• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are some essentials?

stinger70

Reaction score
Im going to hit up the sales on sunday, im quite new to the whole style thing, so im just looking for some quick suggestions on pieces that i should be looking for. Im doing fine for jeans, here is what im interested in picking up:

- A coat/jacket. What kind of things are stylish and go well with a lot of looks. Im thinking of a "short" duffle coat, perhaps this (let me know if its terrible to help avert disaster!)

jacket.jpg

Besides that, i want some knitwear. I have a lot of shirts, and a couple of plain sweaters, but i have very little "outerwear" which you obviously need at this time of year for layering. What kind of things should i look for? I am slim so was thinking maybe a double breasted, shawl neck cardigan would work?

-Hoodies. What kind of hoodie should i look for to look stylish as opposed to like every other guy who wakes up in the morning and throws on a hoodie.

Any other essentials which you think would be worth looking out for? IF anyone can posts links of what kind of thing i should look for, that would be awesome....thanks.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
White/Blue striped OCBD
Light Blue OCBD
Navy Blue Blazer
Nantucket Red pants

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
for coats, i always believe you need 4 essentials:

2 that are thinner, perhaps even unlined, can be a casual blazer even, for warmer nights out, days that are not exactly cold but can suffice with a thin coat on.
one for very casual and one more dressy side

2 coats that are thicker, lined, wool, down filling, etc. double-breasted peacoat or just a utility nylon coat, or something. parka, the duffle above, etc.
one for casual and to work, and one for more dressy occasion.

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For hoodies, look at either MichaelJKrell or Wing+Horns. Both are common in the buy/sell thread. Amazing quality, several styles and thicknesses available, all kick ass. The "tiger fleece" hoodies definitely stand out from the average guy.

Wing+Horns has really nice outerwear, very "slim guy" friendly and can fit into a lot of different styles but they still have an edge. I have a W+H jacket that's tough as nails. Again, plenty in the buy/sell thread.

A lot of people will say Engineered Garments but their sizing is more traditional than slim.

You don't have to spend a ton of money on a nice coat. My peacoat was $40 from Old Navy and it's the best fit I found last year.

Don't forget about a couple of nice scarves and a couple of pairs of gloves!

stinger70

Reaction score
The wings and horns hoodies look really nice, unfortunatley living in england may be very hard to get hold of. I cant even seem to find sites that sell them when i googled it (except for one who was sold out of all smaller sizes.) If anyone has any links let me know.

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brown, navy and black cardigans of varying thickness and material make great layering pieces; especially chunky cardis can even function as outerwear in the right weather. You can pick up cheap, thin, layering beaters at places like Urban Outfitters, H&M, Zara etc...everyone is doing cardigan's right now, so it shouldn't be hard to find.

If you want warmth, cable knit knitwear is great. Also not terribly difficult to find.

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
check out OiPolloi of Manchester for cool jackets and such...I like the Baracuta style I have one in corduroy, wool, and the trad one. Solid V-neck sweaters in deep blue and green are essential for me as is a good fitting cardigan, and a full zip cable knit white/cream sweater. Gray wool pants are an essential as are brown slacks. A bunch of button downs a few ties and a nice pair of shoes and boots.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics