• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what are the best suits for under $200

rickrone

Reaction score
Looking for a suit under $200, what are some good suits that fit this criteria?

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There are none.

You might get lucky with thrifting or eBay, but there are no even decent new suits at that price.

rickrone

Reaction score
what brands should i stick with? how many buttons? color? etc.....

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

what brands should i stick with? how many buttons? color? etc.....

As many as possible; you want to get your money's worth.

MisterFu

Reaction score
Okay, here is the deal: most here on SF, including myself, will tell you that the only "good" suits for under 200 will be those you find via thrift stores, SF classifieds and Ebay. Men's Wearhouse and Jos. A. Bank may have a sale that will work out to under 200 per suit, but it won't be anything anyone here would describe as good and, frankly the only way those suits will be serviceable is with another (minimum) 100 dollars worth of alterations.

With all that said, in the real world, people have budget constraints and 500-800 bucks for what an SF'er might consider a decent suit may be out of the question. The key, with even the cheapest suit, is that if you can find a tailor that can make it fit well, it will look better than the most expensive suit that fits badly. Furthermore, much of the world doesn't really know or notice the difference between a 4 figure MTM suit and a decently altered inexpensive off the rack suit (us nerds here will be able to spot the stitching, cheap material and fused construction, but not the average person). The real questions are do you care about such things and what types of social occasions or workplace is this suit going to be worn in?

CalGuy13

Reaction score
You want either 2 or 3 buttons (probably 2). Navy, charcoal, dark gray. No loud patterns.

Seriously, though, you can't do much with $200.

Banana Republic had a 50% off regular price sale a few weeks ago that brought their $550 suit down to $275. Banana Republic is hardly a high quality suit, but at $275 I suppose it's reasonable. You'd still need to pay for alterations, though.

Unless you need a suit *now*, save up until you get into the $500 range (with another $100 or so for alterations). At that point a lot of options open up. Brooks Brothers can get to $550 on clearance (I just ordered a Madison with side vents and plain front pants at that price), Suitsupply is in that range, etc.

Last edited:

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As many as possible; you want to get your money's worth.
rotflmao.gif

Srben

Reaction score
Okay, here is the deal: most here on SF, including myself, will tell you that the only "good" suits for under 200 will be those you find via thrift stores, SF classifieds and Ebay. Men's Wearhouse and Jos. A. Bank may have a sale that will work out to under 200 per suit, but it won't be anything anyone here would describe as good and, frankly the only way those suits will be serviceable is with another (minimum) 100 dollars worth of alterations.

With all that said, in the real world, people have budget constraints and 500-800 bucks for what an SF'er might consider a decent suit may be out of the question. The key, with even the cheapest suit, is that if you can find a tailor that can make it fit well, it will look better than the most expensive suit that fits badly. Furthermore, much of the world doesn't really know or notice the difference between a 4 figure MTM suit and a decently altered inexpensive off the rack suit (us nerds here will be able to spot the stitching, cheap material and fused construction, but not the average person). The real questions are do you care about such things and what types of social occasions or workplace is this suit going to be worn in?
Will you marry me?

rickrone

Reaction score
thank you,

where do i go to find a good taylor in orlando?

Ok, i will increase my budget. what brands should i stick with? what do you think about perry ellis or alfani suits?

thanks for your help

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thank you,

where do i go to find a good taylor in orlando?

Ok, i will increase my budget. what brands should i stick with? what do you think about perry ellis or alfani suits?

thanks for your help
...the internet. Look up tailors/alteration shops in your area.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
None, far to low a budget and if that is all you have then you must get what you can without fretting about labels. It will however be pretty awful.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here in Germany, Christian Berg makes great suits for 200. Don't know about Florida though. Try Dillard's.

jm722

Reaction score
eBay is probably your best bet. Secondhand and with alterations probably $200-225. I did it with a few suits when starting out and did very well with this. Still have the suits in my rotation

Last edited:

rickrone

Reaction score
eBay is probably your best bet. Secondhand and with alterations probably $200-225. I did it with a few suits when starting out and did very well with this. Still have the suits in my rotation
thank you, what should i look for in a good used suit?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads