1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What are the best friends of your country?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ernest, Feb 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Well-Known Member

I thought you didn't like farmers?

2. ernest

ernest Well-Known Member

And what about Japan, Germany, UK ?

They are at the same level as Congo?

What are the criterions to be as world power in your mind ?

3. ernest

ernest Well-Known Member

(ernest @ Feb. 25 2005,15:30) Furthermore i'd like to say that Hollands Agriculture is more efficient than the French. French agriculture is one of the best in the world and the best in Europe.
    I thought you didn't like farmers?
    In France, all farmers are working in brown suits, brown lace up shoes and green ties with green macs.. I just don't like this color....

4. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

God, the Dutch. The only thing in Austin Powers III I agreed with.

5. Roy

Roy Well-Known Member

That is a mistake Ernest. French Farmers are just producing to reach EU quota's so they get payed... As Drizzt mentioned. They had to boil down good wine to alcohol... Wouldn't happen here.

We actually have very few farmers. The ones that there are, are producing on a far more efficient scale than the French. And Guess what, they sell everything they produce as well...

6. drizzt3117

I have four criteria: Large economy (> $5T) Language base (English and Chinese are the two most commonly spoken languages in the world, Mandarin #1 with > 1B native speakers, English #2 with ~500M native speakers, french is 10th btw, http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/topte...anguages.html) Large military, with nuclear weapons Cultural influence The UK would be the closest non-world power to attaining world power status, followed by France, and then Russia.

7. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Well-Known Member

8. Roy

Roy Well-Known Member

It's just that Goldmember was so, so German [​IMG]

9. Roy

Roy Well-Known Member

10. ernest

ernest Well-Known Member

11. Roy

Roy Well-Known Member

12. nightowl6261a

The question posed about a world power and what it means:

I remeber a time, 9/10/2001, I was in a pub having a fight with a British friend over how Americans always want everything for themselves and done their way, all because I wanted to watch a football game on the tele in an empty pub, and the pub would not serve food except in the restaurant area, and it really bothered me, what was the difference. Well she got all mad because I refused to move into the restaurant area to eat and got all pissy about how the whole world revolves aroud the US, how we think we are the "Super Power" that rules the world.

Well, of course we all know what happened the next day, and what will you know, but the world shut down, economies began to unravel, and the world became a scary place...all because of "America"....what is the moral you may ask.

A Super Power is a country that can solely control the lives of the rest of the world. Do you think that if the bombings had happened in Paris, the worlds airports would have shut down, the stock market would have been effected nearly the way the world markets were effected. I do not believe so IMO.

13. drizzt3117

India isn't a world power yet, although it has the potential to be in the future. Their issue is that they don't have a good resource base, and that will be an ongoing issue.

China is already a major player economically, just look at how the EU is suffering because of China's ability to undersell them due to their undervalued currency (tied to the dollar) They are politically important, and have emerged as at least a regional superpower. Although they have laid low recently militarily since their duel with India in the 60s, in this new century, rest assured, there will be issues in Asia going forward.

14. drizzt3117

One interesting note, there are more people speaking Indonesian and Portugese than French now...

15. nightowl6261a

16. drizzt3117

The only products that are somewhat french that are in the US are Airbus (which are not only French), wine, that's about it. Actually the Netherlands have a larger presence in the US, with Philips and Shell...

17. nightowl6261a

My point exactly, actually the Brie that we buy from the market is French. So there is some cheese.

18. Roy

Roy Well-Known Member

Actually, I often find that American products are considered as cheap and disposable. American cars will never become a huge succes in Europe. Cadillac is making an effort now, but I don't think they'll succeed. General Motors as a whole is doing OK with the Opel and Saab brand. But they were German and Swedish before. Levi's and Timberland are extremely popular of course, so are McDonalds, Burger King, American Movies and Music. But I think you are doing your country short if you would put it as simple as that. Also, there were some damn good European entertainers, singers and bands (Beatles/Rolling Stones anyone?). Robbie Williams is extremely popular in Europe, I would say he is one of the most popular of all artists in at least my own country. Only DJs are more popular here.

America is simply the most influential nation at the moment in world politics. As is often said, America is the worlds policeman. Whether we like it or not. But I had this discussion before. It is a role that some nation will take up anyway. I am perfectly happy with America in that role.

19. ernest

ernest Well-Known Member

It is obvious that a country of 1.2 billions of people who just have started to consume is an important world market...

How can 62 millions play against 1.2 billions in term of economy?

Being a world power is not only economy or army.

How can you explain that you all are talking so much about French and not 25 time more about Chinese ?

Why is Paris the most visited city in the WORLD? And France the second most visited country in the WORLD?

French have a culture and a civilisation that US have not (and it is normal because a 200 years old "country" like US can not have the same cultural background as a 1 200 year old Nation like France).

They have an influence on western and african worlds that Chinese have not.

France is at the origin of many ideas and many pattents that people use nowadays.

If you take in account the small number of people in France (62M) against China and the size of the country (25 less than US), the ability of French to influence the world is one of the highest in the world...

Look at :

- what you like the most to eat (cheese, bread, wine, best restaurants and more tastefull dishes...)

- what your wife would like tyo wear and what yourself may wear (Dior/YSL/Chanel/Lanvin/Charvet/ Cartier/Weston...)

- what you believe in (bill of human rights and freedom)

- how you think (logic and philosophy)

- what book you like to read (French writters are rather famous I guess)

- which cities you like the most and where you would like to live

France is everywhere...... Where are China & US?

20. nightowl6261a

The number one selling car in the world and Europe for many years was a Ford, the Fiesta...although cheap and disposable, it was number one, and doing well in many other countries are some other Ford products that sell quite well.

John Fleming, president, Ford of Europe said: "The Fiesta is one of the most successful European small cars ever. Over its 29-year history, it has played a significant role in the development of the European auto industry. We will ensure the Fiesta will continue to play its part in the future, delighting customers and remaining one of the main contributors to a successful Ford of Europe organization."

And I was not geralizing the accomplishments of American biz, rather the ordinary things that do not take a lot of thought process. As to the entertainers, yes there are very good ones in Europe, however; few make a splash as did the Beatles or the Stones outside of the music industry...yet when in London at a rave not long ago, half of the music being played was American pop stars like Justine, Christine, Brittany...etc

Did Ernest decide to go to bed?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.