I have had altered by the tailors at the JAB stores for minimal cost. Alterations came to under $100 each time, iirc. ($55 is a representative figure.) I think the alterations fees are standard at all JAB stores. I can't comment on the slim-fit suits, but the fit of each of mine is as good as could be expected for OTR suits. If the ~$200 figure is really a guideline/limitation for you, you may want to check out JAB Sig., Sig. Gold, and tailored fit suits on one of the frequent sales, in addition to the other recommendations on this thread.

Regarding your desire to "show off [your] socks a little," socks should not be visible when you are standing or walking, but you may already know that. :)

I have one question for cataan: Aren't you afraid of being forced off SF for making favorable comments about JAB?:)

Last edited: May 5, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. kirker

kirker Member

OP, let me put it this way: the first suit I ever bought, back in the early days of eBay, was a NWOT Brioni that the seller idiotically priced at $275 Buy It Now. I happened to stumble across the ad 30 minutes after posting and snapped it up immediately. Still have it to this day, even though its three-button look is now out of style (but will surely come back).

Point being: you're not going to find a bargain *that* good on eBay, at least not on Brioni, but that's not to say you won't for lesser but still nice brands. A friend bought a nice, late-model Zegna on eBay recently for $180 (their middle line - retails for $1,200 or so at Saks). Even slightly used, it is a HELL of a lot better than anything you'll find at Banana Republic -- or even versus the much-overhyped J. Crew Ludlow, which ain't exactly cheap at $700 for jacket and trousers.

If you want to hit the outlet stores to try to find something, good luck, but I'll note in advance that Nordstrom Rack is the only one that doesn't carry crap. All the big name outlets -- Off Fifth, Neiman's Last Call, Barneys, etc. -- sell crap produced specifically for their outlets, stuff that would NEVER see the light of day in a full-price store. Nordstrom Rack is the happy exception.

4. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

The sweet spot for your pant length is to have no break in the rear of the leg, but a little bit in front.

1 person likes this.
  5. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    If they do not fit you the way they should - and they are new suits purchased lately - then return them for a refund.

6. cataan

cataan Well-Known Member

JohnVW - ha, yes, Jos Bank is often demeaned in this forum, but it just shows ignorance because for an OTR suit the sig. and sig golds are very good buys when bought on sale. And I say that even though I own two custom-tailored suits that are of exquisite quality.

Rickrone - avoid no break for your pants. Avoid extremes like no break or lots of break by staying in the middle which simply looks good. If your socks show it looks like your pants are too short which you want to avoid. Alterations at Banks are very inexpensive - I think it's 12 bucks for sleeves, 12 for hemming trousers, not sure what waist suppression is but probably no more than 15. I wouldn't get anything major done but generally all you need is to shorten the sleeves a little, hem and cuff the pants, take in the jacket's waist a little. Shouldn't be more than 40 bucks for all of that. Note it really depends on the suit: I need all of that with a 38S but with a 37S the sleeves are perfect, the jacket's waist is perfect, I just get the pants hemmed.

1 person likes this.
  7. johnvw

johnvw Senior member

:fistbump:

8. David Reeves

David Reeves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

No, just no... You need to work more hours or something. There's no way anyone should be wearing a suit under $200 in the U.S.A theres no excuse for that, I mean I was in college 10 years ago and I spent more on suits than that and I was a bar back.

9. rickrone

rickrone Well-Known Member

lol, work more hours. the money isn't the issue, i just purchased a pair of allen edmonds fifth ave. I am looking for a good deal at the $200 price range, and not msrp of $200.
    I am not familiar with what is a good or bad brand, that is what my real question is. also what to look for in a good suit opposed to a bad suit.

10. johnvw

johnvw Senior member

Use the "Search" function on SF to locate threads dealing with details of how a suit should fit and search out pictures of ones that fit the wearer well and ones that don't. See what to look for to determine whether a suit fits well or not. Look for suits in stores in your area to see which labels offer styles and cuts that you like. If you find something you like, you may want to post pictures of you wearing it on SF (using current such pictures and feedback on them as a guide) to determine what features of the suit(s) and fit are OK and what should be changed. Having gotten this far, use the feedback you get and your own preferences to search e-Bay, thrift shops, stores, and online (including what is for sale on SF) for what is available in what you determine your price range to be.

I hope this helps. All the best in your quest!

11. rickrone

thank you, i am in the beginning of my journey to replace my whole wardrobe now that I am a big boy now :)

12. David Reeves

David Reeves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Ok good, your OP looked like you were talking about buying new. Buying secondhand is a much better idea and understandable at that price point.

13. Srben

Srben Well-Known Member

I've bought several JAB pieces, and thrifted several more. I thoroughly enjoy all of them.

14. Senorguapo713

Senorguapo713 New Member

Generally, Kenneth Cole suits are very well made for "off the rack" and you can find them for under 200. I suggest looking at K&G. They usually have a good selection.

15. MrG

MrG Senior member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home

Ruh roh.

16. cataan

cataan Well-Known Member

Let me add: at your price point focus on the product itself, not the name. You want:

1) 100% wool (if it has some small percent silk or cashmere okay but that will be more expensive)
    2) Thread count between 110 and 150 (lower than 110 is crap, higher than 150 is too delicate)
    3) Bemberg lining
    4) Fully or half canvased though this will be difficult to find at your price point (though I have picked up a couple JSB Sig Gold suits for $179 but that is rare); most likely you will be purchasing a fused suit.
    5) Ideally the weight of the wool would be around 9 ounces for year round wear that will hold up (the lighter the weight the more delicate the material).

Most likely you will have to ask about the above information. If customer service cannot help you then do not purchase from that store/seller. Ever.

2 people like this.
  17. div25sec9

div25sec9 Senior member

This thread is making my head spin. A guy who can afford more is wasting people's time discussing purchasing a cheap suit under $200? Unbelievable! $200 on a cheap suit is a wasted $200. Put that towards a decent one.

...and who's this 3 post guy piping in about how Kenneth Cole is good quality OTR?

18. johnvw

johnvw Senior member

:thumbs-up: :fistbump:

1 person likes this.
  19. johnvw

johnvw Senior member

+1. More good points to consider.

20. rickrone

cataan you are the MAN!!! thank you for being so helpful i really appreciate your help. i printed this out because this is going to be my new checklist, thank you.