• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are the best activities to add to your resume?

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Random story: A few years ago I interviewed a kid on campus who had something like "Online poker player with six figures in career winnings." Found out during the interview that I actually knew him by his Full Tilt handle, and pulled hard to get him hired.

He quit after 3 months when he had the revelation the playing poker part time beats 80 hour weeks an an excel jockey, but that's beside the point..

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Random story: A few years ago I interviewed a kid on campus who had something like "Online poker player with six figures in career winnings." Found out during the interview that I actually knew him by his Full Tilt handle, and pulled hard to get him hired.
He quit after 3 months when he had the revelation the playing poker part time beats 80 hour weeks an an excel jockey, but that's beside the point..

See...him quitting after 3 months would have been the *first* thing that popped into my head upon reading that

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But tell me you ran a marathon? Whoop-de-do. So have I and everybody's nanna. It's lame and I feel the same way about the boxing thing- I belonged to a boxing gym in college and boxed on and off for years. The woman who threw it on her resume that I saw recently struck me as wanting to make a very transparent attempt to seem tough or aggressive and I was not impressed..

I agree - marathoning isn't all that impressive anymore, but a sub-3 marathon probably would impress me since that takes serious dedication. But then I would have to tell them that my job doesn't allow enough time to train for stuff like that.

mcbrown

Reaction score

Tough Mudder, seriously? Why not throw your bench press on there why you're at it. A resume is not a ******* list of your weekend activities, it's a relevant summary of your professional career.
+infinity You have no idea who will be interviewing you, and what you think is impressive on a resume might be a joke to your interviewer. If you aren't prepared to speak in depth about something on your resume with someone who knows a ton more about it than you do, then do not put it on your resume.

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol I can't believe this thread is still going. I was hoping it would die because of how dumb it is and the dumb **** I posted in it. I have a habit of saying stupid stuff without thinking. Don't worry, I didn't put Tough Mudder on my resume lol.

Currently redoing my resume right now and it's pretty solid. Trying to change my work experience bulletins into more specific accomplishments than general "worked as a team and with clients to meet tight deadlines" kind of crap. So I think it'll be a lot better than it used to be, at least.

I'm also finding out that networking is more important than my resume, and found out that family/friends know some pretty high-up people in the industry I'm trying to move into, who are helping me out a ton. The resume's only a small part of getting the interview so I'm not as concerned about it anymore.

mcbrown

Reaction score

I'm also finding out that networking is more important than my resume, and found out that family/friends know some pretty high-up people in the industry I'm trying to move into, who are helping me out a ton. The resume's only a small part of getting the interview so I'm not as concerned about it anymore.

Nepotism FTW.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The moral of this thread: no matter what you put (or don't put) on your resume, someone is either going to like it or not like. All people (interviewers and hiring personnel included) are different and there is no cookie-cutter formula that is going to impress (or turn off) everyone. One set of people might be interested in what you put under "interests" and another set of people might find it "borderline annoying."

I have had things on my resume in the past that would turn people like CTGuy off but that have become conversation starters during interviews that have helped me land the job. Bottom line is, I wouldn't want to work for a guy that's offended by the fact that I have boxing on my resume anyway. The guy that reads "boxing" on there and then proceeds to discuss the topic with me for 10 minutes because that's one of his interests as well - that's the guy I want to work for (figuratively of course, in reality I don't want to work for anyone).

Last edited:

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The moral of this thread: no matter what you put (or don't put) on your resume, someone is either going to like it or not like. All people (interviewers and hiring personnel included) are different and there is no cookie-cutter formula that is going to impress (or turn off) everyone. One set of people might be interested in what you put under "interests" and another set of people might find it "borderline annoying."
I have had things on my resume in the past that would turn people like CTGuy off but that have become conversation starters during interviews that have helped me land the job. Bottom line is, I wouldn't want to work for a guy that's offended by the fact that I have boxing on my resume anyway. The guy that reads "boxing" on there and then proceeds to discuss the topic with me for 10 minutes because that's one of his interests as well - that's the guy I want to work for (figuratively of course, in reality I don't want to work for anyone).

+1

the job I have now, I had "lapsed gym rat" on my resume.

HelloIDistance

Reaction score
When I was 13 I masterbated so much that ******* had a sore spot on it. Should I put this on my resume guys?

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When I was 13 I masterbated so much that ******* had a sore spot on it. Should I put this on my resume guys?

Only if you did it with a bunch of other guys in a circle jerk - shows teamwork.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads