• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are some good brands for zippers?

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in knowing which companies makes good zippers?

Metal Circus

Reaction score
I don't know if they're good or not, but YKK is damn near ubiquitous.

minya

Reaction score
YKK is great. Kind of like the Levis of zippers. Riri makes nice ones used by Spruce/CYC, too.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do really like the Riri ones on my spruce hoody.

However as wide-spread as YKK is, I do have some issues, mainly that they don't zip all the way down or up. How good are they exactly?
plain.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Talon zippers are a selling point on moto and vintage leather gear. I think it's just for the sake of original authenticity, though I'm not sure.

frideswide

Reaction score
Universal -- made in Kentucky, U.S.A.

The pin-lock Gripper Zipper is good too.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
riri is suppose to be the best zipper.
The gripper zipper is sweet to but you gotta pay for both.

tangerine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Talon zippers are a selling point on moto and vintage leather gear. I think it's just for the sake of original authenticity, though I'm not sure.

I have a vintage leather moto jacket and the Talon zipper is noticeably better than zippers on newer leathers I've seen. Very sturdy, operates smoothly, in great condition though the jacket is 28 years old and has not been especially well taken care of.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What does YKK stand for, anyone know? Coincidence has it, I was bored on a bus just yesterday, saw a zipper, and started wondering.

Reaction score
YKK Group
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The YKK Group is a Japanese group of manufacturing companies. Founded in 1934 by Tadao Yoshida in Higashi Nihonbashi, Tokyo, it was originally known as San-Es Shokai (サンエス商会). It was renamed to Yoshida Kogyosho (吉田工業所) in 1938, to Yoshida Kogyo K.K. (Yoshida Kogyo Kabushiki Kaisha, 吉田工業株式会社) in 1945, and to YKK (YKK Kabushiki Kaisha, YKK株式会社) in 1994. The name YKK was first registered as a trademark in 1946.

Today the YKK Group is most famous for making zippers, although it also does business in other fastening products, architectural products, and industrial machinery.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
What does YKK stand for, anyone know? Coincidence has it, I was bored on a bus just yesterday, saw a zipper, and started wondering.
If you can read my zipper, you're standing too close.

Vaclav

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Riri is definitely the best.

They are Swiss,like the watches.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads