• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are some good full outfit ideas for a fit military man to impress on a date?

bobthebuilder

Reaction score
I am pretty sharp in uniform, but lacking in the civilian clothes department. Any advice is much appreciated.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you're going to have to provide more information before you get any useful advice.
how old are you? where are you going on the date? Where do you live? What clothes do you currently have? If you're planning to buy an outfit (or parts of an outfit) what is your budget?

bobthebuilder

Reaction score
you're going to have to provide more information before you get any useful advice.
how old are you? where are you going on the date? Where do you live? What clothes do you currently have? If you're planning to buy an outfit (or parts of an outfit) what is your budget?

I am 29 years old, trying to attract a mature sophisticated type of woman. I would like advice on both casual attire for mid scale dining, to semi formal attire for higher end dining as well. I live in Washington state, though my duty station will change in the next year overseas to Europe. I would like ideas on casual date outfits that don't break the bank, sub 200$ (doesnt have to be expensive) and formal sub 500$.

Dressing nice on dates can bring another dilemma however - your dates under dress in comparison and this can have a backfiring effect.

For casual wear, I enjoy wearing levis. I have a nice expensive bomber jacket for colder weather to wear and some fairly decent button up shirts.

I only have a suit for formal wear, and this is an area i need probably the most improvement. However, I have not met the kind of woman that expects fine dining on the first date and it may not set the best precedent to focus on formal dates to expensive restaurants.

Essentially, to put it bluntly, I want to round out my wardrobe to have the best chances of attracting a quality future wife.

Thank you for your assistance.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A very short answer, as that's the type of issue best explored in a consultation:
Dark-wash designer denim, button-front shirts (maybe not as formal as white dress shirts but surely not camp shirts), at least one single-breasted, notch-lapel wool odd jacket (sport coat) probably a dark shade of blue to start with, and quality dress shoes (medium- or dark colored, not bicycle- or square-toed).

johnnymiz

Reaction score
Firstly, thank you for your service
you need the basic gentleman's wardrobe...and you don't have to buy it all at once.
2 suits.. .one blue, one grey
a few conservative ties...blue/maroon stripe, red with dots, yellow with dots, dark blue
3 sportcoats... 1 classic navy blue blazer, and a blue/grey and a brown-ish
some chinos in khaki, blue, olive, maybe a darker tan
2 pair of wool pants
some button down oxfords in white, blue, yellow, blue white stripe
nice jeans
a few polo shirts
shoes...black cap toe oxford for anything on the more formal side, brown brogues for a little more casual, and maybe some tan suede lace ups for really casual.
pretty much all of this will mix and match well and cover all your bases.
(im going to mostly use Brooks Brothers for examples because it's easy and the quality is ok and they always have sales, but it will be up to you to do some shopping for your price points)

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No comment on that.

Ties are not for dates, except for perhaps a high-powered executive.

A pair of wool pants isn't a bad idea, but on a young man in the Pacific Northwest there rarely if ever would be a date situation where it is definitely the right choice. Such a pair probably should be in dark gray.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads