• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are the best jeans under $100?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
My home state is having a sales tax holiday but the item has to be under $100 (makes no sense)...and I need jeans. I found some Earnest Sewn under $100 but they are distressed and I want some dressy ones as well (ie. not faded)...

Any ideas?

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't sell yourself short just so u can save a couple bucks on tax. Buy stuff online if you want to save on tax.

Ott

Reaction score
^^^Seconding this Skip the beer for one weekend and save an extra $20 for a pair of APCs! you can wear these jeans for years, why not just spend a bit more to get something significantly better?

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At full retail, 1969 by Gap is probably the best value, in terms of fit, washes, denim, and construction. I believe they retail at $60-$98 ($98 pairs are selvage).

gp408895-00p01v01.jpg

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
My home state is having a sales tax holiday but the item has to be under $100 (makes no sense)...and I need jeans. I found some Earnest Sewn under $100 but they are distressed and I want some dressy ones as well (ie. not faded)...

Any ideas?

I've been charged taxes on some online purchases. I think it has something to do with seperate states determining whether they want to charge taxes on such transactions.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
I've been charged taxes on some online purchases. I think it has something to do with seperate states determining whether they want to charge taxes on such transactions.

I think if a retailer has some sort of presence in your state (even a warehouse), you will be charged tax. Otherwise, no tax. As far as I know :p

countchocula8

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
My home state is having a sales tax holiday but the item has to be under $100 (makes no sense)...
I think the idea behind this is to save money for the under privileged, especially low income families with many children who need new clothes and supplies for the upcoming school year. I guess if you have money to spend (ie buying a single article of clothing over $100) then you really don't need the benefit of tax exemption.... at least this is my take on it.

quid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5

it depends on the business license of the company + where the company has locations / licences throughout the country.

essentially, if the company has a location in your state, youre paying sales tax.

quid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
It's funny that only one pair of jeans was mentioned worth getting under $100 retail.

I saw this as a genuine challenge, but I guess that says a lot about the forum. Not necessarily a bad thing, though...

i think its funny that GAP can produce selvage denim for 98 USD a pair, while nudie is 265 in the states...

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by quid
i think its funny that GAP can produce selvage denim for 98 USD a pair, while nudie is 265 in the states...
If everything has a premium price like this, why can't movies do it, too? If I had to shell out $9 to see something good, like an arthouse feature, then shouldn't I only have to pay $4 to see something I know will be lower in quality/durability, like say...M. Night Shayamalan? But I digress...

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While $265 is silly expensive, it makes sense that a first-world manufactured, european-distributed product would be more expensive at retail in the states than a third world made, American-owned product. No doubt, RRDS is overpriced here.

If you have a loehamnn's/nordstrom rack/off 5th, etc., you can probably find an SF-approved pair of jeans for $100. If you're going mall-store, I've had better luck with BR and J Crew cuts than Gap, though it's a matter of degrees.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well... i think the gap selvage is made in italy, but i can check on that.

if you really want to spend the money, go to discount stores like tj maxx, and the like. ive found 2 pair of selvage rrl for under 30 each. you can find other "premium" brands too. otherwise, i would say save a little extra and get the apc, or save a bit more and get a pair of sugarcane 47s. either of those will last for years, tho i feel the canes are a much more timeless style, guaranteed to be in style when you finally wear them out.

JoMak_NYC

Reaction score
Does anyone own raw jeans from uniqlo. I stepped foot in the soho store for the 1st time and was in awe. I have found a new source for ALL my basics. Heard someone refer to them being looked down on in japan the way Gap is looked down upon here. I don't 'look down' on Gap (haven't been a SF long enough to) - so I am in the clear. Anyways - so yeah - how are their jeans. They're only $40 meng!!

chiggachu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoMak_NYC
Does anyone own raw jeans from uniqlo. I stepped foot in the soho store for the 1st time and was in awe. I have found a new source for ALL my basics. Heard someone refer to them being looked down on in japan the way Gap is looked down upon here. I don't 'look down' on Gap (haven't been a SF long enough to) - so I am in the clear. Anyways - so yeah - how are their jeans. They're only $40 meng!!

I have a pair of their one-wash jeans and their distressed selvage. I don't think they have raw jeans in the US stores.

I love the one wash. The fade/contrast is not perfect, mostly because the fit is a bit baggy and it's one wash, but they are pretty stiff and well made. The selvage jeans are super soft and higher quality, but I didn't see those in the Soho store when I went in last week.

I agree, the Soho store is amazingly nice and inviting. I think it's too new to have any amazing deals, but wait for the fall or winter for some great deals. I bought my jeans from the store in Edison this past winter and they were blowing them out - $20 for one wash and $40 for selvage. You can't beat that!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads