1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What are the best friends of your country?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ernest, Feb 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ernest

ernest Well-Known Member

This is just jalousie and competition. Most of people like French.

You criticize someone only if you feel in danger because he is better in some area where you would like to be the best. If you are the best, you don't need to criticize anybody.

As French are among the most famous and greatest modern civilisations in the world (culture, food, fashion, way of living, weapons, technology, history, pattents...) it is logical to find people being anti-French.

Who is anti Danish? Nobody? Why? Because it is a small unknown country that most of US even don't know the existence.

2. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Well-Known Member

(Fabienne @ Feb. 22 2005,15:55) Ernest, Haven't you noticed the particularly anti-French sentiment on the Style Forum? Alors pourquoi en rajouter... Fabienne
    This is just jalousie and competition. Most of people like French. You criticize someone only if you feel in danger because he is better in some area where you would like to be the best. If you are the best, you don't need to criticize anybody. As French are among the most famous and greatest modern civilisations in the world (culture, food, fashion, way of living, weapons, technology, history, pattents...) it is logical to find people being anti-French. Who is anti Danish? Nobody? Why? Because it is a small unknown country that most of US even don't know the existence.
    Oh, how I would love to respond to this. But then this discussion will degenerate to a pissing contest between the French and the Americans and nobody wants this. Ernest, you get a free shot.

3. ernest

ernest Well-Known Member

I like Americans  because  =

- they have european origin for most of them = like me
    - they have no taboo with money = like me
    - they started from scratch and managed to built the richest Nation in the world in several generations = so they are intelligent and have the sens of business = like me
    - they built a society based on freedom
    - they are open people = like me
    - they speak English

I just dislike the puritanism and the lack of culture of the  uneducated red necks and farmers (unluckily the majority of the population) who would like to lead the world and say what is good and what is bad when they even didn't know where was Irak before the war (same for Bosnia or even Yugoslavia).

I guess that these people don't use internet so much and don't care about clothes. They may prefer watching TV or playing video games. So here when have the most educated Americans.

PS
    America is so large and so different between one State to another that is is diffcicult to be called a country.

For exemple = what has in common
    a guy from Salt lake city with someone from Las Vegas or NYC ?
    a black from Harlem with a jews from Brooklyn?
    a mexicans from Tampa with a chinese from LA?
    a guy from the South with someone from Alaska?

I mean in the way of living and ideas.

4. Fabienne

Fabienne Well-Known Member

Digging his own grave, digging his own grave... (shakes her head). How about those Danes, huh? Â [​IMG]

5. alchimiste

alchimiste Well-Known Member

Ernest, maybe you should consider wearing bulletproof shoes.

6. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Well-Known Member

I might have some if you are in need Ernest, but really, these are good points:
    But then you had to go here:
    I resemble that comment.

I love video games, tv, and clothes, but I am educated, believe me.

7. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

(Fabienne @ Feb. 22 2005,15:55) Ernest, Haven't you noticed the particularly anti-French sentiment on the Style Forum? Â Alors pourquoi en rajouter... Fabienne
    This is just jalousie and competition. Most of people like French. You criticize someone only if you feel in danger because he is better in some area where you would like to be the best. If you are the best, you don't need to criticize anybody. As French are among the most famous and greatest modern civilisations in the world (culture, food, fashion, way of living, weapons, technology, history, pattents...) it is logical to find people being anti-French. Who is anti Danish? Nobody? Why? Because it is a small unknown country that most of US even don't know the existence.
    E, how big is France? how big is Denmark? are you sure that Denmark is a "small country" Denmark is a country that is happy with its position in life. it used to be an Empire, it had a few periods when it was very influential, and now it is a marginal country and has no pretense of imposing its way of life on the world. that is why nobody hates the danes. there are a few good reasons for liking the Danes - they really had a resistance to the Germans, but they don't talk about it to much, unlike some other countries that seem to talk about it a lot more about their resistance a lot more than it actually existed....

8. Fabienne

GB, did that really need a response other than a knowing smile? Or perhaps no response at all? [​IMG]

9. globetrotter

a smile works [​IMG] actually, I love france, and like the french, but I think that what I said about Denmark is very accurate - the biggest problem with France is that it hates to see that its time has passed. France is a lot like an aging diva who wants to believe she is still a young, atractive girl. instead of focusing on her positive points, she tries to recapture the type of power she had years ago.

10. Fabienne

Yep, it's a fairly common viewpoint. But the president of the United States still wants to have dinner with the aging diva.

11. globetrotter

(globetrotter @ Feb. 23 2005,09:31) a smile works [​IMG] actually, I love france, and like the french, but I think that what I said about Denmark is very accurate - the biggest problem with France is that it hates to see that its time has passed. France is a lot like an aging diva who wants to believe she is still a young, atractive girl. instead of focusing on her positive points, she tries to recapture the type of power she had years ago.
    Yep, it's a fairly common viewpoint. Â But the president of the United States still wants to have dinner with the aging diva.
    hey, an aging diva is still a diva....

12. Fabienne

13. Roy

Roy Well-Known Member

I am shocked and apalled that you didn't include the Dutch [​IMG] What about all the French people spending their weekends in Holland buying our ,euhm, coffee [​IMG]

14. Looking to improve

Looking to improve Well-Known Member

On which level would this make us friends of the French? MtB

15. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

Lovely.

16. T4phage

T4phage Well-Known Member

(Roy @ Feb. 23 2005,07:35) What about all the French people spending their weekends in Holland buying our, euhm, coffee  [​IMG]
    On which level would this make us friends of the French? MtB
    I concur with MtB's sentiment. [​IMG]

17. ernest

ernest Well-Known Member

You don't spend all your free time in front of the TV as you are on the forum.

18. ernest

ernest Well-Known Member

Are you kidding me?

19. ernest

ernest Well-Known Member

How on this board can tell me 3 cities in Danemark, 3 danish brands or 3 famous danish guys ? I don't even ask to pinpoint it on a map.

20. ernest

ernest Well-Known Member

(ernest @ Feb. 21 2005,05:45) I am French I guess that our friends are = Belgium UK US Swiss Italy Spain Portugal Romania Poland Serbia Russia Greece What are the countries you consider like friends?
    I am shocked and apalled that you didn't include the Dutch  [​IMG] What about all the French people spending their weekends in Holland buying our ,euhm, coffee  [​IMG]
    I can not put everybody. Holland seems to be more friend with Germany than with France but they are a friend country.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.