• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are the best RTW moleskin pants you've found?

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cords and to a lesser extent moleskin, in Europe, have a decidedly countryside/small town bourgeoisie, perhaps middle aged (and their kids until they're old enough to push back) association. The Parisians would adapt it by picking brighter colours (purple, red, brighter greens, cornflower blue) to create what might be called the "French style" (think Jean-Pierre Coffe, thanks Julien Scavini). Middle-aged perhaps because these are the last to care, and younger Europeans wear jeans and lycra-fit poly blend atrocities.

I like it. I think it's perfect casual wear in any season but summer, and wear small wale cords in summer (usually burnt orange, burgundy - not as much of a fan of unnatural colours - and from Uniqlo, because they are really thin and therefore light). Much better use of cotton than jeans. I used to wear moleskin (usually M&S, altered for a closer fitting leg) but even a thin one is too warm in our tropical climes; I'll wear them on flights instead if going somewhere cold. Unlike flannels and other wool fabrics, cotton trousers can go in the machine, which is great for one or two week trips where you don't have time for a dry clean.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The @spiermackay moleskin trousers are great. They are my first moleskin trousers and I couldn't be happier with them. I actually put a press and cuff on my recent pairs.

2017-11-07 16.32.42_edited.jpg

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Their moleskin 5 pockets look nice. I might order a few of these from different brands and do a roundup review

https://www.landsend.com/products/m...-stretch-moleskin-pants/id_316890?sku_0=::UMB

490790_AE17_LF_1MX

I actually received a pair of the tan LE moleskin last week and like them a lot (especially at the $30 price point- used a 50% off code). I don’t have anything to compare them to since this is my first pair of moleskin, but the rise is pretty decent, and they’re fitted but not overly slim. The fabric seems to be pretty wind resistant, and aside from the slight stretchiness, the 2% spandex isn’t noticeable to the touch.

I haven’t worn them yet (it’s been to warm), so this is the only pic i have:
D0397ECC-99A4-4BE2-91D2-C1CC2A5C40C5.jpeg

Well worth the $30 imho- these will be a solid alternative to denim in cooler weather. It’s supposed to be cool here on thanksgiving- if it is, I’ll wear these and post a fit pic

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Partly why I like moleskin and corduroy so much. It's a staple of the ECHL as I understand it.
Took me a few seconds to remember what that acronym stands for, I thought you were referring to spectators at hockey matches.

The real ECHL, as in, what the person living in aforementioned ECH would actually wear, should be two sizes larger than what Mr. Boyer models, more Jeremy Clarkson than Colin Firth, and be more stained, with at least a couple holes or tears. This is also a function of the size of the wearer and his search for comfort. Assuming the link is not censored, I'll forward you to another staple of the EC.

Von Franz

Reaction score
I have two pairs of moleskin pants: a lovat green pair from Cordings, and a vintage chocolate brown pair from Polo.

The Cordings pants are pretty decent. The best aspect, for me, is the fit. The rise is nice and high, and coupled with the fairly narrow leg opening (a little over 8", if I had to guess), they work beautifully for an Anglo-Ivy look. I'd buy another pair and consider them a bargain if shipping from the UK didn't cost so much.

They have survived a machine wash or two, but I would not recommend it particularly. The inner finishing is rustic enough already without the toll the machine takes on it, and the fabric is prone to shrinkage. My bad.

I found the Polo pair deadstock on eBay about two years ago, and, frankly, they ******* rule. The rise is navel height, so probably around 13", and the legs measure around 10" at the bottom (again, guessing), with lapped outseams. The waist has buttoned side tabs instead of belt loops; an extended keeper; a button-flapped coin pocket on one side of the front (one of the rear pockets has a buttoned flap, too); and deep double forward pleats. I usually wear them with tweeds and sweaters, but lately I've been pairing them with a Samurai repro of Lee's Storm Rider jacket, whose shorter length suits their high rise beautifully.

The inner front closure tab is engraved "HF," which I figure might stand for "Hickey Freeman." Didn't they make for Polo at some point? Would be curious to know when these were manufactured.

-VF

Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have seen old PRL Preston model made to mole/cord, what you have sounds like something even older than dalton (their old pleat model before polo re launch), really old stock? All the dalton I have seen were by Corneliani

Von Franz

Reaction score
I have seen old PRL Preston model made to mole/cord, what you have sounds like something even older than dalton (their old pleat model before polo re launch), really old stock? All the dalton I have seen were by Corneliani

Yeah, if I had to guess I'd say 80s or early 90s. Maybe earlier.

Last edited:

Von Franz

Reaction score
The Dalton model was great. Would look a bit dated right now, but I am sure that style will come back.
Polo's Corneliani pants are primo, and that easier fit is well on its way back-- although, tbh, I've never felt that my Prestons were dated. Nice, easy, classic cut. With pleats, those are essentially on trend already.

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm holding on to most of my Corneliani-made Polo pants, they're so well built and the materials are ace. Like the rise and pleats also on most of them. On-topic, I too have a pair of Corneliani x RL chocolate brown flat front moleskin pants in ~33w that I'm probably going to list for sale soon (this is one of the rare pairs w/ a rise that doesn't sit well w/ me).

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I actually really like taperred dalton. One of my polo 2 suit was on pleated pants (which I assume was similar if not same as dalton). I had leg tapered, and it fits as slightly high rise slim pleat pants, which is not readily available besides Eidos sal?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I guess another fuy that does pleat slim is camoshita, not sure about rise though.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Peter Christian moleskin trousers. Good fit. Hard wearing. Reasonably priced.

jah786

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Very excited to see this thread! My brand (American Trench) is doing collab moleskin 5 pocket jeans with Shockoe Atelier, production will start in December, they will be for sale in January. We did moleskin jeans with Shockoe in January of '15 and they were an instant hit. They are some of the most comfortable and useable winter pants i have ever owned. I pretty much wear them every day once the temps go below 50 deg F. We only did one color, a dark brown, which we are doing again, but also adding a new color, olive. For those that don't know about Shockoe, they make jeans in their factory in Richmond, VA.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads